New Sergio Songs... (wishlist?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

I was reading that Sergio is back with A&M, and I started to think about what songs would be interesting for him to do...

I think we could create a nice little list to present to Sergio...

My personal choice would be "La Vie En Rose" gearing more towards Grace Jones version. Let's see how many languages Gracinha can sing it in. Gracinha doing french would be really cool. She did spanish on Picardia....

As interesting as remakes of Brasil'66 ('77) tunes would be... I think they have been done once, why do it again? Makes me think of "Waters of March" in '74 then again in '78. Some days I like '74 better, some it's '78 (or should I say "88") Also, it makes me think of "Mas Que Nada" in '89. EEK!!!

trevor

You know, it's hard to say just what songs Sergio will come up with for the album. I mean, Brasil '66 covered a lot of ground. Paul Jeromack and I talked about this very thing on the phone last week. I said, "I wonder who he would get if he decided to do 'Like A Lover' on the CD?" With that we both said, "Celine!" in unison. One of those odd moments when Paul and I finish each other's sentences in regard to Sergio (our experiences, feelings and thoughts about Mendes mirror one another to a tee...it's uncanny sometimes).

I may sound like a broken record (or in this case a broken CD?), but we'll have to wait and see what and who Sergio comes up with for this project. Like all of you, I'm thrilled to see him return to A&M Records -- old home week for him. However, I hope this will definitely have the "Mendes" trademark; not that of a slick pop production aimed solely at a commercial market.

Jon

I like the La Vie en Rose idea.

I don't want to offend anyone, but if Joe Pizzulo sings another cheesy ballad :hurl: (or Celine Dion)

I think he could easily get Lani to perform on the new album.

Sergio needs a strong english lead singer, like Lani, Bonnie, Marietta, Carol, etc.. What about Jessica who's been touring with him?

Brasil_nut, do you think Jessica could do a strong "power ballad"

Jessica is capable of singing pretty much anything thrown at her. In Las Vegas earlier this year, she sung everything from Portuguese solos to "The Waters Of March" without so much as a sour note. I'm sure she could sing a power ballad without flinching an eye. :)

Jon

Brasil6699 said:
I don't want to offend anyone, but if Joe Pizzulo sings another cheesy ballad :hurl: (or Celine Dion)

I think he could easily get Lani to perform on the new album.

Sergio needs a strong english lead singer, like Lani, Bonnie, Marietta, Carol, etc.. What about Jessica who's been touring with him?

As I mentioned above, I think Jessica could, indeed, handle anything given to her. What an incredible voice she has! Lani would be sensational for his return to A&M Records, agreed. After all, she did return for Brasil '86, Confetti (in the "Olympic Chorus") and in collaboration on "Never Say Never Again". Sergio has no idea where Bonnie Amaro is these days, so that's out (unless he's located her since...) Marietta performs every once in a while -- the last time being in Tokyo with Brasil 2000. Carol has retired from touring, although Gracinha says she makes an occasional appearance on the road. She's a definite option, seeing as Sergio has a history of recording with her.

In regard to Celine appearing on the album, no offense taken. Truth be told, we didn't like the idea either. Our conversation took place shortly after the announcement of Sergio's return to A&M. We were merely speculating. As I said before, hard to tell who will appear on the CD. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jon

I don't want ANY remakes (and certainly not ANY reprises) on this album.
And God forbid there should be a hip-hop 'Mais Que Nada' - but you KNOW there will be another less-good version on the album, mark my words!

I have to say, the more I think about it, the warier I am about this album. Maybe it's because I have such little feel or sympathy for what passes for good popular music these days that I'm not exactly hopped up with enthusiasm about Sergio trying to make himself more 'hip'. If it weren't for him taking what seems like an eternity to release any new material, Sergio does just find searching out new beats on his own.

I know I'm sounding grumpy, but I can't help it - the first day of Summer here and I needed a friggin' SWEATER. Oh, yeah, and it poured. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom