Rock Hall Of Fame, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
The ceremonies for those (Herb & Jerry) being inducted into the Rock Hall will take place on Monday 3/13. Those in the Cleveland area can watch the 4 hour program at the Rock Hall Museum for a $10 ticket. VH-1 will air an edited version on 3/21 @ 9 p.m. EST.

Also, from the Rock Hall site, a documentary about The Wrecking Crew has been produced by Denny Tedesco, son of Tommy Tedesco. Go to the site for more info: http://www.rockhall.com/museum/calendar.asp

This could be an odd ceremony. The Sex Pistols are refusing to attend, Miles Davis is dead, half of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd is dead, Ozzie Osborne is completely incoherent, which leaves only Blondie and Herb & Jerry to say anything. Good thing there will be music played.

Capt. Bacardi

Since Paul Shaffer usually handles the music for the RRHF, maybe this'll be the key that'll get Herb on Letterman. Shout Factory folks, take note!

And let us use that bright idea to return to the topic at hand. Why the hell don't they just hand the show over to Herb, who then is rejoined by some of the original TJB fellows, and keep the mu$ak to a minimum?

Here's a brief story from the UPI on Herb's upcoming induction:

Herb Alpert ready for Rock Hall of Fame

NEW YORK, March 10 (UPI) -- Trumpet legend Herb Alpert wasn't quite sure how to take the news he was being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"It's certainly an honor," says Alpert, who's being inducted with business partner Jerry Moss as record executives for founding the A&M Records label. "When I got the call I didn't sure how to react, to tell you the truth. It wasn't until my wife's gynecologist called and congratulated me that I figured we were onto something."

Alpert, who has a long history as a recording artist, and Moss founded A&M in Alpert's garage in 1962 and went on to release albums by Alpert's own Tijuana Brass, the Carpenters, Cat Stevens, Joe Cocker, Peter Frampton, the Police, Soundgarden and Sheryl Crow. They sold the company in 1998 to the Universal Music Group.

Alpert continues to record. He recently released "Rewhipped," a remixed version of his Grammy-winning 1965 album "Whipped Cream & Other Delights."

Alpert and Moss will be inducted into the Hall of Fame on Monday in New York City, along with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, the Sex Pistols, Blondie and Miles Davis. The ceremony will be taped and telecast March 21 by VH1.

Capt. Bacardi

Word is that Herb is in NYC early to do some press things related to promoting Re-Whipped.

Yes, that was a joke based on the "Oprah! Call Dave!" campaign that was going on a few years ago when he (Letterman) was trying to wrangle an invite onto her show.

Amazing & Magnificent
Hall of Fame inducts legendary duo from A&M Records

Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss pooled a couple hundred dollars in 1962 and released a song on the A&M label, named for the initials from their last names. Alpert and Moss, both 70, will be inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame tonight as nonperformers.

By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News

March 13, 2006

It is, Jerry Moss will concede, quite a tale.
Two guys start a record company out of their garage. One of the guys, Herb Alpert, goes on to sell millions of his own albums and change music history. The other guy, Moss, does the hands-on work that made A&M Records one of the music industry's most profitable and respected labels, both in selling huge numbers (The Carpenters, Peter Frampton) and delivering great music (The Police and George Harrison, who met his wife Olivia at the A&M offices).

And when it's all over, the lifelong friends sell the company for a half-billion dollars, split the proceeds and walk away.

"It's a great story. It's available for anyone else who wants to try it," Moss says. "We're not brilliant. We're not unbelievable. We're just two people who hit a nerve. I think it can be done again and again and again. More people should try it."

Regardless of Moss' words, voters at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame do consider it both brilliant and unbelievable. Alpert and Moss, both 70, will be inducted into the hall tonight as nonperformers.

It's hard to overstate the influence of A&M, just as it's hard to overstate Alpert's musical impact. His recordings with the Tijuana Brass brought the concept of world music into suburban homes long before the Beatles headed to India.

"What I really love to do is make records. That was really my strength. I was lucky enough to be part of the record that Sam Cooke made. I was watching Sam and learning from him and learned how to produce records with my friend Lou Adler," Alpert says.

Alpert felt "the fascination of how to get a sound that was appealing onto a tape. I tried that with a trumpet, and ultimately, that became the sound of the Tijuana Brass."

"The A&M experience was just so sweet. It was literally an American fable - two guys getting together and creating something that just worked," Moss says. "We were in business together for 28 years without any investment from anybody else. We had our own shop."

"We had the advantage of being the only ones who would make decisions," Alpert says. "I was very fortunate to find a guy who was such a nice human being filled with integrity. He could add and subtract and do things I couldn't do. I've said this before, but we started with a handshake and ended up with a hug."

It was 1962 when they pooled a couple hundred dollars and released an Alpert song under the name "Dore Alpert" on a label they called Carnival. Finding that name was already taken, they took the initials from their last names and linked them. Then began the real work of finding music, signing artists and finding success.

"Herbie is an absolutely superb musician. Being associated with someone like that gave me the confidence, frankly, to deal with other musicians," Moss recalls. "I remember the earliest sessions, when I had some thought of how I wanted the guitar player to do something. He'd say, 'Go tell him.' "

"We'd have these meetings with financial people and my eyes would glaze over. It was getting in the way of my creativity," Alpert says. "I didn't get into the everyday trenches, which made it a lot easier for me and allowed me to be who I am."

"The partnership over the 28 years we had the company afforded him the opportunity to experiment and live his life as an artist and a label honcho and do what he wanted to do. It afforded me the same opportunity," Moss says.

The music could be as poppy as The Captain & Tennille or as hard-edged as the Sex Pistols (a fiasco that lasted only a few days). A&M occupied the old Charlie Chaplin studios and was a great place to just hang out. Besides signing their own acts, A&M distributed albums for smaller labels, including Harrison's Dark Horse.

"We responded to music emotionally, No. 1: How it thrilled us, how it pleased us. We obviously had to find new acts, because we couldn't compete with the major labels on established talent," Moss says.

"These new people had to start off in left field because they had to be different. They had to have something different than what was already on the radio."

"It's not that complicated. If you hear something and it makes you want to hear it again, that's the ticket," Moss says. "You have to be lucky enough to find geniuses, welcome them and get out of their way."

Both are dismayed at how commerce has forced the art out of the music industry. It was part of the reason why they sold A&M in '90.

"There are plenty of guys with ears out there. Unfortunately, they're working for people who are so bottom-line conscious that it's hard for a great artist to be heard these days," Alpert says.

"It's so structured with three or four big companies running the show. They want projections of what they're going to make in three months. That's not the business. It's a little more mysterious than that."

These days Alpert is involved in his sculpture and painting (a major display is featured in L.A. at the moment) as well as his charitable foundation. He also owns a jazz club where he may record a live album with some friends in the near future. Moss is into race horses, in a big way: his horse Giacomo won the Kentucky Derby last year.

The news of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction was a welcome reminder of the pair's past success.

"We tried to create a different kind of culture and I believe we were somewhat successful in that regard," Moss says. "For the Rock Hall of Fame to recognize us in this way is an honor . . . it's a nice cap on it."

"I didn't know how to react," Alpert confesses about hearing the news of his induction.

"I'd been out of the loop for so long in the music industry I didn't know what that meant till I received a call from my wife's gynecologist, who congratulated me. I thought, maybe we're on to something."

The 2006 inductees

The class of 2006 for the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, to be inducted today in New York at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel:

• Black Sabbath

• Blondie

• Miles Davis

• Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Sex Pistols

• Herb Alpert & Jerry Moss

• Watch the ceremony: VH1 will carry an edited version of Monday's events at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Tuesday, 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Wednesday

Mark Brown is the pop music writer.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/music/article/0,2792,DRMN_54_4536176,00.html

Some scenes from tonight's induction ceremonies:

Sting_introduces_Herb.jpg

Herb_and_Sting.jpg

Sting_and_Herb.jpg

Jerry_and_Herb.jpg

Herb_and_Jerry3.jpg

Jerry_and_Herb_2.jpg

Jerry_and_Herb.jpg

Herb_at_R_R_HOF.jpg

Jerry_Moss.jpg

Herb_and_Jerry.jpg

Herb_and_Jerry2.jpg

Herb_and_Jerry_4.jpg

Capt. Bacardi

Mike Blakesley said:
Herb Alpert....LIVE AT VIBRATO. Maybe John P could guest on guitar!

Heck, I'd like to guest as a guest at that event.

I'd better call and make my reservation now!

Mike

I peruse your list from time to time and actually have been a member (about three times but I forgot log ins and whatnot). Enjoy it. As to Herb and the Hall, it's well deserved, of course -- but what about as an artist? And given his various philanthropy, he should seriously be considered for the Kennedy Center Honors IMHO.

As to a live cd, I'd be all over that of course. I saw listed somewhere a DVD from his Second Wind tour when he was playinmg with Jeff Lorber -- anyone know of anything about that?

Personally, I'd do practically anything to see Herb and High Masekela perform together - the two Herb and Hugh cds are my faves, and they introduced me to Hugh, of whom I am a very big fan (next to Herb, of course).

It was nice to see that the "corner" was mentioned on the RR HOF website. Nice story about the boys and at the bottom of the story there was the website, along with another, on the screen!!!

As to Herb and the Hall, it's well deserved, of course -- but what about as an artist?
I think you won't see Herb inducted as an artist because he's not considered rock & roll. He is considered easy listening or at best, "pop."

Of course, anyone who listens to Herb's "Love Potion #9" or "Walk, Don't Run" or any number of others would realize how wrong that generalization is, but that's the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom