• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Promotion Solo Stand-Up is this real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I find this really hard to believe that this was in the record stores. Is this for real or a fake?

I know there are such things as stand-up's I use to own one by Olivia back in 1978 when totally hot was released & yes a friend of mine who owned a record store saved it for me. But Olivia's was official standup from her album cover.

But this looks like Karen with that comic shirt on from those solo photos floating around on the net for so long. I think someone handmade this, but that is just my personal opinion. What is yours?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35&item=3678028507&rd=1

I think someone made this too but I could be wrong. Karen doesn't look happy or healthy so why would they use this pic? duh

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I know there are such things as stand-up's I use to own one by Olivia back in 1978 when totally hot was released & yes a friend of mine who owned a record store saved it for me. But Olivia's was official standup from her album cover.

If you don't mind my asking Chris, what happened to your Olivia stand-up? She looked so cute in that photo that I couldn't imagine that you parted with it willingly!

Speaking of "Totally Hot", I finally found Olivia's "Millenium Collection" DVD yesterday, and it's fantastic to finally have a copy of the three videos from the Totally Hot album. Hopefully there will eventually be a complete Greatest Hits DVD with all her videos!

As far as the Karen stand-up is concerned, that's the first time that I've ever heard of this item. I suppose it's possible that it is an official promo item. Perhaps it's a question to ask Richard via his new website?

Murray
...Hopelessly devoted to Olivia, and Karen...

That stand-up is the same photo that appeared in the 1996 article in Entertainment Weekly magazine. I doubt the stand-up was put out by the record company. They surely would have used one of the photographs from her glamour solo sessions instead of that picture.

The article in Entertainment Weekly was a very unflattering review of her solo album.

Is it possible that a record store made this?

Back in '70s record store made poster panels for me. One was Karen & Richard, another is Olivia's. I can see the photo of Karen & Richard on the web, but I cannot find Olivia's photo anywhere. I'm sorry that I have not kept them.

Sakura

Murray, My stand-up was the same photo on the back side of the Totally Hot album, there was a holder in the front that actually held the album and slots around her neck that actually held a real red scarf just like the one she wore around her neck on the album cover. I had it for about 5 or 6 years and was starting to get really fragile with it's corners & her boots cut out at the bottom. I regret now but I think I sold it at a garage sale. SHH don't tell anyone, (hit's himself on forehead) Sometimes you do things at times in your life that you don't realize what your doing till later in life & you regret it, oh well. It was really big almost 6 feet tall. Life goes on.

Yes I have the DVD also & those vids are great, first time being released on DVD, love them.

This ebay standup of Karen just can't be official, I really think it has to be homemade. You think this person could have used a prettier picture of Karen to do this with, there are so many nicer photos of Karen than that one. The price of that is upsetting, I hope the buyer realizes this can't be an official release & I highly doubt this was in the record stores, but that is my personal opinion.

In the original release of the Grease soundtrack they included a nice booklet in the sleeve. I kept this thing in pristine condition for years. One day I decided to give it to a friend for his birthday...UGH!

Jeff

I've wondered if any record stores I've shopped at actually save and tried to sell their stand-up figures regularily.

There must have been a lot of them made over the years. It is easy to make them yourself, but the majority of them really are record company made.

Dave

...wondering why I've never gotten into this kind of "collectible", myself... :badteeth:

These stand-ups were most often manufactured by Artist Relations for the particular label involved. I still have my "Libby" from the MADE IN AMERICA album by Supertramp, although she's in storage -- a gift from my brother-in-law who, at one time owned a used record store called "The Galactic Zoo."

Jon

For those of you have Olivia's Millenium collection DVD. Can anyone figure out the chronologic pattern of the videos. Part of it looks like a photo shoot from 1979 and the scenes where she in a recording studio seem have been filmed much later. What am I missing? I have looked over the DVD and can't find anything that would clarify the dates.
JIM

I don't have the DVD, but I read "A Little More Love", "Deeper Than The Night" and "Totally Hot" were music videos in 1978-79 and "Heart Attack" was music video in 1982 on Olivia fan site. I heard that "Totally Hot" was taped at(on?) the building where "HOLLYWOOD NIGHTS" was taped.

I also read that Olivia will appear on "Top Of The Pops2" on May the 26th. If it is real, music video or not?

Sakura

As far as acquiring stand-ups.. in 1972 while riding thru Seattle with my Aunt and Uncle, we passed a record store that prominently featured an A Song For You. This was a must have. 9 years old and persitent as I was, we entered and got the prize. Years later, with the release of If I Were A Carpenter, Tower had a 5ft by 4ft promo on the wall. As you guessed I was there chiming away. After they were done with it, it flew into my waiting arms. It is mounted on a 1/4 inch thick foam/cardboard thing and looks really cool. An artist painstakingly painted this piece and recreated the album cover.

Jeff

It's amazing how sought after these rare items are nowadays. Things that were once gotton for free or little money from record stores are now hot items. As far as stand-ups I know that I saw a recent one on ebay of Olivia (not the one I had) that went for close to $300.00.

I think that my most prized possesion of the Carpenters would have to be my original Voice of the Heart poster. Every time I go to turn on my PC she is there to greet me. Might sound corney to you but there is something special about that photo. Some people might think that I'm too old to be hanging a poster of some music artist on my wall. I guess I disagree. I have an entire music room gallery filled with my memories. This VOTH is such a professional looking poster & so graceful & with it being framed professionally, I consider it artwork that is equal to or greater than Picasso artwork. My most recent is a smaller poster from the Simon/Garfunkel Old Friends Tour (I added a special touch by making a collage of 3 x 2 inch photos I printed out & added it to the side of the poster before framing it, they all run together top to bottom, really turned out quite nice)

Since were on this sorta topic, In the past 6 months or so I was able to aquire a poster here locally from a dealer. He told me that it was obtained from a local record store a very long time ago most likely in the late 70's. I remember this one record store downtown (back in the late 70's & 80's) where they would hang outside these huge huge album cover posters (of course secured way up high above the store) they would be enclosed in some kind of protective glass/plastic cover. Well I was able to obtain one of these album posters size is 42 X 42. It is the front album cover of Olivia's album called "Making a Good Thing Better" I have it still rolled and can't decide how I should display it. It is so big that having it framed would be too expensive for me, I have space for it in my music room but don't know how to hang it on the wall. Don't want no holes in this & no tape, don't want to mess it up so I'm afraid to unroll it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

For some reason as I get older, I want things from the past that made me happy.

Might sound corney to you but there is something special about that photo. Some people might think that I'm too old to be hanging a poster of some music artist on my wall. I guess I disagree.

Well, I don't think that I'm too old to have music posters on my walls either. My only original Carpenters poster is of the picture that is on the inner sleeve of the Made In America album. I put it into an ornate, antique frame that belonged to my great-grandparents. That's how much that poster means to me. When I'm 90 and in a nursing home, I plan to have that poster on the wall of my room. Of course, by then I may not remember who those people in the photo are anymore! :wink:

Well I was able to obtain one of these album posters size is 42 X 42. It is the front album cover of Olivia's album called "Making a Good Thing Better" I have it still rolled and can't decide how I should display it... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

How about hanging it on the ceiling above your bed! :winkgrin: But, if you're married, your wife may disapprove... seriously, I would try to get it framed if at all possible. If you're good at woodworking, you may be able to make the frame yourself, and then get a window store to cut the glass for you. A poster that size would make an awesome display. It would be a shame to keep it rolled up and out of sight.

Murray
...who would gladly hang a Corrs poster on his wall, if he could only find one...

You're never too old to display something that means something to you. In my case, a large collection of Mendes and Disney memorabilia. I have a room in my home that I call "The Disney Room," as it's filled to capacity with memoribilia having to do with the Parks themselves. The hallway leading to the "Disney Room" is lined with tastefully framed Mendes ephemera -- a big hit with guests -- they think it's 'hip' to have such 'mod' photos on the wall.

I don't know about being 'hip' or 'mod', but I sure get a kick out of 'em. And, it makes me feel good having them around.

Jon

The Voice Of The Heart album cover holds a lot of meaning for me also and I have often wishe I had a full sized framed poster for my house. I have searched the intrnet for it but it seems futile. If anyone knows where to look I would greatly appreciate the info. There are a lot of print shops that do a great job of enlarging photos, so I think I will take the CD cover and see how it turns up. If it turns out looking great, I will head for the fame shop.
JIM

Jon, I like what you said about never being too old to display things that mean a lot to you. When we moved here about 10 years ago, (boy, how time flies!) the people who owned this house had nothing around at all, not even family photos. The house looked absolutely bereft! Surrounding yourself with the things you love is what makes a house uniquely yours and is a reflection of your personality. So whatever it is that you collect, Chris, don't be shy about showing it off! How nice to have Olivia and Karen decorating your walls!

Marilyn,
who collects more than she knows what to do with! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom