• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard and The Choir

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

Just been reading the reviews of Lovelines and came across this quote from djn - "This production gives me an inkling where Richard could've headed foregoing his oft induced chorale singers."

I'm totally in agreement with you, by the way. I love Kiss Me. But with regards to his use of choir during Karen's lifetime, with the exception of the entirely successful use of the choir in Xmas Portrait, only 5 songs used the chorale, I Need to be in Love, I Just Fall in Love Again, Argentina, Calling Occupants, and The Wedding Song. Personally I feel the choir fits perfectly into the first 4. Only in The Wedding Song does it descend into anything close to schmaltz.

I truly feel of the 9 songs he used the choir on from 1983 onwards, only a couple would have retained them. I think he was probably petrified of not having any backing vocals on an entire album. I also think he was turned off by only his vocals and not the blend with his sister. Add to this the ridiculous deadline A&M gave him to release VOH (initially 5 months from the death of his sister) and you can see why he used the choir.

Had Karen lived, I really think they would been used far less, if at all (they were barely present on MIA). . .and his block harmonies on TIME are some of the best he ever did (just a shame Karen wasn't around for THAT blend).

I so much prefer a remixed Need To Be In Love. In'76 desperate for chart action the choir relegated this tune from the FM dial to the elevator. A sure miss. The remix plays down and some seem to drown the backup carolers which leaves Karen to read her intimate anthem. Karen on backup, putting more thrust into the chorus was something I wanted from the onset. Too bad about me huh? While Just Fall In Love Again is read well I still felt in '77 that duking it out with Anne Murray's arrangement would've been a no brainer. Argentina? The singers appear to fit this piece perfectly. With Occupants I get more of a rock opera effect sorta Queen-likeish. Christmas Portrait beautifully executed hands down. Old Fashioned Christmas while lovely, lacking Karen starkly, does feed heavily on the merry marvels of choirdom. But alas, a welcome festivity. It's Christmas so Sing, sing a song or what have you...someone once said. The Wedding Song...I'm at a loss. Always glad hearing Karen's gift but why it made 81's "comeback" release makes my head spin. This track squarely placed last call on the album, leaves the listener with visions of a group sorely out of touch. Or was it the producer? This June release from two people who reportedly pined for chart action. Umm umm umm I can only shake my head as I type away my humble opinion. Post '83 with the dawn of Voice of the Heart imminent, it would've served the voice of the heart better had brother wrapped his chords around the trax in the same way as Your Baby's backups. He did superb. Featured his efforts and a triumph. I'd like to think that A&M would've supported a lil more studio time for ol Rich to enhance the remaining offenses. Somehow Karen surrounded by strangers howling and carrying on isn't/wasn't a fitting swan song. I literally crave...yeah, like 12 steps crave, a re-release of the posthumous offering stripped of all strangers. Seemed then and now like a rush job and I'm quite surprised that this was permitted. These are simply thoughts that trickle to and fro in my noggin' guys. Apparently Richard still possessed the magic music or he couldn't have laid down the sumptuous ear candy of his solo TIME. But then came that Pianist, Arranger thing and right back into the elevator. While I can appreciate it...in places, it was lost on everyone else. If RC or the powers upstairs can put out that drivvle and still hope of $$$ success, what's stopping the "rest" of the unreleased, bargain basement or otherwise not fit for commercial release efforts? Dreaming of the yet to come keeps me smiling and hopeful but the idea that the package is covered in choir...where is the nearest razor blade?

gosh, that boy does go on don't he?

Great topic and posts above ^^

I just don't understand why he didn't use his own backing vocals....at the time his vocals were still at their peak when he finished VOTH. I have always said he should have reissued VOTH years later the way it should have been released but what is done is done and its too late now. I would be curious to know if at this point in his life if he even has a singing voice left or any desire to use it.

I had written to Richard, as many have regarding the Voice Of The Heart Choirs...(blah). He responded somewhat testily saying that he "worked his butt off" because he had to finish that Album quickly for what he thought would be a 1st Quarter of 1983 release by A&M. Karen passed away in February so there wasn't much time left for the first quarter. Then...A&M didn't release the album until the 4th quarter of 1983. I had also asked if he would ever revisit the album and he replied 'No'. That was a lot of years ago, so maybe someone could pose the question again...hmm.

Is it really only five pre-1983 and non-Xmas songs that use the Chorale for the backing vocals? It feels like a lot more than that. However, Richard was using more overblown backing vocals on some later tracks on Made in America like Touch Me When We're Dancing and Strength of a Woman, so maybe that explains why it seems like more.

I'd have to agree with djn that the use of the Chorale on I Need to Be in Love was a big mistake. It just drowns the track and causes it lose whatever contemporary edge it might have had in 1976 - I'm not convinced that it would have been a smash hit without the Chorale, but losing it would surely have helped. The live versions from the 1976 tour and the Bruce Forsyth appearance in 1978 both sound so much more intimate and direct without the Chorale bogging them down.

I also agree that Richard would have been better advised to just use his own backing vocals like he did on Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore than to employ the Chorale to fill the gaps on so many of the songs - the Chorale works OK on the standard-style tracks, but on anything attempting to be more contemporary - Make Believe It's Your First Time is a good example - it just ruins it.

I agree Rumbahbah. "I Need To Be In Love" and especially "Make Believe It's Your First Time" were bogged down and lost so much pop and radio credibility because of the choir.

It would be cool if Richard remixed these to remove the choir and include on some future compilation set most likely from Japan. This is why I love Karen's solo version of MBIYFT so much better, it's more intimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom