• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Pianos and keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for sheer example's sake, I played the intro to Carps' Ticket To Ride on a Yamaha 7' concert grand. These are generally a brighter piano, although EQing, recording technique and such can certainly alter that somewhat. Emulating Richard's interpretation and touch, you can hear that to an average listener, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference (i.e. Baldwin vs. Steinway vs. Yamaha etc).

Wonderful playing, indeed you are correct.

Freddie

EQing, recording technique and such can certainly alter that somewhat.

Pianos are notoriously difficult to record without proper equipment and techniques. I remember when I was a young, piano-playing kid and my dad attempted to record me on his home tape recorder, the results always came out sounding just plain wrong, and a pale imitation of what a real piano sounds like. Good microphones, placements, and studio environments are just about required to get a good approximation of the real sound of a piano.

Harry

Here was Richard's quote from the official website. I also in recent years have watched him play live on the Steinway, as he also uses that most routinely at home (Steinway model 'D' 9-foot):

“Most recordings, except the ‘A Song For You’ album, were done with Steinway A (one of four), which was an A&M Studios piano; I think it was terrific. My only complaint was that it was 'well-worn' and creaked, like in ‘Merry Christmas Darling’, which starts with just Karen and piano. When the pedal was pushed the assembly which goes up into the piano (lyre) creaked. Steinway model 'B', 7 footer.”

He goes on to say the following:

“I now have a couple of Baldwins and a couple of Steinways (big house, you understand!) In concert I play a Baldwin concert grand, as I am a Baldwin Artist; they send one to each performance. In addition, I'd play a Wurlitzer electric piano. And starting around 1975 or ’76 we added a Rhodes electric piano, so that made three different keyboard sounds."

I'm also fairly certain that he played the Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor album from '97 on the "D" at Capitol, Studio A...

Great stuff, Chris...I love the fact that Richard has all those pianos around!

Reading through this discussion, it makes me wonder if the very interesting annotations that appear in the Recording Resource could eventually be consolidated into a single page organized in chronological order? That would make for a fascinating read. I recall that Harry listed elements involved in the 1990 remix of "Road Ode," but I don't see those listed as part of the annotations on the "song page." Since so much of this starts with Richard reworking/rerecording piano tracks, it seems that a "remix summary" would flow naturally from what's already extant in the Resource and from the ongoing research of some of our highly qualified folks....perhaps just a series of posts that outline some of this could be added here?

No KC without RC

If I might jump in with a slightly off-topic question...has anyone ever seen the needlepoint of this phrase that Karen gave to Richard? I've seen the one she gave to Agnes and Harold ('You Put Us On The Road') and Steven Levenkron ('You Win I Gain'), but never this one.

I still prefer the original mixes. I think much of the classic darker Carpenters contrasts are lost e.g. 'Yesterday Once More...'Let Me Be The One.....'Hurting Each Other'....etc.. from the 'From The Top' set. The brighter more enhanced piano just doesn't do it for me.

I need to work on my Carpenters collection on CD, but I am afraid to buy their first five albums as I fear they will be mixed like the 'From' box set.

Freddie

I still prefer the original mixes. I think much of the classic darker Carpenters contrasts are lost e.g. 'Yesterday Once More...'Let Me Be The One.....'Hurting Each Other'....etc.. from the 'From The Top' set. The brighter more enhanced piano just doesn't do it for me. I need to work on my Carpenters collection on CD, but I am afraid to buy their first five albums as I fear they will be mixed like the 'From' box set.Freddie

Then you haven't been paying attention. Any of their studio albums - from 1998 or later in the "Remastered Classics" series - will be the original LP mix.

Harry

I still prefer the original mixes. I think much of the classic darker Carpenters contrasts are lost e.g. 'Yesterday Once More...'Let Me Be The One.....'Hurting Each Other'....etc.. from the 'From The Top' set. The brighter more enhanced piano just doesn't do it for me.

I need to work on my Carpenters collection on CD, but I am afraid to buy their first five albums as I fear they will be mixed like the 'From' box set.

Freddie
Don't buy the MFSL remastered "A Song For You" CD (if it's still available), it's full of remixes....but sounds incredible.

Don't buy the MFSL remastered "A Song For You" CD (if it's still available), it's full of remixes....but sounds incredible.

I may be wrong but I think that one's long been out of print and is now as rare as the Singles 1969-1981 SACD. Luckily I have a copy of both in my collection. I looked up the SACD on ebay the other day and was surprised to see two copies going for upwards of $200.

Item 1 | Item 2

There's currently a sealed copy of the MSFL CD going for €349!

Jeff, I am right there with you.
So much technical and musical expertise on this forum.
I learn something new everyday, and I am glad for the experience.
The musical depth exhibited on this forum is a thing to behold!
I am appreciative to all!

(NB: The MSFL CD of "A Song For You" does not--in my opinion---do justice to the original. Very disappointing.)

Thanks for the remix information everyone. I haven't even worked my way through reading half of the threads here yet, let alone the ones on this subject. Richard must have the patience of a saint as mixing is my least favourite part of the 'making music' experience. It is always disconcerting to me how different a track sounds mixed in the studio compared to what it sounds like when played on a home stereo system.

Freddie

Thanks for the remix information everyone. I haven't even worked my way through reading half of the threads here yet, let alone the ones on this subject. Richard must have the patience of a saint as mixing is my least favourite part of the 'making music' experience. It is always disconcerting to me how different a track sounds mixed in the studio compared to what it sounds like when played on a home stereo system.

Freddie
Not sure where you are, but iTunes in the UK have all the original Carpenters albums for download, no remixes, and not too expensive.

Not sure where you are, but iTunes in the UK have all the original Carpenters albums for download, no remixes, and not too expensive.

And Spotify goes even one step more...you can stream to your laptop or your mobile device (even offline wherever you are, if you pay £9.99 a month) any Carpenters song from their catalogue (from original album track to the latest remix). And these clicks count towards chart placings. This blows my mind. In this age, we don't need hard copies any more.

Of some slight relevance to this thread (I hope):
Fan Club Newsletter #39, October 1974:
Q: What brand of instruments do you prefer?
Answer:
Ludwig Drums
Fender Bass
Kustom Amps
Hmmond Organ
Baldwin Grand Piano
Wurlitzer Electric Piano
and,
Shure Microphones.

Freddie

Couldn't agree more. Richard's remixes can be interesting to hear once or twice but I always prefer the originals. I don't need redone kick drums or new electronic keyboards. Some of his remixes are flat-out awful. As the tapes are now gone, he can no longer remix needlessly.

As has been said, you're somewhat safe with the "remastered classics" CD's but, even then, I hear slight added compression I can do without. I have my LP's and that's as original as you can get.

Ed

Someone around here has played a Baldwin...

BillCantosNYJoesPub5_08.JPG

Harry
The funny part is, Herb and Lani's rider requests a Steinway - but if the venue already has another instrument, you generally just go with it....I'm back and forth on Baldwins myself. Steinway, of course....Yamaha is a great studio piano because of the brightness and depending on the instrument can either work great or be a pain live...my wife owns a beautiful Mason & Hamlin which I lucked into by marrying her (I call it 'the dowry')....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom