• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Radio expert on Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were, say, a Sammy Kaye version of "Tea For Two" played back then, yes. On the other hand, a number of performers from the 90's to the present have succeeded admirably in re-popularizing old songs by placing them in new settings (Linda Ronstadt, Rod Stewart, etc.) I find this preferable to the Harry Connick types who seem determined to make "new old records" with deliberate, almost parodyish, big-band-era arrangements. (Whether you could do much with "Tea For Two" is another question...)

I'm glad I keep my ears open to current pop music. Do I like everything? No. Did I like everything 40 years ago? Also no. But I'd like to believe being receptive and not automatically rejecting everything new keeps one "young at heart." Last year, while waiting for a bus, I faked a twenty-something couple out of their socks by quoting the lyrics from Karman's "Brokenhearted." The reverse holds true too; I was rummaging thru a boxful of old Dean Martin 45's at the local vinyl shop when a young goth guy with pierced everything faked me out of my socks by singing part of "Hey, Brother, Pour The Wine" word-for-note perfect. One never do know, do one? (This thread is wandering off track, and I'm not helping matters any, so will wrap this up.)
On her Nelson Riddle albums,Linda Ronstadt didn't "repopularize old songs by placing them in new settings"-she recorded vintage standards and remained faithful to the original arrangements.

Nelson Riddle actually used the same charts with Linda that he used with Sinatra & Rosemary Clooney in the late 50's/early 60's.

On her Nelson Riddle albums,Linda Ronstadt didn't "repopularize old songs by placing them in new settings"-she recorded vintage standards and remained faithful to the original arrangements.

Nelson Riddle actually used the same charts with Linda that he used with Sinatra & Rosemary Clooney in the late 50's/early 60's.

Yep - spot on! Some of her best work in my opinion. Nelson's daughter is a friend of mine. I might just pick her brain a little about his work with Linda. Unfortunately he died before production was complete on the second album. A true genius he was indeed.

Yep - spot on! Some of her best work in my opinion. Nelson's daughter is a friend of mine. I might just pick her brain a little about his work with Linda. Unfortunately he died before production was complete on the second album. A true genius he was indeed.
Didnt Nelson Riddle die before completion of the third album he did with Linda?
1. What's New 2. Lush Life 3. For Sentimental Reasons

Linda's version of "I've Got a Crush on You" is among my favorites of her recordings.
I lead a team at work whose ages range from 26 to 60. We usually have lunch together and often talk about musical tastes. As you might guess, those of us age 50+ have fond memories of the Carpenters. Mention them to those in their 30s and 40s and they give you a look like they just sucked a lemon. Those in their twenties say they've never heard of the Carpenters.
The only radio stations I listen to are "oldies" format but they don't play any Carpenters (or Bread, Three Dog Night, Beach Boys, Beatles, etc.) It's strictly 1980s-90s. I chalk it up to "all things must pass". I don't see any popular revival of interest in the Carpenters unless, in a very long shot, there was a movie made of "Little Girl Blue" with some big names attached, and it was done well. I don't expect that to happen.
I have sometimes wondered if so many of the Carpenters hits hadn't already sounded like a throwback in the '70s, would they have endured longer on oldies playlists. I doubt it, considering that it's pretty rare for anything from that decade to get a spin now. I do often hear them playing over the PA systems in shopping centers and car dealerships, and of course they've turned up in the occasional movie and TV commercial.

Linda's version of "I've Got a Crush on You" is among my favorites of her recordings.
I lead a team at work whose ages range from 26 to 60. We usually have lunch together and often talk about musical tastes. As you might guess, those of us age 50+ have fond memories of the Carpenters. Mention them to those in their 30s and 40s and they give you a look like they just sucked a lemon. Those in their twenties say they've never heard of the Carpenters.
The only radio stations I listen to are "oldies" format but they don't play any Carpenters (or Bread, Three Dog Night, Beach Boys, Beatles, etc.) It's strictly 1980s-90s. I chalk it up to "all things must pass". I don't see any popular revival of interest in the Carpenters unless, in a very long shot, there was a movie made of "Little Girl Blue" with some big names attached, and it was done well. I don't expect that to happen.
I have sometimes wondered if so many of the Carpenters hits hadn't already sounded like a throwback in the '70s, would they have endured longer on oldies playlists. I doubt it, considering that it's pretty rare for anything from that decade to get a spin now. I do often hear them playing over the PA systems in shopping centers and car dealerships, and of course they've turned up in the occasional movie and TV commercial.
you hit the nail on the head. most of the hits don't really sounded dated or '70s throwback. Listened to Rainy Days the other day and just marveled how contemporary and timeless it sounds. As the C's would always say…. "our music is not trendy."

Aww, one of my favorites too. I adored her work with Nelson Riddle. For Sentimental Reasons sums it up well. Those songs take me back to hearing them on my mother's radio in the kitchen, day in and day out. A simpler time. If they have that affect on me, they must have had a profound affect on true artists like Linda Ronstadt and R & K Carpenter.

The only RADIO EXPERTS as far as I'm concerned are the chaps-n-dolls holding 100 million copies of Karen the meadowlark to Earth and beyond!

,isn't the topic about radio experts well then I have hundreds of copies others have millions of copies how about you you must be a radio expert to are you wouldn't be here talking about Karen the meadowlarks singer

I used to be a radio expert. I knew how to turn it on and off. And in my expert opinion radio never did play enough Carpenters music. Especially 1975 forward.

You may now return to your serious topic.
You're being modest. I'm sure you called in requests too.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2015
MeTV Launches MeTV FM Radio Network in Chicago
Weigel Broadcasting Co., the innovative creators of MeTV Memorable Entertainment Television, announce their latest broadcast venture with the debut of 87.7 MeTV FM. Unique among local radio stations, 87.7 MeTV FM will bring a distinctive "Me Music" sound featuring a deep playlist of classic pop and timeless tracks. 87.7 MeTV FM will be MeTV’s companion for audio format. 87.7 MeTV FM is a unique blend of memorable, timeless and classic pop music that the boomer generation listened to from the 1960s through 1980s. Just as many of MeTV's most popular programs had vanished from the airwaves, replaced with reality shows and exploitative programming, 87.7 MeTV FM's playlist has largely been replaced by artists and genres the massive boomer audience doesn't relate to or connect with. Now MeTV FM 87.7 brings back all the music this generation made their own.

MeTV FM 87.7 Core artists include Carly Simon, James Taylor, The Eagles, Elton John, The Carpenters, Motown superstars, America, Neil Diamond and hundreds more. Now is the time they want to ask listeners to "Think outside Pandora's box," to "modify their Spotify" and be "a little less 'Sirius' with Me... 87.7 MeTV FM

Read more: http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2015/02/metv-launches-metv-fm-radio-network-in.html#ixzz3RMdEIIPX

On my local '70's station and the one on cable, the song selection is all rock, hair band, Motown, and some "acceptable" folk songs. Otherwise, the music that dominated the 1970's is missing: John Denver, Helen Reddy, Olivia Newton-John, and even Barbra. The critics have worked hard to continually diminish Karen and Richard's talent just like they did back in the day. That's how "noise" gets elevated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom