• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Richard live performance on December 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

Richard will again take the stage at the Carpenter Center on December 20th for two shows with the Musical Theater West. The shows are 2pm & 7pm.

Richard has performed the last few years. He ususally does one song alone, and then two songs with a family member. (Mindi last year).

It's a fun holiday show, but too little Richard for me. However, I always go. Even a little Carpenters Christmas is a holiday treat for me.

Here is the link:
http://www.musical.org/h906xmasHome.html

Thank you for the information, Jeff! Have a great time!!
I'm looking forward to your review.

Richard Carpenter performed with his
daughter Mindy. They will be

performing again this year (2008).

I have guessed that Mindi is busy for High School Choir/Vocal Ensemble this year. Weren't MTW shows earlier in December than 20th this year?

Sakura

Hi Jeff & All,

Greetings to all, having missed out on Richard's previous CPAC 2006 & 2007 Christmas appearances due to family bereavement & work matters ....delighted to have booked tickets for this year ..... :D

Have booked for both concerts & look forward to seeing CPAC Christmas Musical Theatre West performances ....almost Christmas & first time in USA for this season .....:cool:

Jeff -ideally we can met up at CPAC ....maybe I will have to take UK newspaper The Times or another to more easily meet up ....?

Looking forward to Richard & Mindi performances ... would be great for Richard to preview more new songs from long delayed Solo Christmas album or some songs previously performed at Top Of The World Galas and an instrumental of Merry Christmas Darling ? .... :wink:

A few warm days & Carpenters music .....:cool:

Peter UK

Jeff and Peter,

Good to here that we'll have some representation at the CPAC event. Please keep those of us who cannot attend informed.

Harry

Richard made his annual appearance at the Musical Theater West Christmas show at the Carpenter Center. I attended the 7pm performance.

Richard opened the second half with a great solo of "The Christmas song". Richard sounded really well. For someone who is not performing regularly, he sounded great!

The 2nd tune in the program was "It's Christmas time", which is known to Carpenters fans from the Christmas portrait LP. Sorry to say, this song was cut. There was no explanation.

Richard welcomed Mindi to the stage and she performed the Latin number "Panis Angelicus". Maybe it was just me, but Mindi seemed under the weather. Maybe that's why the second tune was cut. She did not have the low alto quality she has exhibited in the past.

After these two numbers, they left and the show resumed. While I expected only three songs, I was disappointed. I always think it's better to explain a change in program, rather than to just avoid it.

They always play a nice video in the lobby entitled "The Carpenters at Christmas". It's a professional video, using clips from their TV specials and new interviews with Richard and Frank Pooler. It just makes me long for a commercial version of the Carpenters Christmas specials. Maybe a PBS special in the future?

Thank you very much for your review at the night that you attended, Jeff!! :) I wish I'd listen to them perform in live!

Whether even if "It's Christmas Time"was mistaken in the program or if it was cut, it should have been explained.

On the day of Home for the Holidays, I clicked Jeff's link again, the artwork changed. There was a photo of Richard at piano, this time Richard's and Mindi's photo. Both taken at last year event, maybe.

Hope their next appearance on NHK (videotaped on October 15th) will air in full.

Sakura

Jeff & All,

Back in UK after short CPAC visit & Christmas with family & friends .....

Really enjoyed these TMW Christmas concerts, having heard so much from previous attendees & I attended both performances ....making up for 2006/2007 ..... :)

I have to agree with Jeff, Mindi did rush 7 pm performance of "Panis Angelicus ", almost as for a first time Mindi was uncomfortable performing at CPAC......it is a difficult song in Latin ....& Mindi's voice was not as capivating as usual. Personally another non -Latin Christmas song or carol would have helped ease Mindi into" Panis" , "It's Christmas Time" would have been perfect & I understand there was not time to rehearse this extra song , probably due to Mindi's school commitmernts.... :sad:

Richard's performances of The Christmas Song both at 2 pm & 7 pm concerts were wonderful, it remains a real joy to see Richard on the grand piano & perform effortlessly this Christmas standard ...really we needed more from Richard : instrumental of Merry Christmas Darling & one vocal from his many recently composed festive songs ..... :D

Mindi was so much better performing "Panis" at 2 pm concert, really took her time, sang clearly & with conviction all Latin verses & smiled at audience & Richard at the completion of this song..."Panis" would be ideal as Mindi lead vocal on upcoming Richard solo album ....with studio time & more rehearsals ....it would be near perfect :cool:

Great Christmas & songs ....wonderful experience .....

Now Richard please complete your long overdue solo album & ideally plan some full length CPAC , East Coast , London Christmas concerts for Fall 2009 & possible 2010 tour ....:cool:

Peter UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom