New Cover for "Gold"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actorman

I was just out on the Universal Music Group website and their listing for Carpenters "Gold" shows new cover art mirroring the rest of the titles in Universal's new "Gold" double-disc compilation series. I've not seen the new cover in stores yet. Looks like they're doing the same thing they did with "Yesterday Once More" when they made it "A&M Classics Volume 2" to fit in with that series. At least they kept the name the same this time. :)

I don't know how to insert a picture on this board so if someone wants to go to the site, capture it and post it that would be cool.

I actually like this new cover better. It's a nice shot of Rich and Karen. I always hated how the other cover was such a blatant rip-off of the "ABBA Gold" cover. (But it does sort of keep the feel of the original "Singles 1969 - 1973" album cover, I guess.) The "uniform packaging" of this series does add kind of a "generic" quality to it, but I have actually been pleasantly surprised with how most of the covers have turned out. They're actually going into the archives to dig up some nicer, less common photos to use. Much better than the "20th Century Masters - Millenium Collection" series covers were.

The big question is whether or not it will contain all new liner notes. I won't buy it just for the cover, but I will if the liner notes are different.

On a related note, the first "Video Gold" titles were released last week -- two volumes of Olivia Newton-John containing almost 40 videos total. Maybe "Carpenters Video Gold" will be coming soon! Wouldn't THAT be cool!!

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!
Scott

95b14438d41742e28aed21d8ac52d30b.jpg

I found a pic but it's really small. Same artwork as AS TIME GOES BY...well almost.

And the Carpenters already have a GOLD DVD. However, it used to be called YESTERDAY ONCE MORE but it's the same thing.

Hmmm... on their website the pic is tiny but when I posted it on here it got a lot bigger. Go figure.

I happened into a Best Buy yesterday and glanced through the Carpenters section. Surprisingly, they had NO copies of GOLD. They had a couple of the SINGLES 1969-1981 discs and a few of the regular stock albums. The last time I was there I saw rows upon rows of the GOLD collection. I wonder if they've been selling those off in preparation for the new cover...

Harry

[edited to fix typo on "1981"]

Funny, Andrew - funny!

Of course, I meant 1981 and not 1983.

Harry

[addendum]

It now occurs to me that the official title of the album in question has been all along:

GOLD: 35th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

So, officially the 35th anniversary is now over, so why not repackage the album for generic sales for the coming years?

Harry

So, officially the 35th anniversary is now over, so why not repackage the album for generic sales for the coming years?

Probably because Universal will repackage the disc in a year or two, add some different tracks, and make more money.

Just my Guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom