🎷 AotW: CTI Paul Desmond - FROM THE HOT AFTERNOON (SP-3024)

All the CTI releases

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 4 50.0%

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
One of the most boring albums I've ever heard. This isn't what Paul Desmond was about at all. "Outubro" and "Circles" were okay, but the rest of these tracks put me to sleep. I'd much rather listen to the defintive versions of these songs that Edu Lobo and Milton Nascimento did on their own. I hated the strings, the arrangements and Wanda De Sah's vocals. Desmond was such a great talent that he should be heard in a small group setting, where he clearly excelled, whether it was with Dave Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, or his own excellent quartet that was recorded on the Horizon series. For me, Hot Afternoon is just bland fluff.

Capt. Bacardi

I disagree --- Paul Desmond made literally hundreds of small group recordings over the space of perhaps 25 years or so. To me, hearing him in an orchestral setting was a refreshing change of pace (the early 60's RCA dates notwithstanding) --- and his beautiful, lithe playing was perfectly suited to these tunes and settings. It may not have worked with another alto player, but it definitely works with Paul and these stunning tunes.

rickster said:
I disagree --- Paul Desmond made literally hundreds of small group recordings over the space of perhaps 25 years or so. To me, hearing him in an orchestral setting was a refreshing change of pace (the early 60's RCA dates notwithstanding) --- and his beautiful, lithe playing was perfectly suited to these tunes and settings. It may not have worked with another alto player, but it definitely works with Paul and these stunning tunes.
I fully agree, Rickster.

I rarely fail to match up with Cap'n B on these CTi LPs, but here I like the whole package. Only Desmond's eternally dry tone could make it work for alto -- which, incidentally, compliments the singing style of many of the bossa singers. Paul's always had a good bossa sense and those early/mid '60s RCA sides are moody gems. I mean, dang, as "pop" music this stuff is excellent. The stripped-down versions lend wonderful insight into the date. (Their presence fuels one to create an accompanying "alternate version" CD.)

Back in high school a friend of mine who, like most high school students, hated (with a capitol H) that old-fart 101-String sound (on what would otherwise be a decent LP...) I played this LP for him and he was instantly enticed: The guitar-driven rhythms, the unique song structure, and, of course, the engaging alto soloing.

Wonderful LP.

A spell-binding, seasonal blend... Desmond's merger of his own brand of Jazz, meets the music of Brazil... The contributions here by Milton Nascimento, Edu Lobo and Wanda De Sah work exquisitely well, and the whole concept sure seemed like a sure-thing--and it worked!!!!

The spiraling "Outubro (October)", the dry and wistful "Circles", as well as the way Desmond & crew cast and weave a spell on "Crystal Illusions" (and in fact, in my opinion, these guys "really nail it!", unlike the versions by Sergio Mendes & Lobo, himself; this version is so far my fav'...!)

Not at all any deviation from what Desmond usually does--in fact, a temporary and very welcome change-of-pace...! Paul very well parlays a mighty convincing Brasilian set, and the arrangements and compositions work well enough to say that they are easily justified...

A satisfying listen for leader and back-up band alike...

Dave

Back
Top Bottom