New release: What If:

What would your reaction to a Herb Alpert Mega Box Set be?

• I'll buy anything with Herb Alpert's name on it

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I might buy it if I could scrape together the funds

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I'd try to find it on sale somewhere, but not pay full price

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I'd try to snipe it cheap on eBay

• I'd wait for a friend to buy it and dub his/hers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd sit this one out hoping the label would release individual albums

• This is too expensive - I'll keep listening to my old vinyl

• I don't even like Herb Alpert - No Sale!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
First off: I know nothing. This is just an exercise.

Suppose, just suppose, that there's a giant box set in the works of Herb Alpert material. Career spanning like Definitive Hits but all-inclusive like the Sinatra "suitcase". This would be a massive box set containing all 34 albums that Herb has released over the years, plus maybe some unreleased tracks that might fill up a 35th or 36th disc. OK, that's too many discs, so lets assume for this exercise that many of the TJB albums are doubled up. That would get the set down to around maybe around 25 discs. We're talkin' massive and all-inclusive. Everything from "The Lonely Bull" up through the Colors album. In order. Everything. Fill each disc to capacity and maybe you'd get it to around 20 discs. I'm just guessing off the top of my head here.

OK, so you've got say 20 to 25 discs in a box set filled to the brim with everything Herb Alpert has recorded. Let's say that these tracks are all mastered to the best quality available - better than Definitive Hits in the TJB category, but still maybe not as wonderful as you'd like. The master tapes are what they are and the best has been done with them. This is it - the best you'll ever get. Most might sound pretty much like what's already been released on CD, maybe with a minor tweaking of the overall sound.

So what would a mega-box set like this be worth to fans? Who'd buy it? At 20 discs, the list price might be $300. At 25 discs, it might be $375.

I'm curious as to how many here would buy something this big.

Harry
...just wondering, online...

I picked the first option. I'll buy anything with Herb's name on it.

How about the rest of you?

Harry
...going theoretical, online...

As glorious as a set like that would be, and it WOULD be glorious...I'd have to replace my albums one at a time...I just can't justify 375 bucks for an album purchase. I doubt that very many others would, either...so I don't really think that a megasized box set would happen. Rather, I would imagine that the catalog would be available in sections; the first 5 albums that GREATEST HITS came from would be the first installment, then WHAT NOW MY LOVE through BEAT OF THE BRASS...etc. I would doubt that GREATEST HITS and FOURSIDER would be included, because they would be duplicates. I doubt that there would be any rarities, but I'd LOVE to have a DORE ALPERT CD in the mix, as long as we're dreaming...

This is my take...

Dan

I'd buy as much as possible as soon as possible. I'd much rather prefer separate reissues, that way I won't go into debt so easily. :) The way I usually bought Sinatra reissues was by getting at least two or three at a time, but that's mostly because there is so much Sinatra material at any music store. If you look for reissues by someone like Percy Faith, CDs won't be as numerous. I'm hoping to see a whole row full of Alpert/TJB material.

Still in all, I'd buy a box set anyway... I mean look how patient we've all been... it will definitely pay off.

Joe, all of a sudden in the mood to start saving up the green stuff...

I also chose the first option.

Look, I was stupid enough to pass on the original CDs when I worked in a record store full of 'em...I'm not going to make that mistake again!! In this case, price is no option. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Box Set or bust!!! :wink:

Jon

...with thoughts of opening a "Herb Alpert Box Set" savings account, online...

While saving money is always a good idea, REMEMBER - this is all hypothetical. There is no official announcement of any kind. I thought this scenario up yesterday while mowing the grass! (Well, you gotta do SOMETHING with your brain while cutting the grass!)

Harry
...manicured lawn, half-baked ideas online...

I'd go for the whole thing myself. Why not? And I would definitely get it right away, since history has shown that Herb's stuff goes out of print rather quickly. And hypothetically it would have great liner notes as well, right? :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Oh, of course. Liner notes would be a veritable book!

Harry
...dreaming on, online...

Sort of a Mosaic box set idea then: The Complete Recordings of Herb Alpert. :)

In this day and age, to NOT do such a set as this one in a CD/SACD hybrid is heresy. The more of these they make, the lower they'll be to produce. I just got a handful of SACD titles for $14.99 each in fact, including finally a copy of Peter Gabriel's Up (which is a hybrid). It's getting so listening to CD isn't as pleasant as it used to be. I'm finding that 16 bit / 44.1kHz digital is very limited in resolution, and DSD is just so much more natural and analog sounding. I'd pay a small premium for a Herb box (or even individual reissues) if they would be properly mastered to hybrid discs.

I'm still a proponent for two separate TJB/Solo box sets. But that's just me.

Oh...and the final option you know would be "I'll download the tracks and not buy the set", but I know (or at least hope) we're all above that here... :confused:

I'm with Neil on the "should be two separate sets" issue. One TJB, one post-TJB. I would put the "T. J. B." records in with the post-TJB albums.

To make things a little more affordable for the average Joe, I would maybe also consider splitting "post-TJB" into two sections: "The Pop Years" (up thru KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME) and "The Jazz Years" (everything since then). I realize that most of the albums between CONEY ISLAND and KYEOM contain at least some jazz, but the ones post-KYEOM are more overtly jazz (and less popular).

Having said all that, I would have to pick "I'll buy anything with Herb's name on it" (even though I passed on COLORS and don't like much of his more recent material). I usually buy box-sets because of the booklet, and then I make my own compilations for everyday use, so I'd have fun with a set like this no matter how many "volumes" it encompasses.

Looking at it from a label's point of view: it's pretty obvious that Herb's best years were with the TJB. Not that some of his solo stuff isn't excellent - it is, particularly the '80s stuff. But I think most people would want to buy just a TJB set, leaving the solo stuff sitting in the bins.

So if I'm a label (or artist) contemplating such a release, I'd have to weigh several factors. Would sales of a TJB-only set outpace the solo efforts at a lower price be enough to overcome the higher-price factor of an all-encompassing set? Or would there be enough interest in the TJB to sell the higher-priced full-career set?

Interesting questions.

Harry
NP: Rick Steves' Europe on the TV[/i]

Good points made by all. Then again, given the history of reissues and "best of" sets, they usually include recent material. I assume the reasoning being that new stuff sells. I don't buy it. The buying public wants the TJB. I can't tell you how many times I've been to Tower and seen the Alpert bin full, only to return a week later to find them gone. Alpert sells. Bottom line.

I like the "two-set" idea: One being a set of TJB albums (through You Smile and Coney Island); the other composed of Herb's amazing solo material. A win-win situation. Reality tells me that Herb has several generations of fans. Some may like the TJB, others later material. Two sets would cover a wide area of demographics. Just a thought.

Hypothetical or not, this is a fun thread...thanks Harry! I'm enjoying this immensely. Question is: are you reading this Herb??? We Cornerites (and many others) certainly hope so!! :wink:

Jon

NP: Nothing...they just called me to dinner!

Harry said:

Harry

Wow!! You said it, Harry!!! Almost as big as the Box Set, I would imagine!! :wink:

Jon

...wishing this box set would "Step Out Of A Dream" (just had to throw Sergio in there), online...

I would definitely buy a TJB box set. I'd have to think about a box set of solo material.

Kenny

Good point on the solo material, although it's hot stuff. Here's what a solo set would include:

Just You and Me
Herb Alpert/Hugh Masekela
Main Event Live!
Rise
Beyond
Magic Man
Fandango
Blow Your Own Horn
Wild Romance
Keep Your Eye On Me
Under A Spanish Moon
My Abstract Heart
North on South St.
Mignight Sun
Second Wind
Passion Dance
Colors

Seventeen titles...whew! I never realized how many post-TJB recordings there actually were!!

Here's a question: is Bullish to be considered a TJB or solo effort? If, indeed, Bullish is a TJB album, wouldn't it be included in a TJB set? Silly question, I know, but I've always thought of Bullish as more of a solo effort with the addition of the TJB.

Jon

...wishing this would all come to fruition and full of hope, online...

^ Another good reason to lump it all together in one big box. They wouldn't have to decide about Bullish.

I've always considered Bullish to be a solo effort. There are no members of any "Tijuana Brass" or T.J.B. on the recording - so it's a no brainer: a solo recording with the words "Tijuana Brass" on the cover, more or less celebrating the reunion tour.

And it SOUNDS like a solo album.

Harry
NP: early morning silence

Harry said:
I've always considered Bullish to be a solo effort. There are no members of any "Tijuana Brass" or T.J.B. on the recording - so it's a no brainer: a solo recording with the words "Tijuana Brass" on the cover, more or less celebrating the reunion tour.

And it SOUNDS like a solo album.

My sentiments exactly. That would bring our "what if" set of solo material to eighteen selections. I like the thought of it. I'd invest in both sets if, indeed, they came to fruition.

Jon

...with visions of box sets dancing in my head, online...

Harry said:

Harry

CHA-CHING!!!!! Yes, I suppose that would make such an expensive purchase worth-while! :laugh:

Seriously, if I were into The TJB and if something could make Dave give up his DEFINITIVE HITS and his '45's that supplement it (including his HEART's "Magic Man" '45' he plays before his Herb Alpert's "Magic Man" '45'), then Money Is No Object!!

'Course whether we hear a complete WARM album finally making it onto CD is another story! :wink:

Kat

...Dream On... :D

And, of course, what would a box set of Herb's music be without an accompanying DVD set of his TV specials?

Hypothetically, of course. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...thinking one day this could actually happen, online...

Wow, Captain...it just gets better and better!! :wink:

Jon

...imagining just where the DVD set would go in my new entertainment center, online...

I would have to scrape the money together, but I would absolutely buy it, either new or on ebay. Like everyone else on this board, I've waited TOO LONG for quality Herb product (Oops..that sounds BAD!) and would snap it up one way or another..... :laugh:

Yeah, I'd buy it. Even though it would cost a lot, I think it would make more sense to release all the material in a boxed set rather than releasing everything separately. I think that a CD of bonus material should include concert recordings, studio outtakes, demos, any songs performed on the group's television specials. (Any of you folks at Universal reading this?) :tongue:

alpertfan said:
Yeah, I'd buy it. Even though it would cost a lot, I think it would make more sense to release all the material in a boxed set rather than releasing everything separately. I think that a CD of bonus material should include concert recordings, studio outtakes, demos, any songs performed on the group's television specials. (Any of you folks at Universal reading this?) :tongue:

Once again, it's Herb's call...HE owns the masters...UNI really doesn't have any bearing on what happens. I'd really like a big box set with a huge book of liner notes and an extra disc devoted to rarities...but I'll take what I can get, WHEN I can get it. C'mon, Herb...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom