• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Odd A&M album names

Status
Not open for further replies.
W. B. Wrote:
And who could forget that famous album by Blood, Sweat & Tears, Johnny Cash?

It was actually a Johnny Cash album called "Blood, Sweat and Tears", not the reverse.
sjg
....excited about the BS&T album "More Than Ever" just released on CD, featuring the cut: "Hollywood". :D

W.B. said:
Rudy said:
How about Bad Company's song "Bad Company". Was it from their self-titled album, called Bad Company?
Oh, that's nothin' . . . Black Sabbath's very first LP had exactly that same scenario. Album title: Black Sabbath. And one of the tracks on that LP? "Black Sabbath".

Think I remember a group, album and even song with a video, back in the '80's--named TALK, TALK!! :D

Dave

jfiedler17 said:
Speaking of confusing A&M album titles, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Phil Ochs' not-actually-a-compilation "Phil Ochs' Greatest Hits"!
One clue that it might not've been a compilation was the fact that it had quite a different layout, picture etc., from the actual greatest-hits compilations (i.e. TJB, BMB, B'66) that A&M put out during that particular period in 1970.

Of course, that wasn't limited to A&M; the LP The Best Of The Moments (Stang ST-1019, 1973) was likewise a non-compilation album -- rather, it contained (among others) the Top 10 R&B/Top 20 pop hit "Sexy Mama."

Steven J. Gross said:
W. B. Wrote:

It was actually a Johnny Cash album called "Blood, Sweat and Tears", not the reverse.
sjg
....excited about the BS&T album "More Than Ever" just released on CD, featuring the cut: "Hollywood". :D
I know; I was merely being facetious. But it just goes to show you about how far confusion can go on such matters as this . . . and by the way, isn't it interesting that the group ended up recording for the same label as the Man in Black (although Al Kooper's original motivation for naming the group may or may not have had anything to do with that Cash LP title).

This reminds me of when REM released their Green album, and it turned out there was a band in Illinois called Green who in turn released an album called REM. :tongue:

Capt. Bacardi

I regard to Lucille Starr and Bob Regan; yes, they did tour under the name "Canadian Sweethearts", and that was the title of their first A&M album. There is a story behind the name, but I can't recall just what it involves.

Dan

Captain Bacardi said:
This reminds me of when REM released their Green album, and it turned out there was a band in Illinois called Green who in turn released an album called REM. :tongue:
Again, at the risk of repeating myself... Similarly, Nick Lowe, to "avenge" David Bowie's Low, did an album called Bowi (note the dropped "e" in both LP titles)...

--Mr B

W.B. said:
Steven J. Gross said:
W. B. Wrote:

sjg
I know; I was merely being facetious. But it just goes to show you about how far confusion can go on such matters as this . . . and by the way, isn't it interesting that the group ended up recording for the same label as the Man in Black (although Al Kooper's original motivation for naming the group may or may not have had anything to do with that Cash LP title).

Actually...the Johnny Cash album you're referring to was titled BITTER TEARS.

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Indeed, the Man In Black did release an LP with the BS&T title, around late 1962/early '63 (one of the tracks from that was an eight-minute-plus piece called "The Legend Of John Henry's Hammer"; on the cover, he's seen holding the kind of hammer used by the folk hero in question); Bitter Tears came out in '64.

Alas, there was no music group to my knowledge that was called Bitter Tears . . .

W.B. said:
DAN BOLTON said:
Indeed, the Man In Black did release an LP with the BS&T title, around late 1962/early '63 (one of the tracks from that was an eight-minute-plus piece called "The Legend Of John Henry's Hammer"; on the cover, he's seen holding the kind of hammer used by the folk hero in question); Bitter Tears came out in '64.

Alas, there was no music group to my knowledge that was called Bitter Tears . . .

I remember that album, at least the cover, now...sorry...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom