• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

New old Simon & Garfunkel album released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Today [3/25/08] marks the official release of Simon & Garfunkel's LIVE 1969 album. Recorded on their tour following the completion of the recording of their studio album BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER, the LIVE 1969 album was to be their follow-up. But the breakup of the duo caused these live recordings to be shelved for nearly 40 years.

There were rumors last year that the album would finaly be released, but for some reason it disappeared from the radar again. Now, a year later, the album, on Columbia's Legacy label is being sold for a time exclusively through Starbucks.

On tour with the duo in 1969 (and present on these recordings) were some studio musicians that they'd worked with on their albums and with names well familiar to anyone who reads album credits: Hal Blaine, Joe Osborn, Larry Knechtel, and Fred Carter, Jr.

Track list:

"Homeward Bound" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"At the Zoo" (11/27/69, New York)
"The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"Song for the Asking" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" (11/69, St. Louis, Mo.)
"Scarborough Fair/Canticle" (11/28/69, New York)
"Mrs. Robinson" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"The Boxer" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"Why Don't You Write Me" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"That Silver-Haired Daddy of Mine" (11/15/69, Long Beach, Calif.)
"Bridge Over Troubled Water" (11/28/69, New York)
"The Sound of Silence" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"I Am a Rock" (11/8/69, Carbondale, Ill.)
"Old Friends/Bookends Theme" (11/1/69, Toledo, Ohio)
"Leaves That Are Green" (11/31/69, Detroit)
"Kathy's Song" (11/69, St. Louis)

Though the copyright date of this release is 2008, the liner notes are dated July, 2007, indicating that the album was probably readied last year and held up - perhaps just to fit into the Starbucks release calendar. There is no indication on the digipak packaging that it's a Starbucks-only release, so it's likely to hit regular retail outlets at a later date.

Harry

I have heard amid the "break-up rumors" that The Duo was going to release a Live album as their splitting did coincide with a "farewell tour" of some sort... There were a few "recorded dates" or at least were to be had the project not have gotten shelved...

Easy to see that their original label's current holdings wouldn't assist them in it getting released today, if Columbia records hadn't backed them back then...

Surely there are plans to make it to make it widely available, if it is likely to be a Starbucks-"exclusive"--we hope!!!

Dave

It will get a wide general release later this year. There is nothing on the package to indicate a Starbucks release at all. It comes in a nice-looking digipack with Columbia Legacy logos and labels.

Harry

I hate those exclusive releases. It takes away about 90% of the sales in a "tradititional" store. But, I can see why they do it...in exchange for the exclusive, Starbucks promotes the crap out of it and it probably sells better than it would have in the traditional model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom