• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Original Herb Alpert A&M CDs (TJB and solo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khojem

I'm wondering if anyone may be able to help me out.

I'm looking for catalog numbers and release dates for Herb Alpert's albums released on CD on A&M. I believe some were issued twice in two separate rounds a couple years apart.

Anyone know where I can find the original CD A&M releases besides eBay?

Thanks!

You can see the catalog numbers and approximate release dates in the discography at our sister site, tijuanabrass.com.

There was only one original CD release of the TJB albums - the first 6 albums plus THE BEAT OF THE BRASS and CHRISTMAS ALBUM were released domestically, and S.R.O. and THE BRASS ARE COMIN' were released in Japan.

SOUNDS LIKE and NINTH were never released on CD until the recent Shout!Factory reissues came out.

WARM and SUMMERTIME have yet to be released on CD.

CONEY ISLAND and YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS have never been released on CD either, nor has JUST YOU AND ME, Herb's first true solo album.

As for the other solo albums, everything from RISE onward was released on domestic CD. Check the Herb Alpert Solo Discography (also available from tijuanabrass.com) for release dates and catalog numbers.

eBay, dustygroove.com, amazon.com or gemm.com are probably your best bets for finding original A&M CDs. You can find links for Amazon and Gemm right here on the Corner site, and clicking those links helps support A&M Corner.

AM+CAT+86.jpg

A&M Pocket Catalog 1986

AM+CAT+UK+88.jpg

A&M U.K. Catalog 1988

AM+CAT+89.jpg

A&M Catalog 1989

AM+CAT+CANADA+89.jpg

A&M Catalog Canada 1989

AM+CAT+90.jpg

A&M Catalog 1990

As you can see, CD availability was somewhat spotty with titles not available in all markets. As mentioned in another thread, Fandango was missing as a CD for a good number of years, probably as an oversight.

Thanks Steve. Gee, my memory is that I picked up FANDANGO on CD in my "big grab" of all available Alpert titles in the digital format back in the '80s. It has the "9/88" designation on the ring, so I guess it was available sometime in late 1988, early 1989?

It's interesting to see the misspelling of "Masekela" in the Canadian listing above. Which reminds me that in the Captain's list, he didn't mention the HERB/HUGH album as being on CD, but it's companion live album has never been released digitally.

Harry

Based on my memory and these catalog pages, it seems like it must have been 1988 for Fandango on CD and it wasn't yet in the U.K. '88 catalog on CD. So, I'm guessing mid-year or later. And, it still wasn't in the A&M Canada '89 catalog.

I do have several World CD Guides around here someplace. If they can be located, I'll post them to compare them.

I would guess that the Japanese pressing of Fandango with catalog number CD-3731 came out before 1988. By '88, it would have been highly unusual to see a Japanese pressing in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom