• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Question about LOOK AROUND Album Cover Photo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavos

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the cover photograph of SM&B66's album "Look Around"?

I found a photo on the web, a while back which was a photo shoot done at a picnic in a field somewhere with all of the A&M artists which was I believe was used for a compilation album cover promotion for A&M and I'm pretty sure that the "Look Around" album cover was a photo of SM&B66 taken from this photo shoot.

Does anyone have any more information on this photo shoot? The photographer where it was shot etc.

I'm looking for the name of the compilation or album and it's image of which the whole group photo is on.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Please let me know if anyone knows anything! Thanks!

Happy New Year!

VOS

The compilation you're referring to was called "Family Portrait" and it was a promotional album marketed by the Singer Sewing Machine Co. in late 1967 or early 1968. I don't have a photo to post but I'm sure that someone here does.

David,
who fell in love with "Flea Bag" because of that LP..........

WOW! Thank you so much for the speedy response. Does anyone have that photo to post?

Ya know, I love this board. You guys are the best.

:)

VOS

The front cover shot of "The Beat Of The Brass" would also appear to have been shot during the same session. I'm guessing the location is Griffith Park...just north (and a little east) of the A&M lot.

---Michael Hagerty

So cool. Thank you again, I didn't think I'd get such a quick response. Here's another question... Does anyone know where I could find a great print of that? Or perhaps the album itself?

:)

VOS

Family Portrait can be easily found in your neighborhood thrift shops. It also pops up on eBay and GEMM.com with frequency. It has never been on CD. It's stock number is SP19002. SP19001 which preceded it was the Million Dollar Sound Sampler which was sponsored by Singer Sewing Machines. I'm not sure Family Portrait was a Singer sponsored project. The third in the series, Something Festive, was sponsored by BF Goodrich.

Here are pictures of all comps in the series. The series is only nine LPs long and only these six are multi-artist compilations:

sp19001.jpg
sp19002.jpg
sp19003.jpg

sp19006.jpg
sp19007.jpg
sp19009.jpg

19006, Music Box, was sponsored by BankAmeriCard. 19009, Odyssey, was sponsored by Altec speakers. 19007, Burt Bacharach & Friends, is a tribute which, like Family Portrait, has no indication of sponsorship... Sergio is present on the first five, Lani Hall on the last one -- so technically all six have something "Sergio-esque." (The other three in the series are special single artist collections by Herb Alpert, Dick Summers and Bill Wyman).

--Mr Bill

That same photo was used for trade magazine ads for A&M Records. Here's the two-page spread photo, with a small section missing where the pages were removed:

1639319821481.png

Last edited:
If not for Family Portrait, I would never have been "turned-on" to the number of A&M Artists that it introduced me to and had me buying... I mean that WAS its purpose, wasn't it?! :D

Dave

...Yes, Jimmie Rodgers was where I actually 'started'... Thanks Harry, AGAIN for the "Nice Spread"; think I remember you showing it to us before... (On the OLD D-BOARD?) :)

It's stunning. I just ordered a copy of "Family Portrait" on Ebay. Thanks guys. You're all phenomenal. :)

God I love being enlightened. More music to explore! Thanks again everyone.

VOS

By the way, you might be surprised to learn that the mix on Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66's "Like A Lover" that's found on the FAMILY PORTRAIT albums is slightly different from the normal album version. Sergio added a little piano riff in the section leading to the instrumental bridge that's missing on the FAMILY PORTRAIT LP.

Harry

I never listened to Family Portrait all that closely--I'm going to have to dig it out of mothballs now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom