• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

pronunciation of 'Dore' Alpert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

Found this on anecdote.com-

Jazz musician Herb Alpert was once asked why he had named his son 'Dore'. The name, Alpert explained, contains the first two notes of the musical scale - do and re.

Does that mean the name Herb used for his old singles is pronounced "Doe-Ray" and not "Door"? And I suppose it also means it is his son that does background vocals on 'When the Lights Go Down Low'?

I always assumed that even though the name "Dore" came from combining "Do" and "Re", it was pronounced dóor - ee. That's the way that producer/filmmaker Dore Schary pronounced it, anyway.

And yes, that would be Herb's son Dore on the MY ABSTRACT HEART album.

Harry
...watching the rain fall, online...

Another possible pronounciation is "doorie". A couple of Jan and Dean websites use that pronunciation for the label that Herb & Lou Adler worked on as A&R during the late '50s. My Random House dictionary pronounces the Dore French mountain chain as "door". A 19th century French artist was named Dore,with an accent grave over the "e",which makes it sound "dooray". So go figure...Mac

Another unusal musical connection to the word "dore". The Irish group Clannad takes their name from a bastardization of the phrase "Clan from Dore,Dobhar in Gaelic,a village in County Donegal. Enya originally came from this family based group. Mac

There was a record label by the name of "Dore" in the late 50s, early '60s. No connection to Herb that I'm aware of.
JB

I guess we should mention that Rondor Music was named after both of the sons of Jerry Moss (Ron) and Herb Alpert (Dore). Both Almo Music and Irving Music were under the Rondor umbrella, and Herb and Jerry made a tidy litle sum when they sold Rondor a couple of years ago.

Capt. Bacardi

On the second special, on the segment "Talk to the Animals" was the kid that was featured with Herb, his son Dore? Anyone know/

On the subject of useless information, New Orleans clarinetist Irving Prestopnk used the musical scale, "Fa-So-La", to arrive at his showbiz name, Irving Fazola. He was a great influence on Pete Fountain. He didn't make as much "Do" as Herb.

I have the same confusion when it comes to Nick Ceroli's name, even though it looks easy enough. Is it, "CE-RO-LEE" or "CHA-RO-LEE"? :?:

Since I have two friends named "Dore" (one female, one male) I know they pronounce it "DOR-ee" (rhymes with "Story")

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Since I have two friends named "Dore" (one female, one male) I know they pronounce it "DOR-ee" (rhymes with "Story")

--Mr Bill

Mr. Bill...you're right on the mark. In a local television interview taped during the Bullish tour, Herb mentions that prior to A&M Records he recorded as musician "Dore Alpert...as in do-re-me." (pronounced "Dor-ee" -- rhymes with "Story"). He also mentioned that this was, indeed, his son's name.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Captain Bacardi said:
I guess we should mention that Rondor Music was named after both of the sons of Jerry Moss (Ron) and Herb Alpert (Dore). Both Almo Music and Irving Music were under the Rondor umbrella, and Herb and Jerry made a tidy litle sum when they sold Rondor a couple of years ago.

And Irving Music, Inc., itself had been named after Jerry Moss's father (and we all know after whom Almo Music Corp. was named) -- but that's for another thread.

I know Irving was BMI and Almo was ASCAP, but what performing-rights society, if any, did Rondor belong to? SESAC, perhaps? I'd be curious . . .

W.B. said:
Captain Bacardi said:

And Irving Music, Inc., itself had been named after Jerry Moss's father (and we all know after whom Almo Music Corp. was named) -- but that's for another thread.

I know Irving was BMI and Almo was ASCAP, but what performing-rights society, if any, did Rondor belong to? SESAC, perhaps? I'd be curious . . .

I doubt it...as I recall, SESAC is much smaller than either ASCAP or BMI; and handles mostly religious music. It COULD be, but I don't think so. It's just a guess, however...anybody up on SESAC ?

Dan

SESAC stands for the Society of European Stage Authors and Composers and was originally concerned with European and gospel music. The US Headquarters are in Nashville and today is involved with all genres of music. Since Rondor was originally made up of Irving Music(BMI) and Almo(ASCAP),Rondor is in effect affiliated with both and may have absorbed companies affiliated with SESAC. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom