PUNCH vs. cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
When I saw the PUNCH cover (A&M) from 1971, it reminded me of the Saturday morning Hanna-Barbera cartoon series "Butch Cassidy" on NBC which ran from September 8, 1973 till August 31, 1974. One of the members looks like the drummer (voiced by Micky Dolenz of "The Monkees") who plays Wally. It was about a bunch of young government agents posing as a rock-and-roll group. I was 9 years old when NBC cancelled the show back then. I have watched the reruns when Cartoon Network show it. There were 13 episodes of the show. I am not sure if the show is on "Boomerang!" (known as Cartoon Network 2) because I don't get that channel. There is a picture at: http://www.wingnuttoons.com/ButchCassidy.html & information. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I kind'a miss that Punch album (A&M SP 4307); Wish it would come out on CD... There were a couple of '45's, one of which I had and the other I'm not sure even really came out, while the group also released another Single with 2 Songs, on Bell...

Dave

Somehow I don't really remember Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kids -- only The Brady Kids, the Animated spin-off of The Brady Bunch and of course, The Archies, as far as Musical Cartoon-Series go...

Nice of you to find that, though, Matt; Keep Us Up On It! :)

Dave

Hi everybody! Hey, Dave, I miss PUNCH too.. In fact, I am probably the biggest PUNCH fan there is.
Something about their vocal harmonies..and that catchy "sunshine pop" sound (yes, just like the Partridge Family)
has always intrigued me and I quickly became a fan way back in 1971 when they were on A&M and released their
only lp on that label, (SP-4307) produced by Bones Howe.They weren't together very long..but here's all I know about them.

They were 2 girls and 2 guys. Led by Charles Merriam, who wrote most of their material, played guitar and sang.
The other guy was lead singer Steve Adler (the guy with the curly hair on the cover of the A&M album). The girls
were Kathy Ward (the strawberry blond stunner) and a very cute girl with dark hair simply known as "Dee".
In all my research through the years, I could never find out Dee's last name.

Anyway, they had one hit single culled from the A&M album called "Fallin' Lady". It didn't really do all that well,
but it is included on the Rhino CD, "Super Hits Of The 70's - Volume 3". The album was not much of a success
either and A&M dropped them sometime in 1971. They jumped to Bell Records in 1972 still with Bones Howe
at the recording helm and had real high hopes for their debut single on that label; a cover of Barry Manilow's
"Sweet Life". Another great record with a great chorus...but it flopped. Bell kept them around long enough for
a second single, a Barry Mann song called "I Heard You Singing Your Song" which was a nice tune but way
too safe. It too flopped. (the Partridge Family also did a version of this song on their 1973 "Bulletin Board"
album...also on the Bell Records label.) They were dropped from that label soon after.

1973 saw the band reform as "Sonoma" and they got a record deal with ABC-Dunhill. Dee was now gone
but replaced by Tricia Johns who did a lot of studio work around that time. She had a great voice
and added a new chemistry to the line-up. They recorded one album for Dunhill, simply called
"Sonoma" (DSX-50156) and released their first single entitled "Love For You" which was a terrific song
but only a minor hit. Pity too, because it was a real strong song....gorgeous melody and a very memorable
chorus. It should have been their breakthru. They hung on with Dunhill through 1975 and recorded
two more singles but nothing stuck.

The end came in 1976 after they were signed to yet another label; this time MCA Records. They
recorded two superb singles... "Way Of A Clown", which I feel is their best record and the
disco-flavored "Hey Boy", another great song for the time. Nothing happened with either and that
was the last anyone heard from them.

Here's a list of their vinyl singles:

OPEN HIGHWAY (stereo) / same song (mono) - A&M 1220 - promo
WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS (stereo) / same song (mono) - A&M 1233 - promo
FALLIN' LADY / TRAVELIN' BOY - A&M 1288
LOVE SONG (stereo) / same song (mono) - A&M 1269 - promo
LOVE SONG / RHYMES - (Canadian import single) - A&M 1269
WHY DON'T YOU WRITE ME / ABRAHAM, MARTIN & JOHN/I SHALL BE RELEASED - A&M 1307 - promo
SWEET LIFE (stereo) / same song (mono) - Bell 45,223 - promo
I HEARD YOU SINGING YOUR SONG (stereo) / same song (mono) - Bell 45,272 - promo
LOVE FOR YOU / THANK YOU JUST THE SAME - Dunhill D-4365 - promo
FLY LIKE AN EAGLE (stereo) / same song (mono) - Dunhill D-4383 - promo
DREAM, DREAM (stereo) / same song (mono) - Dunhill D-15028 - promo
WAY OF A CLOWN (stereo both sides) - MCA - 40606
HEY BOY (Do You Wanna Make Some Love) - (stereo both sides) - MCA - 40663

I hope this info fills in a lot of gaps for people. I realize there aren't many who remember them, but
let's not forget that A&M did give them their first chance. And for that I am eternally grateful.

My best to all...! Bobby Vox

Well, thanks for the info on those singles... I really thought "Sweet Life" was the PAUL DAVIS song!! "I Heard You Singing Your Song" (Presumably by Barry Mann) was also done on Bell by The Partridge Family, though not as a single--only a track on their final album, Partridge Family Bulletin Board (Though all along, it was really just DAVID CASSIDY with Background Vocalists) I had the Non-LP "Rhymes", on A&M, of which there was another A&M single I'm still on the look-out for, "Waitin' Holdin' On"--though you don't have it listed, and I'm doubtful of its release... I had the non-LP track "Dream, Dream" by the second incarnation of the group Sonoma, which borrows a "chorus-line" from The Eagles' "Witchy Woman" on the refrain and has me wondering if "Fly Like An Eagle" is the Steve Miller song, 'cause that sure wasn't on the album... No suprise that they tried a couple songs for MCA, which of course, bought-out ABC Records and those two titles smack of songs that are similarily-named...

And thanks for the info on your research... "Dee's" last name might forever remain a mystery, and I saw the Have A Nice Day-set in the Series issued by Rhino, which did contain "Fallin' Lady"... A try at making a dent in The Charts, if I even recall, and nice that, as someone here put it, that "Someone at Rhino must like Punch..."

Dave

Barry Mann "Lay It All Out" (New Design) a division of CBS Records only went to # 213 back in February 12, 1972 for 1 week. That album contained "I Heard You Singing Your Song" (with Carole King on vocal harmony). The song "When You Get Right Down To It" went to # 105 & # 40 (Adult Contemporary) back in February of 1972. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Aretha Franklin covered "When You Get Right Down To It" in 1973, I think...

Dave

...Remembering another Album Of Long-Ago...

Well, thank you, Dave for all of your info!! No, Sonoma's "Fly Like An Eagle" was not the famous Steve Miller song. It was actually another Charles Merriam-penned song for the group. It's a good pop tune with some nice chord changes in the chorus and like all of their stuff, has great 4-part vocal arrangements... but it never created a stir. Now, I had never heard of "Waitin' Holdin' On" in all of my years...but I must tell you, I am now even more intrigued. I will try hard to search it down any way I can.

Yeah, I guess the PF was always David Cassidy (and on a smaller scale, Shirley Jones) with back-up musicians... But it was fun to as a young teen to fantasize that they were an actual band (like the Cowsills who they were modeled after). Anyway, thanks again to you Dave...and to all A&M fans.

Bobby Vox

Oh, yes....one more thing... The Punch 45 "Sweet Life" is not the famous Paul Davis hit. It's actually a great tune by Barry Manilow (featured on Barry's first album, "Barry Manilow 1" - Bell 1129 in 1972 but later released on Arista, AL-4007 in 1975). Though Barry did a fine job on the original, I prefer the PUNCH version ... basically because Steve Adler's gritty voice better suits the strong chorus in the song. Incidentally, both Bell singles are always up for auction on ebay. Same goes for the SONOMA singles. They pop up all the time as well.

Bye for now..

Bobby Vox

Bobby Vox said:
...The Punch '45', "Sweet Life" is actually a great tune by Barry Manilow (featured on Barry's first album, "Barry Manilow, I" - Bell 1129 in 1972, later released on Arista as AL-4007 in 1975...

Yes, that album was actually staring right at me at the Salvation Army Surplus Store, which fortunately had a stereo to play it on, too! The LP was actually the Arista reissue of the Bell original; it had a few tracks remixed, including "Sweet Life", from what I read on the Inner-Sleeve, which sadly had no lyrics to the songs... A "Great Tune" is right! :thumbsup:

Dave

...I'm gonna have a sweet life, the sweetest life that you ever seen; Mamma can you hear me, Mamma can you hear me, Daddy do you know what I mean; Mamma can you hear me, Mamma can you hear me, Daddy do you know what I mean... :agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom