• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Peter Bruntnell of Almo Sounds-UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Scanning through the fine print in the Friday paper entertainment section, I spotted an announcement that Almo Sounds Artist Peter Bruntnell would appear at a local club opening for another act Monday night (9/8/03).

Bruntnell, who in the mid-90s recorded for Almo's short-lived U.K. operation, is on tour with the Pernice Brothers. While I'm not familiar with them, they remind me of REM and Squeeze with their refreshing 3-min. melodic pop sound. Some of their earlier work has a country-rock flavor.

The venue, a hole in the wall (literally) called The Pilot Light, is a no-frills place containing a small bar, stage at level with a concrete floor, a couple of old sofas, restrooms and space to sit on the floor. When you've got good music, creature comforts are unimportant. About 60 were in the audience.
While chatting briefly after his set, Bruntnell was very complimentary of both venue and audience, noting they were more quiet and attentive than most he's encountered.

Playing acoustic guitar and accompanied by an electric bassist, Bruntnell's set included:
Here Come the Swells (from his latest album ENDS OF THE EARTH)/ City Star
(Sell the Night to the Highest Bidder)/ By the Time My Head Gets to Phoenix ( inspired by the cryogenics movement)/ How You Want/ It Doesn't Matter What Flight He's Taking/ One Drink Away (dedicated to an alcoholic friend)/ Jurassic Parking Lot/ Rio Tinto.

His current label is Back Porch (division of Virgin Records), and while his Almo recordings are scarce, I was lucky enough to find a copy of CAMELOT IN SMITHEREENS (ALCD 14) prior to the show. Bruntnell still lives in rural England and says he enjoys playing at small clubs there as well as the U.S.

For more information visit
www.peterbruntnell.com
(where's there's a link to the Pernice Bros. site)

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom