• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

Well you're not "paying for the set." You're making a donation and (according to the paperwork) receiving the CD set as a gift in exchange for your donation. This way, your donation is tax deductible.

OK, then what station was the donation made, CraigGA?

They assigned that as the value of the set. You still make your usual donation amount. The donation of choice is what you gave them. Your gift of choice in return has a value. At least, that is my understanding.

They assigned that as the value of the set. You still make your usual donation amount. The donation of choice is what you gave them. Your gift of choice in return has a value. At least, that is my understanding.

So only the difference between the donation amount and the fair market value is really deductible I think?

So only the difference between the donation amount and the fair market value is really deductible I think?

Correct. This is what is called a "Quid Pro Quo Contribution" by the IRS. Anytime you make a charitable contribution and receive a good or service in return, the fair market value of that good or service has to be subtracted from the contribution to determine the tax deductible amount. That is why the charity or non-profit will always send you a statement telling you either the fair market value of the item(s) you received, the tax deductible amount or a statement that "no goods or services were received." (They are required to by law, anyway.)

Another example would be "joining" a museum or something similar. Your annual membership is $100 and you get a t-shirt and some other miscellaneous swag. Your letter says your tax deductible portion is $60. This is because they have backed out the fair market value for the "free" stuff they give you.

My problem is that I got two different quotes from KQED as to what the fair market value is - and only for the CDs, not the DVD. In one letter, I'm told that the fair market value of the CDs is $67.80, but on the shipping notice it says that the fair market value is $59.98. And as I said, I never got any information on the DVD's fair market value.

Anyone get similar amounts?

Harry

The Complete Singles is a gift(given in return for a donation),not a sale-and would not qualify for RIAA certification.

These CDs were manufactured for and sold to PBS for this pledge campaign. Universal and TJL didn't just give them to PBS for free. Those sales would certainly count toward RIAA certification.

If PBS isn't charging sales tax,then it's not an actual sale.

Not true. Many online retailers do not charge sales tax. In fact, Amazon only started charging sales tax earlier this year. If you purchase something online and you live in a state that has sales tax, you are responsible for reporting and paying the sales tax (or "use tax") if it was not collected by the retailer at the time of purchase. (But since this is a "quid pro quo contribution" as discussed above and not a retail purchase, that would not apply in this case.)

I would venture to say that this set might tally between 10,000-25,000 copies,if the response to the PBS special was really good.

I think that's a fair estimate. There are around 350 PBS member stations, but I don't know how many of them are participating in this campaign. To be conservative, let's say 100 stations total are running the special. If each station sold 100 - 200 copies of the CD, that would be right in line with that. That doesn't seem like that many per station, but my assumption is that the majority of donors give at the lower levels so they wouldn't get the CDs. It would be interesting to know what PBS's expectations are and what the initial print run was for this set.

Last edited:
My problem is that I got two different quotes from KQED as to what the fair market value is - and only for the CDs, not the DVD. In one letter, I'm told that the fair market value of the CDs is $67.80, but on the shipping notice it says that the fair market value is $59.98. And as I said, I never got any information on the DVD's fair market value.

Harry

Same thing here, Harry. One document said DVD = $19.95 and CD = $67.80. The other said DVD = $24.98 and CD = $59.98 (which sound like retail list prices). So, that's either $87.75 or $84.96 total. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to use the higher amount, but I'm keeping both documents with my tax records.

Harry

I called WQED and they sent me a letter and listed the fair market value at $54.98 for the 4 CD's. I would suggest you call them and ask for a letter that shows the total fair market value for both the CD's and the DVD. I had to be transferred to a manager but he was very helpful and I received a letter in the mail a few days after we spoke.

I'm not sure how all the broadcasts did this but on my broadcast last night they showed Richard twice and both times only briefly on video (it looked pre-recorded from a PBS studio) and both times he spoke only lasted about 1 min so maybe 2 or 3 mins tops and he was not shown the entire time while he talked it was overlayed with photos so he appeared on video maybe 1 min total in both segments. The 2 times he spoke it was basically to help callers make pledges and support PBS, he did not mention the gifts. I found it kinda odd that he would not have mentioned the Singles Set and how it was put together just for this event or something about the Singles set but on my broadcast he did not mention any of the Carpenters gifts being offered. This made me wonder if this was a current appearance by Richard or was this recorded years earlier on prior appearance. I really am not sure. I was hoping for maybe a live call in or some kind of tie in from him to these newly released gifts (the Singles Collection and newly expanded DVD)

I'm just watching my PVR'd version tonight and I noticed that both times the Richard appeared in the studio, his footage was in 4:3, while everything else during the breaks, except footage from the documentary, was in 16:9. Plus Richard looked like he had more weight on him, and more color to his hair, than he did in the interview on the 2013 Perry Como DVD. So I wonder if Richard's clips were from the original airing back in 1997/98 and just reused here, thus the reason he doesn't mention the items.

I'm just watching my PVR'd version tonight and I noticed that both times the Richard appeared in the studio, his footage was in 4:3, while everything else during the breaks, except footage from the documentary, was in 16:9. Plus Richard looked like he had more weight on him, and more color to his hair, than he did in the interview on the 2013 Perry Como DVD. So I wonder if Richard's clips were from the original airing back in 1997/98 and just reused here, thus the reason he doesn't mention the items.

I'm pretty sure that TJL (the producer of the set and a poster here) said that they did film a few new promo spots with Richard for this campaign. That doesn't mean every station has to use them though. Stations could be using old ones produced for the original airing. As you mentioned, the Perry Como DVD was probably the most recent interview we have seen of Richard, so that is a good comparison. I haven't seen anything yet on my local PBS station.

I just looked at TJL's answer from Oct 23, and doesn't mention anything about filming new material, he just mentions that they've got a few messages from Richard in the national airing.

Can't wait..... my wife got this for me. Said it would take 3-6 weeks to ship. Getting the DVD also....I only have it on VHS. :)

I just looked at TJL's answer from Oct 23, and doesn't mention anything about filming new material, he just mentions that they've got a few messages from Richard in the national airing.

Good catch! So, yes, he was probably referring to having previously filmed material from the original broadcast.

Hello,

My first post here (please be gentle).

Apologies if this has been explicitly covered in this massive thread, but ...

Do *all* of the single versions on this set have unique mixes, unique run lengths (or are otherwise completely unavailable songs), or are some of them identical to the corresponding tracks on the studio LPs?

In other words, if I have all of the original LP versions (for example, from the Remastered Classics CD releases -- which I understand use the original mixes), which tracks on The Complete Singles are, in any way, completely "new"?

It would surprise me (I guess), if at least some of their singles releases weren't identical to the corresponding LP versions.

Thank you!
Ivan

Do *all* of the single versions on this set have unique mixes, unique run lengths (or are otherwise completely unavailable songs), or are some of them identical to the corresponding tracks on the studio LPs?

A good question - and one I hope we can give a cogent answer to. Short answer is that yes, most of the singles were culled from albums and as such are pretty much identical to the original album tracks. If you check out the listing of the tracks on our Carpenters Complete Recordings Resource for The Complete Singles you'll see an indication next to some of the tracks as to just what mix appears on these discs. Any song that has a unique single mix will be listed as such. If it's just an edit, that also will be listed. Certain tracks used for singles had clean opens or closes whereas their corresponding album tracks were segued or joined with other tracks. Tracks which are the same as the album tracks have no indication next to them.

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction - and welcome to the A&M Corner Forums.

Harry

A good question - and one I hope we can give a cogent answer to. Short answer is that yes, most of the singles were culled from albums and as such are pretty much identical to the original album tracks. If you check out the listing of the tracks on our Carpenters Complete Recordings Resource for The Complete Singles you'll see an indication next to some of the tracks as to just what mix appears on these discs. Any song that has a unique single mix will be listed as such. If it's just an edit, that also will be listed. Certain tracks used for singles had clean opens or closes whereas their corresponding album tracks were segued or joined with other tracks. Tracks which are the same as the album tracks have no indication next to them.

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction - and welcome to the A&M Corner Forums.

Harry

Thank you, Harry! I think the annotations in the track listing you referenced are exactly what I was looking for!

I really forgot how wonderful the documentary is. I love the special feature additions as well. If only they included the whole Whitehouse concert. Dreams. Still, folks, I am AMAZED we got these new releases.

I can't wait to get it. My wife ordered shortly before Christmas, but she just received an email the other day stating that it has been delayed..... hmmmm

I can't wait to get it. My wife ordered shortly before Christmas, but she just received an email the other day stating that it has been delayed..... hmmmm
For what its worth, I ordered mine on Dec 15 and talked to PBS today. They said it should arrive anytime. Have not received a delay email.

Hello,

My first post here (please be gentle).

Apologies if this has been explicitly covered in this massive thread, but ...

In other words, if I have all of the original LP versions (for example, from the Remastered Classics CD releases -- which I understand use the original mixes), which tracks on The Complete Singles are, in any way, completely "new"?

It would surprise me (I guess), if at least some of their singles releases weren't identical to the corresponding LP versions.

Thank you!
Ivan
Welcome Ivan! Hope you enjoy all the great things you read in this forum!

OK! Finally gonna post something about this collection. I recall posting that I purposely got a credit card for the sole purpose of purchasing this set. I am quite pleased with my decision to do so. I received the set (yes, the complete set) about 2 weeks before Christmas. Even tho I already had Christmas Portrait, as many have, I thought maybe there would be something "extra" about it. NOT! So like so many others, I have set it aside for the future, either as a gift or for myself if my own copy somehow gets damaged. As for the video, not too many surprises. Most I have seen before, or already own on other formats. Still, nice to have "hard copy" of the rarities. The 3-CD set: Nice! But that's as far as I'll go. I find the quality of many of the songs not as good as Richard's future mixes. I understand that these are the original mixes, and it's nice to have them. The single version of "Calling Occupants" sounds like a vinyl transfer (maybe that's me), but I can't help but hear some fuzz & popping in it. Having the clean open to "Maybe It's You" and the clean closure to "I Kept On Loving You" is nice to have. Overall, I am most impressed with the packaging. The CD labels and the 45's sleeves turned me on most of all.

Finally received my CD/DVD collection today. Can't wait to listen. I don't know if this was covered in the thread already, but wanted to make sure...was there no insert booklet in the DVD like the one in the previous MPI DVD? Just wanted to make sure it wasn't left out. I would have thought an updated copy would have been included. Not a big deal...thanks Richard and TJL for this package!

Mine arrived yesterday. Thanks to all of you whose words encouraged me to pony up for it. Listened to two of the CDs last night and enjoyed every minute. Had completely forgotten how some of those original mixes even sounded!

Back
Top Bottom