• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Question about atvaudio.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeInKY

Just wondering if anyone had purchased any audio tapes from atvaudio.com. I stumbled onto them while looking for something completely different (thanks Monty Python). I searched here and found a couple mentions of the site. Looks like a pretty comprehensive listing of who was on what show in the 50s - 70s. I suppose the quality of the sound would be pretty variable and what with most of the musical performances being lip synched, it might not be worth the money. Just curious.

I haven't used them, but I used to record some TV shows onto cassette back in the 70s. I did have the one TJB special (for Coney Island, with the Muppets) taped, but I doubt I could even find it now.

I had a small reel to reel recorder at one point and tried recording some tv, but usually there was enough extraneous noise that the tapes weren't that great.

My cassette recording came out well, largely because the portable had a separate input for audio, and I could use the cable between the earphone jack (there were two on the TV, one of which didn't cut the speaker when it was plugged in) and the input. The first minute or two of the show, however, was done by microphone since I was scrambling to find the cable. :D

My audio recording of the CONEY ISLAND/Muppets special also came out well. I recorded it to reel-to-reel in fast speed (7 1/2 ips) with direct audio jacks to my stereo receiver, since it aired on our ABC affiliate on channel 6. Chnnel 6 audio can be found at 87.7 on the FM dial, so it eliminated all of that TV-buzz that you sometimes got when recording direct from a TV.

Harry

You all are one up on me then. We had a big old Curtis Mathis console that did everything but drive itself home but we couldn't plug in externals. I had forgotten about TV audio being broadcast on radio. I've only had one experience with that. The CBS station did simulcast audio and it was handy if I wanted to listen to "Dallas" while doing something productive. We get shortchanged in KY with these newfangled things. :D

In Harry's case, he could tune the tuner just slightly below the FM band (I believe 87.9 is where FM radio may have "officially" started) and pick up the audio portion of channel 6, and get better sound quality than anything I could do. Our local stations were 2 (CBS), 4 (NBC) and 7 (ABC), so I wouldn't have been able to get them.

There were FM stereo simulcasts for a few years, before stereo TV broadcasts became available. In fact, for Live Aid, not having cable, we had some of the program on in the early morning on a local independent station, with commercial breaks, but the audio on the radio continued straight through. I have that VHS tape somewhere, recorded in stereo (but it was in the days before I had a VHS HiFi deck).

We have it easy today! :laugh:

I looked at their website...couldn't find any prices. Suspect it's a case of "if you have to ask, dahling, you cahn't afford it..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom