• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW Punch: 'Punch' (A&M SP 4307)

LPJim

Staff member
PUNCH
Punch

A&M SP 4307

Punch1.jpg

SIDE ONE
Why Don't You Write Me - Paul Simon - Charing Cross Music Inc. BMI 2:56
Arranged by Bob Alcivar, Bill Holman & Bones Howe

Mayflower - Charles D. Merriam - Hello There Music ASCAP 3:27
Vocal solos by Steve & Dee; arranged by Charles Merriam, Gary Illingworth & Bones Howe

I Know It's Your Life - Merriam - Hello There Music ASCAP 3:54
Vocal solo: Steve/ Piano solo: Gary Illingworth/ arranged by Merriam-Howe

Piece of Mind - Merriam- Hello There Music ASCAP 2:42
vocal solos by Steve & Dee/ arr. by Merriam-Illingworth-Howe

Blackbird - Lennon & McCartney- Maclen Music Inc. BMI 2:12
Keyboards by Illingworth/ vocal arr. by Merriam

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Harrison - Harrisongs Music Inc. BMI 4:49
vocal solo by Steve; guitar solo by Mike Deasy/ arr. by Merriam/Howe.

SIDE TWO

Travelin' Boy - Paul Williams & Roger Nichols - Almo Music Corp. ASCAP 3:24
vocal solo by Steve/ arr. by Alcivar-Bill Holman- Howe

Abraham, Martin & John/ I Shall Be Released 4:43
Dick Holler -Roznique Music Inc. BMI/ Bob Dylan- Dwarf Music ASCAP
vocal solos: Charlie and Steve
Piano accompaniment by Larry Knechtal
Acoustic guitar accompaniment: Mike Deasy/ arr. by Merriam-Howe

Fallin' Lady -Merriam - Hello There Music ASCAP 3:40
vocal solo: Steve/ arr. by Merriam-Howe

Love Song - Leslie Duncan - Blue Seas Music Inc/ Jac Music Co. ASCAP 3:29
vocal solo: Steve/ arr. by Alcivar-Holman-Howe

Open Highway - Merriam- Hello There Music ASCAP 3:48
vocal solos by Kathy & Dee/ arr. by Merriam-Illingworth-Howe

PRODUCTION AND SOUND BY BONES HOWE

The music tracks on this album feature the creative talents of these great musicians: Hal Blaine - drums (the Monsters!!); Joe Osborn - bass; Larry Knechtel and Gary Illingworth - piano, organ, harpsichord; Zavier - 12 string guitar, Mike Deasy, Dennis Budimir, Fred Tackett, Mike Anthony -- electric and acoustic guitars: Jimmy Rowles - RMI organ; Bob Alcivar - piano on "Travelin' Boy"; Bones Howe - tambourine, Handclaps; special thanks to our concert master, Sid Sharp.

Studio production assistant: Johnny Golden/ Production co-ordination: Shelley Gordon W. Morgan; Gay French; Pam Vale
Engineered by Bones Howe in the 16-track facility of Wally Heider Recording, Hollywood, Calif. , with the helpful cooperation of Johnny Golden, Larry Cox and Rik Pekkonen.

Exclusive management: Larry Laurence, Unlimited Management.
Write for Fan Club Information to : Punch International, Suite 911, 11661 San Vicente Blvd., Los Angeles, Calif. 90049

Cover Photograph: Richard Edlund/ Liner Photography: Jim McCrary.

CD reissue: UICY-75312 (Japan, 2012)*
JB

So that's who Punch is! Their song "Fallin' Lady" is the only song on the whole 25 volume "Have A Nice Day: Super Hits Of The 70s" series that wasn't a chart hit. I always wondered why that song was included. Someone at Rhino must like Punch.

This two-male, two-female quartet, known as PUNCH, consists of Steve Adler, Charles Merriam, Kathy Ward and Dee, whom we don't know the last name of. A couple of years later, "Dee" was replaced by Tricia Johns (Tris Jons) and the group was known as SONOMA, who released an LP, as well as a non-LP single on ABC. The group found work backing other artists, individually and collectively after this album and their second. One notable album is session guitarist Mike Deasy's solo album, LETTERS TO MY HEAD on Capitol.

The cover photo looks like very "Photo Studio Quality", while on the back, the group is trying to keep from falling down a very steep street (In San Francisco?). Wonder who discovered this "Bunch called Punch"? And "Howe" did Bones and Bob Alcivar seem to be the right producer and arranger as A&M seemed to be the right label for this Starland Vocal Band of its time? Guess we had to "be there" to know.

SIDE ONE

Why Don't You Write Me -- Yes, the Simon and Garfunkel song! And done on their Bridge Over Troubled Water album. Most of the same musicians backing these "unknowns" played on the original, as well. The vocals were arranged so each member can do a very good take.

Mayflower -- Written by the group's lead songwriter Charles D. Merriam and featuring majestic orchestrations by Sid Sharp and his "Real Strings". Steve & Dee sailing and wailing away on lead.

I Know It's Your Life -- An almost "Answer Song" to Eric Burdon and The Animals' "It's My Life And (I'll Do What I Want)". Merriam wrote, while Gary Illingworth inserts an appropriate piano solo, introducing and punctuating the piece very noticably.

Piece of My Mind -- Another "statement of purpose" written by Merriam. Very fun & playfully done! The lead vocals are by Steve & Dee.

Blackbird -- The Beatles song, of course. Charles arranged the voices so each of this "fab four" can soar through a part. Rather "cryptic keyboards" by Gary Illingworth.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps -- A rather noisily weeping guitar by Mike Deasy introduces this other Beatles number. Dig the pounding keyboards surrounding the able voices carrying this piece of Rock, just right.

SIDE TWO

Travelin' Boy -- The Paul Williams & Roger Nichols ballad Williams, himself will be soon heard doing on his upcoming LP. And there will be remakes a-plenty by countless other artists in the years to come, as well.

Abraham, Martin & John/ I Shall Be Released -- Two decent songs written by Dick Holler and Bob Dylan, respectively. Often done individually, here made into a medley. Vocal solos by Charlie and Steve. Larry Knechtel accompanies the group on piano. Mike Deasy plays an acoustic guitar, as opposed to one of his "hand carved bodied" electrics.

Fallin' Lady -- Another bouncy and lively piece written by Merriam brings the album to life again. "The Lady wanting to be free, is still on one's mind".

Love Song -- Written and originally performed by Leslie Duncan in England, it took a while to catch on in the states. But Olivia Newton-John had a hit with her version and it wouldn't be long before Lani Hall would also do a version on A&M. Elton John even did a version with Leslie accompanying him, too. And I have versions by Vikki Carr and The Lettermen. On this version, Alcivar, Holman and Howe arrange the strings, woodwinds and voices in a very ear-catching way.

Open Highway -- Here's the Grand Finale! "Merriam's Ostinado"! A well-written and well-sung "artist epic"! The Girls, Kathy & Dee take the lead!

And don't forget this non-LP Bonus Track, issued as a B-Side '45'...

Rhymes -- Written by Charles D. Merriam and Anne Herring, wife of recording engineer Buck Herring. This is the B-Side of the "Love Song" single, which is almost a Merriam solo. You hear an acoustic guitar, Joe Osborn's bass, and eventually an organ, as well as the other three voices. Arranged by Bob Alcivar, Charles Merriam and Bones Howe.

This was followed by another '45' with the Howe/Alcivar team on Bell, "Sweet Life", which may have been another Merriam composition and its presumable B-Side, Barry Mann's "I Heard You Singing Your Song".

Another Fine......PRODUCTION AND SOUND BY BONES!!!!! And HOWE......!!!!!

Dave :D

The music tracks on this album feature the creative talents of these great musicians: Hal Blaine - drums (the Monsters!!); Joe Osborn - bass; Larry Knechtel and Gary Illingworth - piano, organ, harpsichord; Zavier - 12 string guitar, Mike Deasy, Dennis Budimir, Fred Tackett, Mike Anthony -- electric and acoustic guitars; Jimmy Rowles - RMI organ; Bob Alcivar - piano on "Travelin' Boy"; Bones Howe - tambourine, handclaps; special thanks to our concert master, Sid Sharp.

Studio production assistant: Johnny Golden/ Production co-ordination: Shelley Gordon W. Morgan, Gay French, Pam Vale
Engineered by Bones Howe in the 16-track facility of Wally Heider Recording, Hollywood, Calif., with the helpful cooperation of Johnny Golden, Larry Cox and Rik Pekkonen.

Exclusive management: Larry Laurence, Unlimited Management.
Write for Fan Club Information to: Punch International, Suite 911, 11661 San Vicente Blvd., Los Angeles, Calif. 90049

Cover Photograph: Richard Edlund/ Liner Photography: Jim McCrary.

One of those classic "right place, right time" stories...I bought "Fallin' Lady" as a single on a visit to L.A. the week it was a hitbound on KHJ (August 18, 1971).

That was the only appearance on KHJ's playlist...the song never charted there...a very rare thing.

---Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty said:
One of those classic "right place, right time" stories...I bought "Fallin' Lady" as a single on a visit to L.A. the week it was a hitbound on KHJ (August 18, 1971).

That was the only appearance on KHJ's playlist...the song never charted there...a very rare thing.

---Michael Hagerty

Well, even though there's no website on this group, yet, I got my info from my other records that the four have been on as back-up singers, following this LP and their second. Not to mention people who have "been around" when this stuff actually came out and "really" heard it better than I. :laugh:

GEMM has mainly the S/T album and '45's from that album, as well as a Bell single or two, which I don't have. I ordered the non-LP A&M single, "Rhymes" from there, a few years back, and much to my suprise at a recent Records Show, found a copy of "Rhymes" there. Each was a B-Side to the then-should have been often played "Love Song". There's Sonoma stuff there, too. Found that LP, a sucessor to the A&M around here in my random searches, but someone online had the non LP single--the B-Side to that group's "Love For You".

A good source on Old Records Such As These has long been Terry Hounsome's ROCK RECORD. Though given that the author lives in England, its MANY records it gives info about are mainly ones made and released there, so some artists and groups like this one here can even get ignored or "slip through those cracks", if they haven't been heard of there, although there are US releases, too.

Dave

Dave said:
...and the group was known as SONOMA, who released an LP, as well as a non-LP single on ABC.

A similar move to ABC was made by Shango about a dozen AOTWs ago...

Dave said:
The cover photo looks like very "Photo Studio Quality"...

Read that front cover photo credit carefully... Richard Edlund was a commercial photographer (and former Navy Photographer like me) from the mid 60s thru early 70s. In 1975 he joined the photographic team setting new standards for film special effects in a warehouse in Van Nuys, California for a little independent space movie with big studio backing. The producer/wrtier director of that film called his effects team "Industrial Light And Magic" and the movie was originally called The Star Wars... Today Edlund runs his own effects house and is a proud owner of several Oscar statuettes for his effects work on the Star Wars films, Indiana Jones films and others...

--Mr Bill

I've finally located a copy of the PUNCH album. From earlier descriptions like this thread, it sounded like something I'd like. My occasional searches turned up the one and only CD that was released in Japan as part of the 2012 A&M 50th Anniversary. This disc contains the full album and is followed by seven mono single versions.

And I do like this one. It's somewhat reminiscent of the Roger Nichols album with some homegrown songs, covers, and male/female vocals.

Apparently member Mike Deasy has posted a playlist of the tracks on YouTube:

Back
Top Bottom