Richard's solo Christmas album relase information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

If Richard is planning on releasing his long in the works Christmas album this season? We should start to see release date information this summer.

Does anyone know if it will see the light of day this year, or will it be pushed back again?

Our Carpenters friend Yuka posted information in April about it's 2005 release, then pulled it back.

Any news? Will we have new Carpenters music under our tree? :)

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath. We've been hearing about this release since 2002 and I'm beginning to not expect it anymore.

Hopefully one day.

Jeff, it was posted on another forum that a fan wrote to Richard & his assistant wrote back that Richard has no plans for production of the Christmas album. Not sure exactly what that means. Not for this year? Or now maybe the project has been shelved? Don't really know.

I for one was really looking forward to this new Christmas album.

What I don't understand are the finances of the product. While Richard & The Carpenters have made millions of dollars for Universal, I can't believe they funded production, studios, musicans, etc. for this CD and received nothing back for their investment.

I would think there would be some kind of corporate pressure to deliver the CD. Business is business.

The reason this Christmas album hasn't been released is simple-Richard doesn't have a label.Karen & Richard's active release contract expired when A&M was dissolved and taken over by Universal.Richard hasn't signed a new solo deal with any Universal subsidiary(to my knowledge).

I'm not sure about that, when Richard was on the last PBS special promoting his latest compilation, Carpenters perform Carpenter, he told the host that he is still with A & M and talked about his upcoming releases including the new Xmas CD.

So that doens't make sense then. :?:

He's still with A&M. If he wasn't, he'd be releasing compilations on some other label, or else Universal would be putting out knock-off compilations without his input...neither of which is happening.

I would bet he's still just tweaking the Christmas album. A great Christmas album is hard to make...there are only (maybe) a couple of dozen great ones in all of history.

Plus, Richard was very active with A&M (OK, Interscope, aka Universal) when creating and promoting the sound Singles SACD. They probably have a very nice arrangement--he's still providing a quality product for buyers, and Universal makes a profit on it also. There are few artists that still have most or all of their back catalog in print, and Carpenters is one of them.

I saw an interview in the paper in January this year when I was near Thousand Oaks, CA where he now lives. He was quoted as saying his Christmas album would, in fact, come out this year. Cant find the previous thread as reference, sorry.

I think it's all pretty simple. Richard Carpenter, as a solo act, doesn't sell. Both of his solo releases have been commercial bombs. It is a near guarantee that a third would follow suit. Given the fact that major labels these days are only interested in "sure things", I'd truthfully be surprised if we ever see Richard's Xmas record.

Ed

I'm sorry, but I think you are way off base. Both Carpenters holiday collections have sold very well. The genre of holiday music has an older demo. Plus, with guest stars like Petula Clark and maybe even Karen, the possibilities for a new Carpenters style Christmas collection would be very strong.

Plus, overseas the Carpenters are bigger than in the states. I would think this CD would have a better built in audience than Richard's previous solo outings.

I think the market is there for a Carpenter Christmas. Already on tap for Christmas releases this coming season are the Captain & Tennille & Tony Orlando & Dawn. They are a similar demo. The time is ripe.

You're certainly right about the "Xmas album" demographic. I also see what you're getting at with regards the overseas market. Still, though, unless Karen's name is attached to it in some way, I just don't think it'll sell that well.

Ed

mstaft said:
I saw an interview in the paper in January this year when I was near Thousand Oaks, CA where he now lives. He was quoted as saying his Christmas album would, in fact, come out this year. Cant find the previous thread as reference, sorry.
I remember your post, Mark.

The article about Richard's plans for 2005.
He talked about SACD & DVD version of "Singles 1969-1981" and Christmas album.

I wonder when "Singles 1969-1981"DVD version(25 songs) will be released. It was due out in this February.

Sakura

Well, it's a "New Product" and I think it would make a good addition to the previous Christmas albums; Karen or Not, I sure hope Richard comes through. :!:

Dave

...also looking forward to New Christmas Music Under The Tree...! :santa:

RC has been promising us these new songs for quite some time now. I've attended his concert in Oct 2004 and all 3 of the CPACs 'Top of the World' fund raisers. From what I've heard so far, the new X-mas material is pretty good stuff.

It would be really nice if it came out THIS year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. RC doesn't appear to be in any rush to release his new material... and why should he? He's making a fortune collecting C's royalties. He's also getting a tidy sum with CTY and TOTW being used in beverage and cell phone commercials.

Re : Richard's Christmas Album saga ....Richard did mention in December 2004 local newspaper interview that his plans included finally releasing this opus ....after recording tracks during 2002 -2004.... both solo vocals & later guest artist vocals and like Joe P & Jeff having heard great quality songs at CPAC benefits ....there are already in excess of 20 plus tracks recorded :!:

Richard was back recording again this Spring 2005 with a full orchestra - so this is still ongoing & current :wink:

Certainly agree that while Richard's two previous solo sets were poor sellers that was a combination of Richard being inactive promotion wise & A&M not supporting his releases -both expected more of each other .... :shock:

This proposed Christmas release has the potential to be huge in USA & an annual seller with your Christmas market -less so in UK & Europe -because rarely do music majors promote Christmas albums they see as one month sellers -Japan's Carpenters lovers will do fine -overall this should be a consistent seller both to Carpenters buyers & guest artist fans :cool:

I do doubt this will be issued this year -sadly -as the songs are just wonderful .... :D

Perhaps Richard's 60th anniversary (2006) & some Universal / A&M interest / persuasion willl finally gel Richard into completing final mixing & mastering & release this album ( nearly a double...) next year :cool:

Peter ...Some Thoughts ....

As an extra & something for Carpenters fans in 2005 it would be great for Richard to approve two/ three tracks from Christmas sessions & Universal via one label to issue these perhaps as a CD single or with other artists new tracks on an various artists album CD :cool:

Chances of this ....unlikely ....perhaps we need to contact Richard & Universal to suggest this as a taster / interim release before the main course full album, CD in 2006 :D

Peter ....Ideas ....

Reply to Mike B.-Richard is not with A&M anymore.A&M doesn't exist anymore! It only remains as a catalog imprint.When A&M was dissolved in 2000,all A&M artists with active contracts were either resigned to a Universal subsidiary(Geffen/Interscope/Island,etc.)or dropped.Also Richard doesn't release compilations.The record label(in this case Universal)owns the master tapes,and they decide when to release a compilation,and what the compilation will contain.(Karen and Richard's original A&M contract does stipulate,however,that A&M could not release any new material without their permission.This contractual clause has continued through to this day-preventing A&M and Universal from releasing any of the buried treasures in the vaults).

I think you are incorrect. Richard has, and probably always will have, full creative control over his recordings. Whether he "owns" the masters, I'm not sure, but you can bet that if Universal was able to do "whatever they want" with those tapes, then the 20th Century Masters collection would have contained a very different track list (i.e. all big hits, no album cuts.)

As for A&M's existence -- it's a label, so it still exists. It just isn't a separate company anymore. Black Eyed Peas are on A&M, and there was a big A&M ad on the back page of Billboard this week.

Experience dictates that you're both right. A&M is not a label in the traditional sense anymore. It's just a name. All the promo staff, distribution, and the like are handled by Interscope. Many artists did get shifted to Interscope (don't remember any going to Island, Geffen, or any of the others). Geffen became the "dumping ground" for those who were on MCA when they dissolved that label. Anyway, in light of that ad and the recent signing of the Pussycat Dolls, it's altogether possible that Universal aims to change that but, until recently, it was just a name.

Universal does indeed own the masters (they'd be foolish to let them go) and it's been mentioned that Universal asks him to compile songs for "Best of"'s and he does it. The contractual clause makes all the sense in the world too, though it is pretty unusual. Usually, if the studio has paid for the time you used to create the tracks, they have the right to release them whether the artist likes it or not.

Ed

Well I agree that this Christmas CD (even though Karen is gone) still has the potential to be great, people are still curious what Richard is up to and the Carpenters Christmas CD's still sell big time each year, so I have no doubt this one will also sell.

I guess some of you have not seen the special done years ago called Carpenters Forever, Japan documentary...on this 2 hour special, Richard takes the viewer on a tour from begining to end. He starts off riding in his sports car with Carpenters pics on the billboards all across the city Richard driving looking up at them, smiling, then takes you to studio & backyard all the time talking about the music.

I say all this because at the end, we meet his family and then at the end he speaks about making a new Christmas album A & M records, says he writing alot of the songs, working again with John Bettis, & then performs a track written by Richard called, "Together at Christmas Again" some of the words: "My winter's reverie returns to you & me, together at christmas again....and I've been missing you, my friend...There's catching up to do, we're more than over due...it's seems like yesterday..we were kids at play...sharing every dream that we owned...There's still a part of you, that's with me everyday..This friendship that we've known...will never slip away...Days turn into weeks...the months turn into years...but still somehow we've been...together at christmas again"

It's a very moving song and I can't help but think of Karen during this song. Seeing Richard sing this at piano gives me goosebumps.

This new Christmas CD just has to come out. :)

Jeez. Thanks Chris!
Now I am REALLY "jonesing" for this release. :goofygrin:
I haven't seen the special you described and now after reading the lyrics you were so kind to share, I cannot wait to hear that ol' RC magic again.
I will sit and be patient for this because I know that, no matter who or what is on the new release, it will be well worth it.

Reply to Mike B.-A&M is indeed a defunct company-it is not in existence anymore!(you might want to call Universal and ask them!)There was a big article about this in Billboard back in 2000.As for compilations and reissues,again,Universal oversees the reissue of all compilations and out of print catalog albums.I actually spoke with a senior A&M exec about this matter back in 1997,and he confirmed that A&M would be formulating future compilation releases that would be structurally different from the basic "greatest hits" collections.this was around the time that A&M was preparing "Love Songs"for release.I know,however,that Universal consults with Richard on almost every release-for liner notes or remix substitutions.But,back to the original issue-unless Richard finds a new label-there won't be a new Christmas album.

Thanks for the link Harry -- why didn't my music-business head think of that? Must be the heat.

unless Richard finds a new label-there won't be a new Christmas album

This is incorrect. Nobody, especially an artist of Richard's stature, needs a label to release anything. All he needs to do is buy a bunch of TV time, hire a company to set up an e-commerce site and sell away. But since (as Harry proved) he's still signed to A&M, the album will obviously come out on that label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom