• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Review: Richard Carpenter Live at the Carpenter Center 10-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

On October 2, 2004 Richard Carpenter gave a rare public performance at the 10th anniversary celebration for the Carpenters performing arts center.

Richard was billed with comedian Bob Newhart. After a set of brief announcements and accolades for the volunteers who worked on the gala, Richard came out backed by a 15 piece band. Carpenter regular Tommy Morgan was on harmonica. Richard looked great. He still is very thin and wore a tux for the performance.

The evening could have been billed as “The Carpenter family singers.” Richard used the performance to showcase three of his five children. Here is the set list.

RICHARD
(Medley) Here comes Santa Claus, Frosty the snowman, Rudolph
STACY CARPENTER
“Our day will come” (from Now & Then)
Part of your world (From the Little Mermaid)
RICHARD
One Love
MINDY CARPENTER
Little dolly
How lovely to be a woman (From Bye Bye Birdie)
COLLIN CARPENTER
All I want for Christmas is you
My Birthday comes on Christmas (Spike Jones tune)
God Bless (Old Jimmy Boyd record)
RICHARD
Medley of tunes from his 1997 solo album
Sing
Goodbye to love
Rainy Days and Mondays
Yesterday once more
Superstar
For all we know
ENTIRE FAMILY-Encore
Top of the world

The audience had a great time, and Richard & Mary were very proud. I was hoping for more music from Richard, but we were happy to see him back on stage again.

In fact Mindy was the star of the night. She has a great voice and stage presence. She is more comical and Broadway like. Yes, she sings alto as well. She was very funny.

A great big "Thank you" to Jeff for posting his review. Who else from the corner went, too? The only other person I remember is Peter. How about you, Randy? Now if someone could post some pictures ... !!!!

Marilyn,
who sends "hello" to Sakura!

My husband and I drove 6 hours to see the show. It was well worth it!

I never thought I'd see Richard on stage again after all these years. And the bonus was getting to see Traci, Mindi Karen, and Colin sing as well. The kids performances were great. Richard mentioned when setting up for Top of the World at the end that he had to use a different key than he used to for Karen, so I'd say the kids all have higher voices, but they aren't done maturing either. Traci has great control, Mindi is a cut up, and Colin is just adorable. He looks like a miniature Richard. At one point he forgot his line, and he waved his hand back at his dad who rescued him with it. But like a trooper, he kept right on to the finish. They all have a great sense of timing and pitch, like their father. Mindi's song "The Dolly" is a very funny song, made funnier by her performance. Afterwards, Richard said to her "Karen would be so proud of you - her namesake." Then to the audience: "Karen always had a bit of a warped sense of humor." :wink: I think there's a star on broadway for this kid.

Bob Newhart was such a kick!! We love his humor. He's one of those comedians that makes it so obvious you don't have to be dirty to be funny. The audience was kept in stitches.

Too bad these things are always so far away on the west coast. I'd loved to have seen Bob Newhart too - he's a very distant cousin, and resembles my dad.

Needless to say it's been nearly thirty years since I've seen Richard live.

Harry
...east coaster, online...

Hello Marilyn! How wondeful it is to be able to read concert review on the web!?
Thank you for A&M Corner!

Sharon, glad to hear you had a great time!!

Years quickly go by. At first Richard solo concert in Japan I knew Richard and Mary had their first child. At second concert two of their children sang "Top Of The World" with other children. (I think Richard said that three of his children would sing but two children would sing on that day. But my English ear is very poor, I'm not sure.)
Mindi said that she'd like to be an actress. Hope her dream comes true!!

:wave: RICHARD, COME TO JAPAN AGAIN, PLEASE!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

I read an interview with Bob Newhart, "Will Bob Newhart sing at Carpenter?"
Q: Your appearance is being billed as a double headliner with Richard
Carpenter. Which Carpenter songs are you going to be singing with Richard?

A: (chuckles) We haven't rehearsed yet.

Q: Has he given you a set list?

A: I'll be doing Karen's part, I guess. :oneeye:
Sakura

Did any of the attendees have an opportunity to speak with Richard? How about viewing the CarpenterS display case. Can someone describe the look and feel of display and what's it like to see Karen's Grammy's the Holiest of Grails? Are they cleaned shined and buffed? Or do they look dated? Wouldn't it be cool to hold one for an instant? I wonder where Karen displayed hers privately. I wonder what E-Bay would command for such an item. Anybody here ever held a Grammy? What are they composed of? What does the placard on the Grammy say? Are they stored securely and safely? And why would RC put such a precious piece of memorabilia out of his daily reach? I understand the generosity angle. Yet being ever the selfish dude I couldn't do same. Could you?

Jeff

Wow, so many questions...

The Carpenter display is fantastic. It has everything you'd ever want to see, from Karen's drum set to dozens of gold records. Everything is behind glass and security is tight.

Fans of the Carpenters know Yuka for her great work on behalf of Karen & Richard in Japan. She has many pictures of the exhibit on her great web site. Go to http://iceland.cool.ne.jp/yuka/english/Carp/
and check on the link to the CPAC opening. You'll see what I mean.

Nice to hear how the concert went. I was just thinking how cool it would be for Richard to take this show on the road. He could use Bob for the opening act & Richard could use a video screen & play a few songs with Karen & then others without her & mixed in between he could introduce us to his family & perhaps some singing from the family. I wonder if Richard would ever consider this?

Perhaps a great question for the official site.

At this concert in CA did Richard sing with Karen on video screen? Did he mention Karen at all, if so how & what did he say?

Chris:
No video for Richard. He has used it in other concerts (to great effect once with "From this moment on". That was a chilling effect!). He did mention that he thinks of Karen every day, and she is missed. He also mentioned that giving his daughter Mindy the middle name of Karen was appropriate. He said they both have a "warped" sense of humor.

But, as I stated before, this was more of a "home spun" concert. It was not produced or staged like Richard's solo concerts in 1997.

Thank you so much, Jeff for your report.
Though each one of these kids may have a different direction to go in, I just can't help thinking of a Carpenter kid becoming a singer in the future.

Having a great father like Richad can really bring a good reason and environment for them to be interested in music.
Still, if that would happen, I'm afraid a lot of pressure would be put on them because of their father as a successful star with a goody-two-shoes image.
Okay, it's a little too early to think about that.

BTW, to me, Mindi always reminds me of Karen as a child.
They were chubby and cute.

Anyways, do you think this show was a success and expect another one to happen again?

I forgot to mention something in my description of the show. Richard said that Top of the World is going to be the new theme song for Aquafina bottled water. He said "so if you weren't already sick of that song, you will be next year". He has quite the sense of humor, which was evident the entire evening.

Back in UK at last and at work again .... :wink:

Jeff -we must have missed each other several times -when both attending Richard concerts / events ...we must meet up ...ideally at forthcoming TOTW 3 benefit ....now pencilled in for March 19 2005 ...one week later than originally planned ....:cool:

Really loved this concert ....it was great to have Richard with Mini-Orchestra plus University Choir ...on stage to celebrate 10th Anniversary for CPAC .... :D

Will add more comments / review ...later this week with more time ... :sad:

Jeff , Sharon , Shannon -did any of you attend the post concert reception with Richard ? ...again on great form with fans and admirers and none of that silly ...no photographs ...no autographs ....no bothering Richard ....line that some staff came out with last time around ....Richard was happy , signing & being photographed with everyone ....:cool:

Met Joe P & Sandi at reception...Joe should add to this topic ....soon .... :tongue:

Another fab CPAC concert event .....with a little persuasion , some luck ... ideally Richard will perform some full length CPAC & East Coast concerts in 2005 to support delayed solo album ....and perhaps a tour / concerts for 2006 in USA , long promised UK concerts & another trip to Japan... :shock:

Richard backed with Symphony Orchestra(s) & choir plus some long term Carpenters musicians ...LIVE ....with his talents ....would be awesome for fans and music lovers together ....:cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom