• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard Carpenter Live on Los Angeles PBS pledge drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

Richard Carpenter was a live in studio guest on 3/17 at KCET Public Television in Los Angeles. They were re-airing the "Close to you-Remembering the Carpenters special.

Richard played a grand piano between segments of the show. He looked great (yet a little thin). He seems to have aged since the footage from the documentary was shot (96 & 97).

I wish had some great information to share, but Richard was asked only a few questions, and they were all the stock ones. You know like "how did you get started, what's your favorite song (WOJB) and how did you create the arrangements. No new answers or insights. No mention of the fundraiser this weekend or future projects. The premiums offered were the Close to you Video or DVD, or the "Carpenters play Carpenter" CD.

The only fun part of the show must have occurred backstage. If you check out your Carpenters programs from the 70's, you'll remember that Richard says his musical influences were the "three B's": Beach Boys, Beatles & Bacharach. Ringo Starr was the previous in studio guest, as they showed his recent all-star concert. I would have loved to hear these two greats share some stories.

Looking forward to the TOTW.....

I heard that Jim Brickman hosted. That is pretty impressive. Did Jim have any interesting comments about the Carpenters?

Thank you very much for your information, Jeff!

I'd like to know what song Richard played. :rolleyes:

Richard was asked about "three B's" on Japanese TV program in 90's, too.
Was Ringo with Eric Carmen at concert? Or from more recent concert? :rolleyes:

Would anyone tell me which drums of Karen that were only 3 in the world? And how many tom tom(?)s? :rolleyes: One for Ringo, one for Hal Blaine?

Sakura

Yup Jeff, this is what I wrote about a few days ago on a post Richard Updates with PBS. I saw this, broadcasted in my area, agree he looked quite different from the video, he looked much thinner but he had a nice tan.

Hi Chris,

I read your post. I also enjoyed following messages of Andrew, Peter and yours. Thanks!

I am just interested in Richard's performance and things related to Ringo Starr.

Sakura

This was a different appearance than the national pledge drive he appeared on last week. PBS has national feeds, as well as local stations. He did much more talking on the National apperance. This was done live on Tuesday from the KCET Studios in Hollywood.

For L.A., Jim Brickman was the host, but he stayed glued to the telepromter. He seemed to be a big fan, but was stuck in the pledge drive format.

Richard played "Top of the world", "For all we know", "Close to you", and "Karen's theme".

Thank you very much, Jeff. :wink:

I know two programs were different, becasue you wrote "Richard Carpenter was a live in studio guest on 3/17" at the beginning of first message of yours. :agree:

Sakura

I saw the re-run on KCET of Los Angeles the other night. Richard looked good, but completely lost! He even hit one "sour" note while playing the piano. And, it sounded like he didn't have a microphone to speak into. I got the impression the KCET producers didn't properly "brief" Richard before he went on air. Some of the questions he was asked seemed like they took him off guard. But it was GREAT to see him and hear him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom