• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Odd noise in "In need to be in Love" RPO version

Florian

Hello everyone!

Has anyone else ever heard the odd noise in the "I need to be in Love" RPO mix? It happens multiple times during the song, I can hear it best at around 3:15 - 3:18 (when Karen sings "I know I've wasted to much time"). It is present on all Versions of the Album I've heard. I love the sound of the Album & this song but I notice this every time I am listening to it. I am unable to describe the what it sounds like, because I don't know the english word for it.

Last edited:
Has anyone else ever heard the odd noise in the "I need to be in Love" RPO mix? It happens multiple times during the song, I can hear it best at around 3:15 - 3:18 (when Karen sings "I know I've wasted to much time"). It is present on all Versions of the Album I've heard.

Can you describe the noise? On all versions of the song, Karen's lead vocal is double tracked which causes some 'shimmering' and there are also a couple of guitars licks being played way back in the mix.

Can you describe the noise? On all versions of the song, Karen's lead vocal is double tracked which causes some 'shimmering' and there are also a couple of guitars licks being played way back in the mix.
Sadly not. I edited my Post in the moment you Posted:
I am unable to describe the what it sounds like, because I don't know the english word for it.

I would know the german Word for it: Übersteuerung. But I think the Deepl translation is wrong here.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the word I was looking for. I hear some kind of artefact on Karen's vocal, which sounds similar to clipping. I have heard this before, but only on Albums with bad mastering, which obviously isn't the case here.

Edit: You could also describe it as "crackling".

Last edited:
The waveforms are definitely clipped in that song and other on the RPO album, at least on all of the versions I have from CD and downloads. Looking at that 3:15 section in Audacity, shows clipped, over-maximized waveforms, all attempting to shove about a db or 2 past the 0 limit.

The waveforms are definitely clipped in that song and other on the RPO album, at least on all of the versions I have from CD and downloads. Looking at that 3:15 section in Audacity, shows clipped, over-maximized waveforms, all attempting to shove about a db or 2 past the 0 limit.
Yup, all the Cd’s Japan, Target and Digital Download all have major clipping and off the charts red the worse are these times 2:00-2:20, 3:00-3:20, 3:30-3:50.

The black and white RPO Lp’s I ripped do not have this issue and have normal waveforms. Of course those LP’s (of which I have too many copies) are some of the worse vinyl from Universal (surface noise, pops crackles, just awful). To get a proper rip of that album I had to go back and forth between song and interludes from the black and the white to extract the best of the best tracks over many Lp’s and then put them back in proper order. I managed to do it but it took me forever and I’ll never do that again, ever!!

Yup, all the Cd’s Japan, Target and Digital Download all have major clipping and off the charts red the worse are these times 2:00-2:20, 3:00-3:20, 3:30-3:50.

The black and white RPO Lp’s I ripped do not have this issue and have normal waveforms. Of course those LP’s (of which I have too many copies) are some of the worse vinyl from Universal (surface noise, pops crackles, just awful). To get a proper rip of that album I had to go back and forth between song and interludes from the black and the white to extract the best of the best tracks over many Lp’s and then put them back in proper order. I managed to do it but it took me forever and I’ll never do that again, ever!!
The clipping is really annoying, especially when you consider that everything else sounds good on the Album. I hope that one Day the Album will be remastered without clipping. And @Rick-An Ordinary Fool: I can imagine how hard it was, to record the LP. I tried this with a MIA Vinyl, because I wanted to hear the Those Good Old Dreams Album Mix in good Quality. I'm still not completely satisfied.

Are the Japan and US cds the same or different edits of the songs? (Not including the bonus or course)
I don't know about the US CDs, but my Qobuz Download sounds different to my 2018 Japanese CD. (Ticket to Ride has a different Piano, etc..) So I guess there a multiple versions out there.

Do you think this is because he was forcing “up” her vocals over the mix and forcing “down” the choir in the background?

I don't know about the US CDs, but my Qobuz Download sounds different to my 2018 Japanese CD. (Ticket to Ride has a different Piano, etc..) So I guess there a multiple versions out there.
There are. Richard continued to tinker even after the CD was mastered. The download/stream versions are different from the CD/LP. The album really shouldn't have been released until it was done. Richard shouldn't have tinkered further. It's just caused confusion among fans and in some cases, people felt forced to purchase the CD and the download in order to get all the mixes. I myself haven't done that - neither will I. I"m just not that pressed.

Ed

Great ears! I hear the noise now but had to listen really closely. Never would have noticed that on my own.

Back
Top Bottom