• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Pittsburgh anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvy

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Given all the excitement around here, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned next weekend's concert series at the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild in Pittsburgh. The show is billed "Sergio Mendes and Brasil 2003." I'm seriously considering going, although I don't quite know what to expect. I'm mostly a fan of the 65/66 stuff, and I'm not sure how many original players the 2003 incarnation of the band includes. Also, I'm not real sure what to expect in terms of a setlist. Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Brian

Thanks for posting this, Brian!

I had no idea Sergio & Co. would be performing in my oldl hometown. Pittsburgh is just a 2-hour drive from my current home. I will place a call to the venue this morning to learn more about available tickets.

Sergio will be the only member there from the original Brasil '66 group. At times, Gracinha Leporace, Sergio's wife and a member of Brasil '77, sings with the troupe.

As far as a set list goes, Sergio always mixes up a great selection of material across the decades, so expect to hear gems from the bossa era to today!

Paula

With the release of Sergio's Brasil '66 catalogue this last year, he has begun to incorporate many of the old standards into his concert line-up. "Roda", "Pretty World" and "Triste" come to mind. Of course, "Viramundo" is there, mixed with an amazing version of "Zanzibar" and "Lapinha". It's nice to see Sergio doing these old songs again after all these years.

If you're weary about attending a Sergio Mendes concert, let me put your mind at ease: if it's entertainment you want, it's entertainment you will get! Rarely have I ever been to a Mendes concert that didn't have 'em up out of their seats (dancing on tables in some cases...remember Bimbo's Brandon?) :wink:

Go ahead and see the show. Me thinks you'll come back with a glowing review; something we'll all be looking quite forward to!

Jon

bvy said:
Hi. I'm new to the forum. Given all the excitement around here, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned next weekend's concert series at the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild in Pittsburgh. The show is billed "Sergio Mendes and Brasil 2003." I'm seriously considering going, although I don't quite know what to expect. I'm mostly a fan of the 65/66 stuff, and I'm not sure how many original players the 2003 incarnation of the band includes. Also, I'm not real sure what to expect in terms of a setlist. Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Brian

Wow...about 5-6 hours would get me to Pittsburgh. Sergio at one time had a Detroit date scheduled but, IIRC, tickets for a double bill with him and Gato Barbieri were $400. Way too steep. Sergio dropped from the bill, since I would guess nobody in Detroit is going to pay $400, let alone being able to afford it. It was probably our greedy local promoter that tried to slip this price into the marketplace. Nothing against Sergio, but NO band out there commands a $400 ticket price.

Okay, I'm sold. I bought two for this Thursday night at MCG in Pittsburgh -- their first of five shows. WDUQ is doing an inteview prior to this show, and I may attend that also. Maybe there'll be some Q&A with the audience. The venue seats about 300 so it's a pretty intimate setting. I'll post a review this weekend...

Really...if you get a chance to step backstage and chat with Sergio, Gracinha and the band, by all means do so. They are some of the nicest people in the world. They have a genuine interest in the fans, for which they have a great deal of appreciation. Great people all! :wink:

Jon

Just called the venue in Pittsburg and it's all SOLD OUT!!! Looks like I'll have to get to the Blue Note in NYC. I really dread that NY traffic, seeing as you can get lost just going around the block.

Good for you!!! :wink:

Did you get a chance to stop back and say Hi to Sergio and Gracinha? If so, I bet they loved that! Sergio loves to talk about Lani, Karen and the old days. Also, I'm sure (judging from the playlist on the Japanese Blue Note site) they did so many of the old tunes...ahhh!!! I'm so happy for you. Now, I have to wait until next week and the Blue Note...can't hardly wait!!! :tongue:

Also can't wait for your review!! It's been a lot of years since you've seen Sergio and Company perform. Anxious to hear what you have to say. Hope you had a great time!!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom