Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

It's been on so many times here in Central Florida that my wife keeps saying, "Again!?"

I haven't actually watched the full show again, but it seems to be there a lot when we pass by our many PBS stations. And it's compounded by Carpenters' appearance on the Bacharach show, also running on PBS down here!

Harry

It's been on so many times here in Central Florida that my wife keeps saying, "Again!?"

I haven't actually watched the full show again, but it seems to be there a lot when we pass by our many PBS stations. And it's compounded by Carpenters' appearance on the Bacharach show, also running on PBS down here!

Harry
It's like the hook from stage left: someone's gonna get hooked, and they will find their way here. Just wait. :wink:!

Harry

Hahaha! Can't tell you how many text messages I've gotten from folks who caught it on TV. Oddly enough I sat my wife Jozelle (who hadn't yet seen it ) down the other day and made her watch the whole documentary with me LOL

I was fussing with an indoor antenna over the weekend, trying to tune in a DECADES channel binge of THE FUGITIVE, one of my favorite old TV series. My wife walked in the room and asked, "What? Are you trying to tune in that Carpenters thing again?" I just laughed.

Harry

I was fussing with an indoor antenna over the weekend, trying to tune in a DECADES channel binge of THE FUGITIVE, one of my favorite old TV series. My wife walked in the room and asked, "What? Are you trying to tune in that Carpenters thing again?" I just laughed.

Harry

HAHAHA!!

First, I wanted to thank everyone that supported their local PBS station for making the creation of our Carpenters CD-set possible. While I can't get into specifics for confidential contractual restrictions -- I can share that the show was very well received, and for that I want to personally thank Harry & the gang here, and of course Richard Carpenter and our friends at Universal/A&M.

Also, I wanted to share I just joined a very Carpenters friendly radio station (the morning man and program director is as passionate as us all here), So I invite you to call-in this Friday night at 8pm for my new all request radio show from 8pm to 12am on woldradio.com or on-air on WOLD in Woodbridge, NJ over the air. The show streams live worldwide, and I have to the freedom to play Carpeners and other A&M requests - plus Motown, Soul, Rock, Pop, Doo Wop from the 50s to the 80s - all by request. Personally I can't wait to hear how the single mixes sound on the radio ...every sha-la-la-la and every whoa--oo--oooo still shines indeed on WOLD and woldradioonline.com. Here's a link in today's paper about it: 'My Music' man TJ Lubinsky returns to Jersey radio »

Best and warmest - tjl
Executive Producer, My Music on public television

First, I wanted to thank everyone that supported their local PBS station for making the creation of our Carpenters CD-set possible. While I can't get into specifics for confidential contractual restrictions -- I can share that the show was very well received, and for that I want to personally thank Harry & the gang here, and of course Richard Carpenter and our friends at Universal/A&M.

Also, I wanted to share I just joined a very Carpenters friendly radio station (the morning man and program director is as passionate as us all here), So I invite you to call-in this Friday night at 8pm for my new all request radio show from 8pm to 12am on woldradio.com or on-air on WOLD in Woodbridge, NJ over the air. The show streams live worldwide, and I have to the freedom to play Carpeners and other A&M requests - plus Motown, Soul, Rock, Pop, Doo Wop from the 50s to the 80s - all by request. Personally I can't wait to hear how the single mixes sound on the radio ...every sha-la-la-la and every whoa--oo--oooo still shines indeed on WOLD and woldradioonline.com. Here's a link in today's paper about it: 'My Music' man TJ Lubinsky returns to Jersey radio »

Best and warmest - tjl
Executive Producer, My Music on public television

Wow! Thanks TJ for making this happen. I suspect that the "confidential contract restrictions" prevent you from disclosing how many units of "The Complete Singles" were moved, but I think many of us would be curious about this statistic. If it's not part of the confidentiality, would you share that information with us?

I will definitely log in to listen to your show on worldradioonline.com!

Thanks again for making the singles CD happen!

any idea if and when the set will be widely available?

Mr. Lubinsky has made it clear time and again in this thread that this Carpenters COMPLETE SINGLES set will only be available through support of Public Television stations.

Harry

Very sorry indeed. I don't check here so often and neglected to read the previous responses. And so it goes...don't suppose there's a little welcome back tucked in there somewhere ?

Hey, we're always happy to see you here, Jeff. We just don't want any mis-information out there.

Harry

As a follow-up to the PBS singles release and TV presentation:
  1. I am exceedingly thrilled by the 3-CD singles/B-sides collection. As a "purist" and fan of original singles, in and of themselves, this is an outstanding chronological collection, despite the hefty "donation" amount.
  2. The TV presentation itself was well produced and enjoyable. I believe this show created much buzz, not only for PBS but also for Carpenters. And I'm sure my experience is mirrored by others here: some relatives and friends contacted me about seeing the show and/or finding out about its airing.
And the calendar shows "2016." Nice!

Not unless we're told by someone in authority. Yeah, we'd all like to hear at least some kind of raw numbers, perhaps even a ranking with other comparable sets that have only been offered through Public Television.

Not unless we're told by someone in authority. Yeah, we'd all like to hear at least some kind of raw numbers, perhaps even a ranking with other comparable sets that have only been offered through Public Television.

Upon reading this, I touched base this afternoon with Jim Pierson, coordinating producer for the documentary. Whereas he didn't have a hard number, he did have this to say:

"It has done very well with multiple reorders thus far. 'Close To You: Remembering the Carpenters' was the #1 PBS pledge show nationally for the December winter drive, and remained in the top 5 for the March spring drive! Returning in June for yet another [summer] drive."

Not bad! I have a second interview pending with Jim in detail about the making of the special, which should be posted here [hopefully] by next week.

Last edited:
Hi all - - hoping to play some Carpenters by request tonight from the new cd set, but you have to pick'em....go to www.woldradio.com and call toll free at 1-844-719-1079........share your favorite Carpenters memory on the radio and listen live online, just click listen live at woldradio.com or google app for Oldies 1079 WOLD.

Tried calling...but couldn't get anyone answering. It's OK - you're playing "Goodbye To Love" right now.

And then "Sometimes".

Hi all - - hoping to play some Carpenters by request tonight from the new cd set, but you have to pick'em....go to www.woldradio.com and call toll free at 1-844-719-1079........share your favorite Carpenters memory on the radio and listen live online, just click listen live at woldradio.com or google app for Oldies 1079 WOLD.
Just clicked on the the www.woldradio.com website. Glad to know about it and happy to say that it is now a part of my favorites tool bar. I'll be tuning in frequently.

Hello TJL:

I listened to your show tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it! Your attention to Carpenters was extremely satisfying. Like ScottyB, I will also be tuning in frequently.

And kudos to you, Jim Pierson, and all involved in the production of the PBS special as well as this terrific 3-CD set of Carpenters' singles/B-sides!

Back
Top Bottom