Official "How I got my" GP, WNML, SRO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

hi all, how you all doing, great news I was at my local best buy today, and they had 2 of each copies of sro, going places and what now my love.
so I bought sro since I am getting the other 2 from amazon. the sticker on the front says THE BRASS ARE BACK. and like the other previously
released. the booklet is at the other end on the side like nornal cds are.
The inner picture is the same for the happening 45 sleeve and the sound is a whole lot clearer. and the separation is better than the original SRO
from Japan.and the front booklet has them in the bullring but a up close shot. and 2 pictures of herb directing the tjb in the studio with nick ceroli.
and the picture on the back of the booklet is the one on back cover of the album. so I paid $12.99 so it is worth the price.
bob

hi again, I went back to my local best buy and got going places and what now my love, again the sound is a lot clearer and separation is like sro.and I won't give away to much on it, but on going places, tijuana taxi I did not hear any drop outs at the end of the drum solo. and on what now my love. plucky has the strip-tease version and the hiss was taken out .and I was surprised best buy had them in already.
I counted them they had 4 what now my love, and 3 going places,and the guy in charge of the cd department told me they could not keep in whipped cream and other delights, they had to keep ordering it. so thay would tell you something again THE BRASS ARE BACK in full swing. herb I bet your glad.

bob

Hi Bob in Brooklyn,(and everyone else)

Thanks for posting about Best Buy. I went there at 6:30 and they had 2 What Now My Love and one SRO left so I cleaned 'em out. They were out of Going Places. Just have to wait till Tuesday....4 long days away!!!!

Since our Ohio contingent has been able to get things 'going places' early, we'll make this the official "how I got my discs thread" for this wave of TjB releases. Place all of your stories about stores, clerks, and online ordering adventures here.

Nothing interesting...amazon.com as usual.

Ordered GP, WNML, and SRO yesterday...got my LT and SOTB there; will get the next series there also. It has always been easy and reliable.

your right they are selling, I went back to our local best buy today and all of the what now my love which was 4, and going places 3, and Sro was all sold, all they had left was South of the border. so I am glad Herb, took the advice from Randy and reissued them. and he should be happy.

bob

Out of curiosity I went to Best Buy today but they didn't have the new releases. However, they really lowered the price for Definitive Hts, as if it were a clearance kind of thing.

Capt. Bacardi

I've seen DEF HITS in a few places in the $9.99 bin with other GH titles like the Universal 20th Century Masters Best Of's.

Usually I'm not very lucky at finding stores that break street date. I recall it happening only once with a local FYE store selling STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE on DVD a week or so before it was to be officially released.

Heck, I'll be lucky to find stores selling it ON release date - it always proves to be a challenge. I've got my backup copies on order from Amazon (with no word yet on shipping), and will make the rounds on Tuesday to try to un-earth some copies from the local stores.

I usually try Borders first. I can check their inventory online, so if I get a lead there, then that's where I'll head. Failing that, I'll go to a local Sam Goody store, probably the one that carried the first three on release day. After that it'd be Best Buy, but getting them to actually FIND what they've got in stock is sometimes a challenge.

Harry
...with just three days left, online...

Npt-so-Hairy Phillie Harry said:
I usually try Borders first. I can check their inventory online, so if I get a lead there, then that's where I'll head. Failing that, I'll go to a local Sam Goody store, probably the one that carried the first three on release day. After that it'd be Best Buy, but getting them to actually FIND what they've got in stock is sometimes a challenge...

I start with Tower as they're usually cheaper on the new arrivals. Then I hit Best Buy for the same reason. So far the Local B&N and Borders have not gotten these in the bins until a week after release (if at all). I avoid Sam Goody as they're mostly in the malls (I hate crowds -- I fear my agoraphobia is becoming more pronounced as I age) and worse yet they sell everything at 1c to $1.01 above list (an $18.98 CD goes for either $18.99 or $19.99), the bastoids. I'm still not 100% on ordering online, though I do a little of it. Of course, after I retire and my agoraphobia becomes clinical, what better way is there to live life but sealed in my house getting everything (groceries as well) from online sources? :wink:

--Mr Bill

I'd include Tower Records in the list as well, but due to its location being out of the way for me, it would be pretty far down on the list. From where I live there's a suburban Tower location about 15 miles away, and not in the direction of my work. It's in a town called King Of Prussia, the BIG suburb of Philly, where all of the techie companies locate, and there are lots of yuppie types living there, along with a huge mall complex.

From work, there's a Tower location in the northeast part of the city, about six to ten miles north, but I'd have to go through a very populous part are to get there.

In a pinch, either location is do-able, just not preferable. As I recall, it was that northeast location where I picked up the latest Carpenters box set on release day. I just happened to be passing that way after an odd before-work appointment.

Harry

However, they really lowered the price for Definitive Hts, as if it were a clearance kind of thing.

Maybe, once all of the "current series" is out, Shout Fac. will do a display-package thing for stores where they have a quantity of all the CDs in a display. Would be a great idea for Christmas, especially if they ahve a box set to add to the mix.

As of Monday evening here on the East Coast, I'm still without any of the new releases - I really didn't have the time to go looking around today. We had a "Day At The Phillies" today courtesy of my workplace.

I DID get an email that amazon had shipped them though, so it's possible I'll get them in tomorrow's mail. Nonetheless, I'll go searching in the morning on the way to work, and failing results, at lunchtime.

Harry
...now down to counting the hours, online...

Amazon say they shipped my CDs yesterday - so I ought to get them either at the end of this week or beginning of next!

Tuesday morning update - I stopped at two places on my way to work this morning:

BORDERS - even though I couldn't find it listed online as available, I thought I'd check anyway. They weren't in the racks, and the music clerk knew of them and said they weren't in yet - maybe Wednesday or Thursday, and they were getting ONE copy of each.

BEST BUY - nothing in the racks but three of the older titles. Clerk looked for them in the new stuff being put out, couldn't find them, looked them up on the computer. She found them there, but they were not listed as being "carried". She flat out said - "We're not carrying those." I didn't delve further as I assumed that she was a typical Best Buy idiot clerk.

So, now it's off to the lunchtime search...

Harry

TonyCurrie said:
Amazon say they shipped my CDs yesterday - so I ought to get them either at the end of this week or beginning of next!

Tony

Did you use Amazon UK or US? I used UK and I've heard nothing more!

Stephen

The lunchtime search yielded all three - at a Sam Goody store in a mall. They were all a dollar OVER list price, but since I'm a member of their REPLAY program, those dollars spent will translate into future coupons, so I really didn't mind (plus there was a mailer the other day meaning double points for this purchase, which I also combined with the latest STAR TREK: INSURRECTION DVD release for even more points!).

I'll post my reviews when I get a chance to seriously evaluate them.

Harry

I first went to Borders, but had no luck. The clerk looked them up and said they were supposed to have been here (and only one copy of each) but hadn't been shipped yet. Dejected I decided to try Best Buy down the block, and amazingly they had three copies of each! :thumbsup: My respect for Best Buy just went up. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

I was at my local Borders yesterday. A clerk was opening a bunch of new CDs up so naturally I checked on the new ones. They were in the computer but not the shipment. He said it would be a few days before they came. However I'm all set because my friend with the Shout! connection came through in spades Friday!!

He sent him (me) 2 each of WCAOD, SRO, WNML, and GP so I'm set for now...

I went to Best Buy today, found the "A" part of the Easy Listening section (sigh), and flipped to the tab labeled "Herb Alpert," only to be disappointed to find a couple of "Definitive Hits" and a "Lost Treasures." Turning to leave, my eye fell upon another "Herb Alpert" tab in the "H" section, where I found two of each of the new releases! So be sure to take clerk illiteracy into account in looking for these--or any other--CDs.

Cheers,

Greg Shannon :cool:

Stephen Vakil said:
TonyCurrie said:

Tony

Did you use Amazon UK or US? I used UK and I've heard nothing more!

Stephen

Amazon US, via the Corner!!

I went to Tower Rec. today during my lunch break from work. I grab one copy of each three albums - Going Places, What Now My Love & SRO.
I'm planning to buy my second copies (to keep them sealed) of each album this weekend from another store.

My backup Amazon discs arrived yesterday in the mail, so for the first time since the Shout releases began, Amazon got them to me on release day. So my Alpert purchases are now complete until the next wave - it's August something, right?

Harry

I've been checking TOwer, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble and Borders everyday since Firday (in hopes someone jumped the street date) but no such luck. SUre enough on the way home yesterday most stores had them out. I bought mine @ Tower where they were a dollar more than Best Buy. But when the clerk asked to see my ID (I paid by credit card) I used my military ID and got a 10% discount, which means each was 50c less than Best Buy's price. I was then a road hazard on the way home, reading the liner notes as I drove home!

It's weird to think that with this batch we finally are getting a TJB LP that wasn't previously on CD (domestically, anyway). The next batch will the one with two that were never on CD and will remain so until such time that Warm and all that followed it are scheduled for reissue...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom