Passage ~ Promo LP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I was at my local record dealer yesterday and picked up a Sealed Copy of Passage, I opened it and there are 2 stickers (actually stuck to the LP itself not the outer plastic wrap) on one sticker top left corner it says: Contains the Single Calling Occupants...On the other sticker small right corner says Promotional Record for Broadcast & Review Not for Sale.

Opening it I found that it didn't just have a paper sleave, it was the sleeve that you would find in a MFSL LP (rice paper sleeve) Inspecting the label, the colors are very vibrant (label looks like Lp cover) the center white is bright white. I also noticed that it says Promotional Copy Not for Sale printed on the label But..only on one side doesn't say it on the other.

I had an old copy of Passage on LP that is also marked Promo on the label however that one has it written on both sides, SO clearly the labels are different or at least Printed at a different time. I held the LP up to see if it was virgin pressing but can't see through it.

The Sealed Promo I just opened sounds terrific, very vibrant & clear. There is something special about opening something like this that makes me think that I just opened a LP that was originally "meant" for DJ's Only, just to think that this LP could have been used back in the 70's to actually play over the air-waves. That's pretty cool for me.

Just thought I'd share my discovery.

Nice discovery Chris. Usually you buy LPs knowing what they are. Go figure. I still can't get over my Gold record of Christmas Portrait. (One of my Christmas presents.)

That is a neat rarity ...:cool:

Several years ago while on a USA visit ....obtained an Argentinan PASSAGE album ...this excluded Don't Cry For Me Argentina ...as this song was still deemed politically sensitive with the return to power in 1974 of Juan Peron until his death(1976) ....even in 1977 A&M omitted Argentina track ....wonder whether this has been restored to any CD re-issues .... :wink:

Peter

Hey Peter!

It was never released here. I'm Argentinian and I found that the Carpenters did "Don't cry for me Argentina" when I found an use US tape of this album back in 1992. The only original album released in Argentina on CD was "A Song For you", however you could find import editions of the rest of the albums on CD. Curiously, I never found "Passage" on CD here. I got it when a friend went to visit London and brought to me a UK copy as a present in 1998.
As additional info, I could say that the original Argentinian LP featured the lyrics of all the songs except, of course, "Don't cry for me Argentina" in the place of that would have went this lyric, there are the pictures of the following album covers: Carpenters, A Song For You, Now & Then, The Singles 1969-1973, Horizon & A Kind Of Hush.

Wow that Passage album release in Argentina must have been pretty sparse, there were only 8 tracks on it to begin with, without removing 'Argentina' as well!

I'd be feeling a little bit short-changed myself if I bought an album that only had 7 songs on it! :laugh:

Stephen

Well length wise -PASSAGE was in line with other albums ....just several longer tracks than usual .....

Surprised A&M International having decided to remove Argentina from some South American issues -did not include another track ....perhaps the re-cut 1977 Can't Smile Without You ....or something similar for fans to enjoy ... :confused:

Peter

Wow...with the removal of "Argentina" from "Passage" the album would be even shorter than I felt it already was. Always thought there could have been (or wished there would have been) 10 songs on this album.

Chris, Chris, Chris,

You opened a sealed PASSAGE? We need to talk Mr. Man. I too have a sealed PASSSAGE and AKOH but somebody would have to nail me with a hatchet before I would enter that which is sooo rare. I know back in the 35th Ann Set days I told you guys that I had yet to listen to that actual set. Many responses indicated I was wasting the worth of the collection. Well, I still haven't listened. I've looked at/held the set once and it is now housed in a mile of bubble wrap buried deep within my K&R archives. Kinda funny really how each of us approach collecting. Since '70 I have squirreled away each piece of memorabilia. I know the inventory but still it remains entombed. This gives me a great deal of satisfaction knowing that pristine preservation is intact. Ya know, if'n I could let myself peek more often it could be fun and exciting to handle years of keepsakes. But the near OCD fear of contaminating that which is rare and nearly unattainable prohibits me. Those close to me have always been a little curious here. Some don't understand that a completist's collection is just that.

Enough out of me.

Happy New Year gang! May you and yours enjoy health and well-being.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom