• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎷 AotW: Jazz Return To Forever - ROMANTIC WARRIOR

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Return To Forever
ROMANTIC WARRIOR
Columbia Records
71SWl8YXTgL._SY300_.jpg

Released 1976

Peaked at #3 on the Jazz Albums chart, #23 on the R&B Albums chart and #35 on the Billboard 200 Albums chart (1976)

Produced by Chick Corea
Produced in Coordination with Forever Unlimited Productions
Assistant Producers: Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and Al DiMeola

Songs:

1. Medieval Overture (Chick Corea) - 5:14
2. Sorceress (Lenny White) - 7:34
3. The Romantic Warrior (Chick Corea) - 10:52
4. Majestic Dance (Al DiMeola) - 5:01
5. The Magician (Stanley Clarke) - 5:29

6. Duel Of The Jester And The Tyrant (Part I & II) (Chick Corea) - 11:26
Musicians:
Chick Corea - Acoustic Piano, Fender Rhodes, Honer Clavinet, Mini Moog, Moog 15, ARP Odyssey, Yamaha Organ, Polymoog, Marimba, Percussion
Stanley Clarke - Alembic Bass with Instant Flanger, Piccolo Bass, Acoustic Bass, Bell Tree, Hand Bells
Lenny White - Drums, Timpani, Congas, Timbales, Hand Bells, Snare Drum, Suspended Cymbals, Alarm Clock
Al DiMeola - Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitar, Soprano Guitar, Hand Bell, Slide Whistle

Recorded February 1976 at Caribou Ranch, Nederland, Colorado
Recording Engineer: Dennis MacKay
Assistant Engineer: Tom Likes
Remixed by Dennis MacKay at Trident Studios, London

Cover Art: Wilson McClean
Original Logo: Gerard Huerta
Liner Photography: CRPS

Available at Amazon.com (with song samples): http://www.amazon.com/Romantic-Warr...binding_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1396480817&sr=1-1

Capt. Bacardi

There's an audience-shot video of "Duel" on YouTube from recent years, when the "reunion" version of RTF was onstage, and Jean-Luc Ponty joined them on this cut for a violin solo. That is likely one of the catalysts for the RTF lineup with Ponty. And in a sense, that guest appearance was also like a Rite Of Strings reunion (Clarke/DiMeola/Ponty).

I've liked this album quite a bit! Unfortunately it was a last hurrah for this lineup, since Musicmagic came next. And we don't need to go there. :laugh:

Just reflecting for a moment. The first "rock" RTF album Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy is probably my least favorite of this version of RTF; it loses something without having DiMeola on guitar. Not that Bill Connors was any slouch, but DiMeola's sound and approach were more unique and IMHO fit the band better. "Vulcan Worlds" is one of my favorite tracks of this lineup, as is "No Mystery", which shows a different side of their sound. It was a good four-album run. It's a shame he had to reform the lineup and bring in the wife on Musicmagic, which musically IMHO is a dud. It's true that Flora Purim did vocals on the first two albums, but that lineup was a totally different vibe.

We also can't overlook Stan Getz's album Captain Marvel which is the first RTF lineup, with Tony Williams on drums, playing primarily RTF compositions. I've liked that one quite a bit.

I agree this is the last great album for RTF. It's pretty much the acoustic masterpiece for these guys. The title track is worth admission alone. There's not a bad track anywhere on this album. I really love the "Duel Of The Jester And The Tyrant" tune as well. Great build-up from beginning to end. Ah, this period of fusion was great. Sure miss it these days!

Capt. Bacardi

Just reflecting for a moment. The first "rock" RTF album Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy is probably my least favorite of this version of RTF; it loses something without having DiMeola on guitar. Not that Bill Connors was any slouch, but DiMeola's sound and approach were more unique and IMHO fit the band better.

I can understand that. But I love Hymn. Connors had a different approach from DiMeola that I found refreshing. I didn't care much for the RTF IV with Frank Gambale. He's a gifted guitarist but really didn't fit with RTF. That was kind of a tough show to sit through when I saw them a couple of years ago.

Capt. Bacardi

I have not heard this is thirty years....but wow, did I love it back in the day.....

I didn't hear it until about 2010 or so--I think I heard one or two Return To Forever tracks on my one Pandora station, and that sort of led me into the whole RTF/Corea/Di Meola thing for awhile. (I already was a Stanley Clarke fan from my school days...no pun intended. :D )

There is a two-CD "Anthology" (on Concord, I think?) that has remixes of all the RTF tracks. I normally don't go for remixes (and I do have original LPs here now), but the remixes take away a lot of that dated sound. I do hear minor differences. The Montreux video is worth seeing for the RTF reunion in 2008.

I have that Montreux DVD and it's excellent. I mentioned back then that they started that reunion tour here in Austin. I was there that first night. An amazing performance!

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom