• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

RICHARD CARPENTER SOLO CHRISTMAS ALBUM .....FOR 2005....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ

In case a few members have not seen or heard elsewhere , the great news for Carpenters fans is that Richard C has confirmed his intention to complete & release his long in progress solo Christmas album ....:cool:

Ideally this album will be released for November 2005 worldwide ....including some of Richard's marvellous new songs ....Together at Christmas Again & All I Want Is You .... :D

Peter

I really do hope we will hear some buried treasure of Karen's on this album. I think I speak for the majority of us here, and I know that Richard knows this is what we all long to hear.

I'm not too sure what's left with Karen's voice with respect to Christmas music, but do hope that if there is something half way finished sitting around, that R.C. will finish it and put it out! -Chris

That would certainly be my hope too, but with the moniker of 'solo' album, I'm not holding my breath in anticipation. I expect a mostly instrumental album with maybe a Richard vocal here and there, and probably a guest vocal or two.

Harry
...not sure what to expect with this one, online...

I may be wrong, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Richard expressely did not want to be featured as a lead vocalist and that was one of the motivating factors in recruiting others. I guess he may stretch to a few backing vox here and there, but reckon that's all we'll get.

Stephen

Recently I have fowarded several questions / queries for Richard ....and hopefully I can post some of his replies eventually -one was an update on his solo album & plans for the contents.Over the last 3 years recording period , Richard has changed his plans several times :

2002-plan to have several guest lead vocalists plus many RC lead vocals ....

2003-all change -RC planned mainly guest lead vocalists plus a few instrumentals .....no RC lead vocals to be included ... :o

2004 -still mainly guest lead vocalists & plans for one Christmas classic cover .....

2005 ....awaiting latest plans :wink:

From the songs Richard has performed at CPAC concerts , there are now about 15 original songs completed -more than enough for one Christmas CD ....Richard is writing more new compositions ...so potentially by July / August finalisation date ...20 plus will be available plus several covers ... :!:

There was a rumour that Richard would include one Carpenters out-take as a bonus track ....possible songs ....included ....Adeste Fideles with Karen , Richard & Gene Kelly , New Year Resolutions with Carpenters & group members or 1978 out-take Play A Simple Melody with Carpenters , their parents & Gene Kelly guesting on a great Irving Berlin song ....:cool:

My own personal view is that Richard having worked so long & hard on this album ....it should remain RC leads , instrumentals & guest lead lead tracks only ....of course having Carpenters track(s) would increase sales 100 times over ...but this needs to be resisted .... :shock:

Richard needs to release his own set only ....to allow him to creatively move on & not always be linked to Carpenters on each of his solo albums ....Time had the tribute to Karen , PACC had Karen drums & backing vocals ...which only re-emphaised his glorious past rather than steering clear for his future .... :o

Ideally Richard will next complete SACD releases for both Carpenters Christmas albums ....and include several bonus Carpenters tracks for the fans ....around Christmas 2006 ....otherwise Universal will take the usual lazy option of just releasing Richard's album, dumping it out & not promoting or supporting it & issuing another mega selling Carpenters compilation to keep them happy & the revenues rolling in .... :wink:

Peter

I sometimes get the feeling that Universal 'tolerate' Richard's solo ventures, because the cost of producing them can be off set against the massive revenues the Carpenters catalogue generates.

Let's face it, it's probably not going to sell enough to even chart, not unless:

a/ there's a (jointly credited?) single released on the back of it, and
b/ that track would also have to be commercially viable AND successful enough to chart and have a positive impact on album sales.

Stephen

newvillefan said:
I sometimes get the feeling that Universal 'tolerate' Richard's solo ventures, because the cost of producing them can be off set against the massive revenues the Carpenters catalogue generates.

Let's face it, it's probably not going to sell enough to even chart, not unless:

a/ there's a (jointly credited?) single released on the back of it, and
b/ that track would also have to be commercially viable AND successful enough to chart and have a positive impact on album sales.

Stephen
This reminds me a little of Paul McCartney's "DRIVING RAIN" album.

To be quite honest, it was probably a labor-of-love issue for Capitol with him. This was not at all a good album commercially, but probably a very personal one for Paul. With his monumental record sales what with "The Beatles", "Wings" and previous solo efforts, I don't think the record company took much of a hit.

This is probably Richard's approach at this point. I DO however feel that if he decides to throw something on there that features Karen in any way, the # of sales would increase, at least somewhat. -Chris

I think it would be kind of interesting to put his kids doing some number(s) on this! After all, Didn't Colin, and maybe Traci, sing some of the new songs at CPAC?

Marilyn,
who can't hardly stand the wait for this album!

I disagree about the possible success of an RC solo holiday album. I think it could be a hit, if Richard went out and promoted it. A holiday tour, with Christmas tunes and Carpenters classics. A TV tour of talk shows, a guest on another artists holiday special, or even the Macy's parade.

I really believe the Carpenters legacy live is untapped. I've seen Richard in concert and it was beyond my expectations. He was great! The Japan tour he did in 96 could be adapted for a symphony tour. The video footage he has of Karen could be used in concert, similar to Natalie Cole. I always remember the chilling effect from the opening of the CPAC in 1994, Richard was on piano live, with a giant screen of Karen above him. He played "From this moment on" live to a video of Karen. It worked really well.

I just think the 45 plus crowd who attends pops symphony concerts around the country would love an evening of the Carpenters holiday music. However, it's been 22 years since Karen's passing, and Richard has done only a handfull of apperances. He must not be interested.

Marilyn -while it would be fascinating to have one or two solo tracks with Carpenter family lead vocals ...it is unlikely to happen ...yet ... :o

Richard had no plans to include any children's vocals on his album -it is just too soon ...possibly when Traci , Mindi & Colin are several years older , still interested in music & willing to put up with media interest ...there could be some Richard composed / produced material :wink:

As for Richard's solo album ....the potential is there for some ongoing success with a seasonal album over several years ...there is more support & radio airplay for Christmas albums from music industry now than when Carpenters recorded their two sets during 1977/1978 period ... (and these overcame resistance to become annual sellers & respected albums ) :shock:

Yes, Richard needs to promote this set far more actively than his first two & Universal need to support this release ...the children are older , Richard more focused than on earlier releases & more aware that leaving everything to music companies rarely succeeds .... :rolleyes:

Richard needs to issue this album in his own right ....without Karen memorial songs as on Time set or Karen drums / backing vocals as with PACC album. As with Karen's solo project ...it should be Richard's own album ...

From this should ideally stem some film songs with John Bettis , film scores , a musical , a Jazz-based album , an American Standards album & more ....:cool:

Of course as with many other fans , I would love another Carpenters Studio album , a follow up Rarities set , SACD Christmas album releases with some bonus tracks , DVD & TV Special issues ....and even more if possible... :wink:

But these are for the future ....right now Richard needs to focus on his solo album, ideally some Christmas concerts & an orchestral tour for 2006 /2007 ..... :D

Peter

Whilst it would be great to see Richard go through with all the activities mentioned in previous posts, it's all far more than he's done for any previous solo release, and let's remember, in his own words he's 'semi retired' these days.

Working to the pace the record company might dictate, IF he was serious about promotion, is something he specifically said he's glad he doesn't have to do anymore ('Carpenters Forever' documentary).

Stephen

newvillefan said:
IF he was serious about promotion, is something he specifically said he's glad he doesn't have to do anymore ('Carpenters Forever' documentary).
Stephen

Actually, as much as he would rather be doing something else, the "CARPENTERS FOREVER" doc is fantastic, at least from the standpoint of the remarkable degree of unseen footage, full length songs in concert, etc. Good stuff! -Chris

We will see as 2005 progresses ....Richard's family is growing up & one of the reasons behind this album delay is likely to be Richard focusing on personal & family issues ....and not being ready for another solo album launch .... :o

Certainly Richard would never take on Carpenters over the top schedule of 1970's ....nor should he at this time ....but some more active music making is coming ....interesting to see some of these outcomes ....:cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom