*RIP Joe Osborn

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by Song4uman, Dec 15, 2018.

1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

UMG has posted a lengthy article of Joe Osborn:
    Excerpt:
    "The great musician is said to have played on over 200 top 40 hits,
    including ‘Bridge Over Troubled Water,’ ‘Close To You’ and ‘MacArthur Park."
    ----
    "Richard and Karen Carpenter turned up to accompany a trumpeter who was auditioning.
    The bassist was the first to record the duo, on his home four-track equipment, and he helped them to develop their harmony interplay, going on to play on all their hits."“I didn’t know what to do about it,” Osborn told broadcaster Eddie Winters in 2015, of his “discovery” of the Carpenters. “But we talked, and found out Richard had some songs that he had written, didn’t have any way to record them, and so I offered the use of the studio to come and do that. But they had already been playing, as the Richard Carpenter Jazz Trio. Karen was a wonderful jazz drummer, even at that age, and Richard had studied classical music since he was a baby. So they were accomplished musicians at that point.” "In 1996, Richard Carpenter was asked about the impressive bass sound on the Carpenters’ recordings. “That’s Joe Osborn,” he said. “I just wrote ‘fill’…I’m big on bass."

More:
    www.udiscovermusic.com/news/wrecking-crews-joe-osborn-bassist-carpenters-glen-campbell-countless-others-dies-81/

2. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

In the interest of keeping this discussion on topic, a handful of posts debating the use of the word "passed" rather than "died" have been removed.

3. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

RIP Joe Osborn. Such an integral part of the duo's success. He will always have a special place in the heart of every Carpenters fan.

David A likes this.
  4. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

It's well documented that he played on a large number of hits... I'm curious how many actual songs he played on. It has to number in the thousands, since there are scads of albums where he was the bassist for all the songs, not just the hits. Prolific guy, indeed.

5. Guitarmutt

Guitarmutt Active Member

He was and always will be an amazing musician. Rest in Peace Joe Osborn

6. Joeyesterday

Joeyesterday Active Member

Mike,
    You can go to Allmusic.com and see Joe's album credits from the 1960's through the RPO album. An amazing body of work.

7. Joeyesterday

Joeyesterday Active Member

Mike, you may be able to open each album to get individual song credits.

8. David A

David A Well-Known Member

Always sad to hear that another of the talents associated with the Carpenters legacy, has passed away. Time is fleeting.

As @Harry points out, he was the one who heard Karen's voice in his studio and knew he was hearing something special. The rest, as they say, is history. He was an amazing bass player.

Malu Makana likes this.