Randy Alpert's TJB Medley

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one question that I meant to ask you when I visited you in July. We all know you're Herb's nephew, but it never occurred to me to ask who your father was. The only brother of Herb's that I'm aware of is Dave Alpert, who was a drummer. I know there were a couple of other brothers and a sister, if I remember correctly. Since you're a drummer yourself, would Dave be your father? Or am I reaching here? I know Dave wrote some of the TJB tunes, and I think he was also involved in putting the A&M Studios together in some fashion. Am I close on this one?

BTW, I hope you're staying dry in all of that rain that's happening in CA right now!

Hi Bill:

It has been raining quite a bit out here in the desert.

Herb has one brother Dave who is indeed my Dad. My Dad started teaching me drums when I was 4 and started playing trumpet when I was 6. I went with my Dad and uncle to many many weddings, film shoots, dances, etc where they were playing in the very early 60's. I'd sit on the back of the bandstand and uncle or my Dad would bring me some cake during the set breaks.

At family parties my grandfather (Herb & Dave's dad) would play the mandolin (which grandpa taught me to play) my grandma would play the violin, my great aunt would play the accordian, my aunt (Herb's sister) would play a little piano, etc. We always had music in the family.

My dad was also a general contractor and came to work with Herb and Jerry in 1966. He built all of the recording studios and over the years has been involved in every construction project from the A&M lot to the various offices around the world. He still goes to work everyday with uncle and Jerry.

Take care Bill,
randy

Hi Randy:

I want to thank you for the kind words. I am honored to get a reply from you. I have met and hung with some music royalty in the past, including Ringo, Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, and Joe Walsh to name a few. When I first realized that the reply was directed to me from you, I sat here with chills and was moved somewhat emotionally.

Your uncle Herb was the very first person to move me musically! Without his influence, my 40 years in music may never have happened. You are his nephew and a man of enormous talent in our own right. You played a large role in 1979 in the continuance of Herb's success with great production on "Rise" and "Beyond". Thank you for being a down to earth person, and being a man that is just living out his passion!

And finally, yes I still practice my drums to a lot of TJB styles. Nick Ceroli was a drummers drummer and still amazes me today! I learned about meter with this guy! No push and pull here!!

Thanks again Randy and have a great 2005 :D :thumbsup:

Randy, I'd like to join the others here at the Corner in thanking you for so generously sharing your memories and knowledge with us. We're probably not your ordinary Herb Alpert fans, since we live and breathe this stuff, and I for one deeply appreciate your willingness to satisfy our collective curiosity.

I've always thought Julius Wechter's marimba in "Rise" was integral to how that tune comes together and the total effect it has. Can you share any insights or memories with us about how and why Herb made the decision to include Julius's marimba in the arrangement? Did you know or work with Julius or any of the other Baja Boys? Thanks for anything you care to share about this!

Mike A.

Forgive the belated response, but I just now got around to reading this thread ...

Just when I think that A&M Corner can't possibly get any cooler than it already is [and I can't tell you how much joy this site brings me!], Randy Badazz shows up here! :D :goodie:
Randy, thanks much for popping in and sharing with us! You made my day!
And neverending thanks for your contributions to your uncle's albums. I can think of few other records that can give me goosebumps quite like "Rotation" and "The Factory" can. Truly mindblowing records.

Jeff F.
(P.S. Tony - thanks for sharing the John Peel quote about radio. That is a really great line!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom