Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

henryjg

I recently received a sunshine pop compilation from a friend and one of the tracks on it is "Why Don't You Write Me" by Punch. I seem to remember this group being discussed on here at some point but I can't find much info on them anywhere. They were an A&M group, right? Does anyone have a discography? I think they have at least one full LP, right? Are any of their recordings available on CD?

The song "Fallin' Lady" is on "Super Hits Of The '70s: Have A Nice Day, Volume 3" on Rhino which came out in early 1990. I am still waiting for HIP-O SELECT to reissued that & the bonus tracks!!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Hi. Actually I am the official A&M Corner PUNCH fan. (Well, Dave and I are). Anyway, yes they made one full-length lp on A&M simply titled "PUNCH" (SP-4307). It was released in 1971. The hit single, "Fallin' Lady" was from that album, as was the song you mention, the Simon & Garfunkel cover "Why Don't You Write Me". The group members were Charles Merriam (leader, singer and main songwriter), Steve Adler (lead singer), Kathy Ward (singer) and Dee Steele (singer). Several singles were issued from this one lp but most were demo copies and not much happened with any of them except for "Fallin' Lady" which was a minor hit. Then they jumped to the Bell Records label and released two singles; "Sweet Life", a Barry Manilow song (from Barry's 1st Arista lp), and "I Heard You Singing Your Song", a Barry Mann song also covered by the Partridge Family (also a Bell Records act - in fact, many of the same musicians were on both recordings). The Bell singles did absolutely nothing (although they are great songs and great recordings - both easily obtainable on ebay and gemm) and Dee left the group soon after. Fast-forward to 1973. They regroup as SONOMA, replace Dee with studio singer Tricia Johns and jump to the Dunhill label. They release one album that year for that label, simply called (what else?) "SONOMA". It was a great album (also easily found on ebay and gemm all the time) and did contain one excellent single, "Love For You" but did nothing with the public or the charts. From 1974 through 1975 they recorded two more singles for Dunhill; "Dream, Dream" and "Fly Like An Eagle" (not the Steve Miller song). Both did nothing with the public or the charts. Then they jumped to the MCA Records label and recorded two more singles; "Way Of A Clown" which is (in my opinion) the best recording these people ever produced, and "Hey Boy" a disco-flavored single...both excellent records, but did absolutely nothing in the music world. That's the last I have heard from anyone associated with them.

Excellent scenario Dave. Just to review the "lost" non-album singles by PUNCH and SONOMA:

"Rhymes" - AM-1269 - PUNCH (b-side of "Love Song", the Leslie Duncan song covered by many artists including Elton John) Year: 1971

"Waitin', Holdin' Out" - AM-1233 - PUNCH (b-side of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps") - Year: 1971

"Sweet Life" b/w (same) promo copy - Bell 45-233 - PUNCH - Year: 1972

"I Heard You Singing Your Song" b/w (same) promo copy - Bell 45-272 - PUNCH - Year: 1972

"Fly Like An Eagle" b/w (same) - promo copy - ABC Dunhill D-4383 - SONOMA - Year: 1974

"Dream, Dream" b/w "High, High, Higher" - SONOMA - ABC Dunhill D-15028 - Year: 1975

"Way Of A Clown" b/w "When You Want Love" - MCA-40606 - SONOMA - Year: 1976

"Hey Boy (Do You Wanna Make Some Love)" b/w "Big Ship Glory" - MCA-40663 - SONOMA - Year: 1976

Another footnote to the PUNCH / SONOMA story:

All four members of SONOMA (Charles Merriam, Steve Adler, Kathy Ward and Trish Johns) provided background harmonies on studio guitarist Mike Deasy's 1973 solo album called "Letters To My Head", Capitol Record label, ST-11170. Mike played lead guitar on almost all of the Punch and Sonoma recordings and is credited exclusively for his lightening-charged guitar solo on their cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the 1971 PUNCH album.

Bobbyvox said:
...Another footnote to the PUNCH / SONOMA story...:

...All four members of SONOMA (Charles Merriam, Steve Adler, Kathy Ward and Trish Johns) provided background harmonies on studio guitarist Mike Deasy's 1973 solo album called Letters To My Head (Capitol, Record Label, ST-11170)...

Yes I had that record once, too...

Bobbyvox said:
...Mike played lead guitar on almost all of the Punch and Sonoma recordings and is credited exclusively for his lightening-charged guitar solo on their cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the 1971 PUNCH album...

I eMailed Mike at his Website about how he makes that "sound" with his guitar and much to my suprise, he asked, "What Sound?"... I also have an eMail which at least tells what "effects" he uses...: a Volume Pedal and I think a Fuzz-Feedback, both of which I once had, back when I was trying to play "LEAD" Guitar...

OK, what will it take to make a PUNCH / SONOMA Mega-Set on CD???!!! :goofygrin:

...GREEDY, Isn't I...??!! :badteeth:

Dave

Well, Dave...we can keep hoping, but I personally don't think it'll ever happen. It is, at least, encouraging that "Fallin' Lady" was digitized for cd to include on the Rhino "Have A Nice Day" disc, so at least we know the A&M masters are still around. But as for Sonoma, I can't find anything or anybody who knows or cares about them...

Oh, here's another SONOMA / A&M Records tidbit I had forgot to mention earlier: SONOMA members Tricia Johns and Kathy Ward both sang backup on Michelle Phillips's A&M 1977 solo album "Victim Of Romance". Actually, Tricia Johns got a "special thanks" credit mentioned in the album sleeve.
I remember one source reporting that Tricia actually sang with Michelle for much of the album as a "guiding vocal" in the studio but I have no way to know if that's ever been verified or even true.

Bobbyvox said:
...Another SONOMA / A&M Records tidbit I had forgot to mention earlier: SONOMA members Tricia Johns and Kathy Ward both sang backup on Michelle Phillips's A&M 1977 solo album Victim Of Romance... ...Actually, Tricia Johns got a "special thanks" credit mentioned in the album sleeve...

Yes, having had that album, too, I know! In fact it's been reissued with Extra Tracks! :)

Bobbyvox said:
...I remember one source reporting that Tricia actually sang with Michelle for much of the album as a "guiding vocal" in the studio but I have no way to know if that's ever been verified or even true...

Well, you know me and my favorite music--I'll believe ANYTHING!! In fact if the album was intended to be a Duet Album, then that'd go with me, too... Just wish that it would be more widely available; ie. a Domestic Product...! :sad:

Dave

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to post that I have upload to YouTube a track from their A&M LP...The track is "Abraham, Martin & John/I Shall Be Released." I chose this one because, towards the end, it sounds very muich like it could have been a Fifth Dimension track. This is due, no doubt, because it was Bones Howe producing and the Wrecking Crew playing on it...I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQxEkutwkC8&fmt=18

All I can say is "thank you!" and I'm "Waiting, Holding Out" to get the Punch/Sonoma mega-set on CD...!

Motownboy, you saved the day w/ this song!

And helped us out w/ "something to listen to in the womb"...!!!!!!
baby.gif
:shh:

Dave

Thanks, Dave, I am getting motivated to upload more tracks from the album....By chance, do you have any pictures of Punch I could use in a video?

Thanks, again,

David

Hear (and see) the Punch version of Paul Williams' "Traveling Boy" here:

Summed up in my following quote, on my thoughts of the "unreleased effort", preceding A&M SP 4307, the actual product:

Either put out on the 1971 release as you hear it...OR...a bit of a "demo", after Paul plugging his songs, thought this was an ideal number for this "New Group"; ...Remember, Williams didn't release his version until he recorded Life Goes On in '72, maybe just to distance himself from this would-be hit... The song centers around Bob Alcivar accompanying the group on piano, demonstrating the potential as Paul, supposedly looks on...

Dave

Wow! As the biggest PUNCH and SONOMA fan in the world, all I can say is... "thank you Motownboy!" I believe you are the first person to ever post PUNCH on youtube. I've done all the research I can do on the group and I've posted it all of it here on the "corner". My oldest memory is back in 1971 when "Fallin' Lady" was a hit here in Los Angeles. Something in Steve Adler's voice intrigued me and I bought the album. I was instantly taken with Charles Merriam's original songs and those fantastic vocal arrangements which were very popular back then. I thought their voices blended well and had a secret crush on Dee Steele. ( I was only 14 years old....) I only wish they were more successful... To this day I still am not entirely sure A&M did enough to market them, but then again, they had the Carpenters on the same label and they were extremely hot at the time making their own history. I keep hoping someone from the group would contact A&M Corner and give us their story.

I too am a big fan of the group Sonoma. I have their album by the same name and enjoy listening to it often. The best cut, as you all have stated is, "Love For You" and was played almost every day on the Los Angeles, California radio station KNX-FM in the early 70s. They did a version of "Rolling Down A Mountain Side" by Isaac Hayes as well. Does anyone know where I might find a copy of that recording? Also, is Steve Adler the same "Guns & Roses Steve Adler? Just curious about that. If anyone knows how I might get in touch with any of the members of this band please let me know. I would like to send them my praise and thanks for making my 70s very cool. :)

I was just curious when I ran across the forum discussion on the vocal group
PUNCH on A&M Corner. The Luziana Band was a group of bayou state boys (of which I was one) who were on A&M concurrent with the group PUNCH. Had some links in common (Bones Howe, their producer and the producer of the popular vocal group, The Fifth Dimension, had also agreed to be The Luziana Band producer, but the label balked at his asking price in the wake of [what the label felt was] non-commercial product in the form of PUNCH's first album on A&M.
A series of such "false starts" so-to-speak turned us [Luziana Band] into
somewhat of a political hot potato resulting in only one 45 ever making it
to vinyl, "Mind Over Matter/I Got No Home", which although being deemed
Billboard's "Pick-to-Click" upon release, never got the enthusiastic support
of the label and consequently flubbed.

Both acts were passed on for any further involvement by A&M. The Luziana
Band broke up, PUNCH went for a short stint at BELL Records [I think the
link there was The Fifth Dimension/Bones Howe], then ABC/Dunhill as Sonoma [the new name picked personally by the label head- not a bad choice, I might add ... although Steve wasn't crazy about it to begin with]. I went on the road with PUNCH several times after the departure from A&M playing bass in their back-up band. I shared an OLD house for a couple of years with the lead singer, Steve Adler, and several other guys [including their road manager Dane Tucker] in beautiful downtown Burbank, before I returned to my home state in 1977 where I have been since. I have lost touch with all of those people and I ran across this website googling Steve Adler and PUNCH's leader, Charlie Merriam. They were all talented and GOOD people. Charlie, Kathy, Steve and Dee. Wherever you all are, I wish you the best [and I apologize if I am not exactly on-point with the combined history.

giannib01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom