Need Info on Obscure A&M artist: Little Nell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorcartman

Hi,

I am hoping some A&M enthusiast can help me.

In the late 70's Little Nell, best known for her role in the ROcky Horror (Picture) Show, released several singles on A&M records.

There is rumored to be one more single that never got an official release but DID have some test copies pressed on purple vinyl.

The name of the track was "Hi Infidelity". I have no clue what the "B" side was. It was supposedly produced in 1976. (Which would make sense since this is when all of her other singles were produced).

So, con anyone confirm the existence of this single? Possibly through a catalog number discography? Or at least point my in the direction of someplace that would have a complete A&M records singles disography?

Any info would be helpful. If you want me to provide more info about her other singles that may help you to find info about this single, I would be glad to provide that.(Or, even if you just want the info for the hell of it)

Feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks in advance,
John Davey

Hi John,

Your query is the first I've ever heard of this. I DO have the three-song A&M UK single and the 12" version of her US single.

The particulars:
A&M (US) SP12031 12"
A-side: Fever
B-side: See You Round Like A Record

A&M(UK) AMS 7351 (red vinyl) 7"
A side: Do The Swim
B side: Stilettos and Lipstick
" Tropical Isle

As for the second tune on the B-side, the sleeve says "Dance That Cocktail Latin Way"; however both "Tropical Isle" and "Dance That Cocktail Latin Way" are among the words in the chorus, so I suspect there was a name change for that tune sometime between the sleeve printing and the label printing.

Another song entitled "Beauty Queen" was featured on the Rhino Records Rocky Horror collection SONGS FROM THE VAULTS, licensed from Charisma Records (not A&M). This collection is interesting because it contains four songs by Tim Curry from an unreleased Ode Records LP (produced by Lou Adler) which predated Mr Curry's three A&M LPs. Those tunes are: "Baby Love", "Just 14", "We Went As Far As We Felt Like Going" and "Biting My Nails"

--Mr Bill
Little Nell fan from way back (did you know she was an Olympic swimmer?)

edited for clarity

Mr Bill said:
Hi John,

Your query is the first I've ever heard of this. I DO have the three-song A&M UK single and the 12" version of her US single.

The info comes from a guy whom I trust not to make $#!^ up.
He knew a woman who worked at the plant at the time this record was test pressed. He said she actually took a copy but he has lost track of her since.

Then in the mid-80's, he was working with A&M to get the rights to release a compilation LP of the Little Nell singles. He asked about this track, they not only confessed it's existance, but, also were going to let him put it on the LP.
Accoriding to his story, the deal fell through becasue Nell had made some demands or something of the sort that made A&M just say, we don't want to deal with it."
Mr Bill said:
The particulars:
A&M (US) SP12031 12"
A-side: Fever
B-side: See You Round Like A Record
There is also a promo 12" of this with the long and short versions of Fever on either side.

A&M(UK) AMS 7351 (red vinyl) 7"
A side: Do The Swim
B side: Stilettos and Lipstick
" Tropical Isle
Well, there is of course the Yellow vinyl 7" of "Fever/ See You ROund Like A Record"(AMS 7374). It contains the short version of the track(3:11). Except for the special version of the Yellow vinyl 7" that was released in the "Fever Fan Kit"(it's a leaopard print box that comes with the single. a button, and a Nell flick book). The fan kit release of the 7" contained the full 5:06 version.

Let's not forget the original 1976 versions of the singles. Two single released in 1976. "Fever"/"Do The Swim"(AMS 7234) and "Do The Swim(Splash Splash_/"Stilettos And Lipstick"(AMS 7194). These versions of the songs are all very different from the versions later released on the red and yellow vinyl singles.

And of course, in addition to this, there a several different pressings of these records.
Mr Bill said:
As for the second tune on the B-side, the sleeve says "Dance That Cocktail Latin Way"; however both "Tropical Isle" and "Dance That Cocktail Latin Way" are among the words in the chorus, so I suspect there was a name change for that tune sometime between the sleeve printing and the label printing.
I would make the same assumption. There was also a single released before the red vinyl EP with "See You Round Like A Record"/"Dance That cocktail Latin Way"(AMS 7221) so I would assume that would be the correct title of the song.
Mr Bill said:
Another song entitled "Beauty Queen" was featured on the Rhino Records Rocky Horror collection SONGS FROM THE VAULTS, licensed from Charisma Records (not A&M). This collection is interesting because it contains four songs by Tim Curry from an unreleased Ode Records LP (produced by Lou Adler) which predated Mr Curry's three A&M LPs. Those tunes are: "Baby Love", "Just 14", "We Went As Far As We Felt Like Going" and "Biting My Nails"

These 4 recordings are actually still a part of the A&M family because ODE was being distributed by A&M at the time of these tracks. A promotional 12" single exists of "We Went As Far As We Felt Like GOing"/"Biting My Nails",as well as a 7" single of "Baby Love"/"Just 14"
Mr Bill said:
--Mr Bill
Little Nell fan from way back (did you know she was an Olympic swimmer?)

Yes, actually I did know that. I'd love to get my hands on that footage.

edited/formatted to make separation between Mr Bill's and John's comments clearer and easier to follow...

A Little Nell CD collecting all these cuts would be a great release. I didn't have a lot odf info on A&M UK single releases -- it's trouble enough collecting domestic US releases! But I do pick them up whenever I see them (which is how I got my "Do The Swim" 3-song single). Most of the UK A&M stuff I am interested in is the late 70s to mid 80s -- the punk and new wave era. I have a lot of Squeeze A&M UK singles and a lot of "one shot oddities".

Maybe Rhino will/can do a Little Nell collection. There was another Little Nell song I only heard as the soundtrack to an animated short. I can't remember the tilte, but it was written by Richard O'Brien and (as expected from Nell) is very heavy on the sexual double entendres. The animation featured a nut and a bot going through, shall we say, the motions. Of course, the bolt proceeded to get longer through the tune... This was back in the days when HBO would run shorts and music videos between films, a practice I WISH they'd return to.

--Mr Bill

There was another Little Nell song I only heard as the soundtrack to an animated short. I can't remember the tilte, but it was written by Richard O'Brien and (as expected from Nell) is very heavy on the sexual double entendres. The animation featured a nut and a bot going through, shall we say, the motions. Of course, the bolt proceeded to get longer through the tune... This was back in the days when HBO would run shorts and music videos between films, a practice I WISH they'd return to.

--Mr Bill

Now, this IS VERY interesting. This is something I've never heard mention of in 15 years if collecting ROcky Horror audio!! I don't suppose you remember anyhting else about this film? Who knows, it may be the track that I seek! Are you positive it was Nell and Richard? If it is, WOW! you just gave Rocky collectors a discovery that nono of us were aware of!!

Thanks,
John Davey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom