Richard at Capitol Studios...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I was reading the post regarding Richard's SACD mixing sessions at Capitol Studio "C" and it reminded me of an interesting story I heard about him 8 years ago.

In '96, I was recording at A&M (when it was still "A&M"). At which point, I hired an engineer by the name of Bill Smith, whom I had met at Capitol several months earlier while he was a staff engineer there. During this particular session at A&M, I was working with an artist who also paid tribute to Karen Carpenter, and the conversation came up between the three of us out in the courtyard during a session break regarding the Carpenters.

Ironically, Bill had been an assistant to late Roger Young at Capitol a couple of years prior for the "Interpretations" release. I remember him telling me how awe-stricken he was by Richard's ability at the piano as he watched him tear through THIRTY TAKES of "From This Moment On", trying to match the new piano with Karen's voice. I just remember Bill shaking his head and saying "Man, can that guy play a piano!"...

I am always stoked to gain new insight to Richard's continued contribution to the Carpenters' legacy. Just thought I'd share that with you guys. :) -Chris

Thanks, Chris. That's what I think we should remember that's not on the linernote.

Incidentally, I had a chance to join a recording by someone I know and Richard through a tv charity auction in early 1996.
Along with a few other fans, I did backup choruses on Yesterday Once More and I videotaped Richard play from the engineering booth.

He started practicing at the piano and stopped it soon. He found a wrong key and had someone come up and corrected it.
He recorded a couple of other pieces like We've Only Just Begun and Close To You. On the former, he did the choruses on his own and on the latter, we joined for the wah's.
Later on, we were told he found someone in the group was off key but it was not me! Anyway, it was a real time of my life :wink:

After I read Chris's post again, I imagined what it was like playing one song 30 times! I should check out what takes it took Richard when he was with us for recording each of the three tracks.
And thanks for leading me to Akichi's site, Sakura. I haven' t been to this site for long!
In the case of Akichi, who won the right for being the 'third member' of the Carpenters for about $5000 through the show, they reserved him a recording studio for 2 hours including a photo session with Richard for the private cd cover. Actually Richard wouldn't compromise his performance so it took him 4 hours and the people involved in this project seemed pressed for time with the recording behind schedule and maybe other reservations waiting.
I don't know how much it takes you to rent a recording studio and three engineers and photographers but it must have cost them a lot more than they expected.

You can see Akichi dressed in a similar shirt as Karen's and posing with Richard for the camera just like from the 22 Hits cover. Rich then mentioned he had still kept the same jacket though he couldn't wear it any more.

Sakura, did you check out the sound clip files in the Hammer Price on his website yet? I think I could have sung them better. Sourgrapes? :oops: but hey how can I spend $5000 like that?:rolleyes:
I hate to say this but I wish he had given me a cassette copy of the songs without his vocals. I hear they made only 3 cd copies each for Richard, Akichi and the Hammer Price show.
During shooting the show, Richard presented him with a chic pocket chief.
Anyway, Jim, he was the lucky guy. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom