Rock Hall Of Fame, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
will herb alpert be releasing the next batch of tijuana brass albums on in april or may.and after herb alpert release's the tijuana brass album's on cd.when will he be starting releasing his solo album's.thanks TOM

John I would suggest you read around the threads for awhile (and check the TJB FAQ) where you will find all of these topics discussed ad nauseum.

Well, long overdue congratulations to Herb & Jerry finally getting credit in the Rock Hall of Fame... Nice how non-Performers who still have the "profile" they do are still entitled to their recognition and ESPECIALLY at a good time such as this! :cheers:

Dave

...Now, how long before I ever get into a "Who's Who/Hall Of Fame"? :whistle: :badteeth:

New Billboard mag has a 1/2 page "congratulations" ad from Shout Factory featuring the full cover photo from RE-WHIPPED.

Must be the whole ad budget - I haven't seen any other ads for this release.

and Johnny Cash and Miles Davis are rock and roll?

actually there are a number of artists that I think would be very deserving who would fit into this amorphous "ez listening" category: The Carpenters (Herb was quoted as saying that their music was not something he would listen to! Imagine that! And he gave them the hook for "Close to You"!), Paul Anka, Neil Diamond...

if Miles Davis is in, then by Golly, I think Herb and Hugh Masekela should be in....Hugh's music of late is certainly eclectic enough

Well, I hope nobody blinked while Herb & Jerry were presented their awards. Cut and paste seemed like the theme. Too bad, I had hoped they would show more of Herb and Jerry. :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

and Johnny Cash and Miles Davis are rock and roll?

It's all a matter of perception. I don't think you can say Herb was as much of an innovator or as influential as either of those guys. Herb was an instrumental pop musician in his heyday. Instrumental pop does not get as much respect as jazz does, that's just the way it is. And Johnny Cash, well, there shouldn't be any need to explain his influence on all of popular music.

actually there are a number of artists that I think would be very deserving who would fit into this amorphous "ez listening" category: The Carpenters...(snip) Paul Anka, Neil Diamond...

I think anything with vocals (outside of a background chorus a la Ray Conniff) would be outside the easy-listening category. (or SHOULD be anyway.) Paul Anka and Neil Diamond and Carpenters are all pop acts, not easy-listening. It is unfair that they get lumped in that category. Sergio Mendes gets put in there a lot too and he's not easy-listening either.

Me either, actually. (or most of that elevator music for that matter!) I will admit, as a kid I used to like the Johnny Mann Singers, for some unexplainable reason. We had two 8-tracks by them.

Who produced that piece of crap I tried to watch tonight? Those jerks ought to be tarred and feathered for giving Herb and Jerry all of -- what -- two minutes?

The show was a joke.

Mike Blakesley said:
Me either, actually. (or most of that elevator music for that matter!) I will admit, as a kid I used to like the Johnny Mann Singers, for some unexplainable reason. We had two 8-tracks by them.

You probably know this, but the Johnny Mann singers were esentially a group of jingle singers who also did a few commercial recordings. Many stations across the States used Johnny Mann jingles.

john taulton said:
will herb alpert be releasing the next batch of tijuana brass albums on in april or may.and after herb alpert release's the tijuana brass album's on cd.when will he be starting releasing his solo album's.thanks TOM

John, Tom or whatever your name is this week... Please please please stop re-posting the same question everywhere, over and over.

taulton.jpg

We've posted the topics here at A&M Corner where we discuss this issue and you'll find the latest developments there. Also, once Shout!Factory makes any announcement regarding upcoming releases, this website is where you'll hear it first.

--Mr Bill
frustrated moderator

I agree, it was a crime that not even Herb and Jerry, but A&M RECORDS was given such sort shrift on the TV broadcast. Such a huge contribution to pop music in general and rock in particular - so much wonderful and groundbreaking music, but all glossed over here....Did you all catch the shot of Lani, though?

Here's a neat little story about Herb going into the Hall of Fame from the New Jersey Star Ledger site (http://www.nj.com/living/ledger/index.ssf?/base/living-0/114343836418140.xml&coll=1):

His trumpet was a horn of plenty

TRUMPETER-BANDLEADER Herb Alpert, who turns 71 on Friday, has sold many millions of records in his career and is the only person to score a No. 1 instrumental hit and a No. 1 vocal hit.

So why was Alpert recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for, as the hall put it, "lifetime achievement in the non-performer category"? Most people only know Alpert as a performer. If he was non-performing all those years, where did all those gold records come from?

The Los Angeles-born Alpert became famous in the '60s as leader of the Tijuana Brass, a mild-pepper Mexicali instrumental group that had a string of hit singles ("The Lonely Bull," "Taste of Honey" and "What Now My Love," among them), gold albums and Grammy wins. At the height of their popularity, Alpert & the Tijuana Brass had five albums in the Top 20 at the same time, a feat that got them into the Guinness Book of World Records.

As well, Alpert went to No. 1 in 1968 with a solo vocal recording of Burt Bacharach and Hal David's plaintive "This Guy's In Love With You." Nine years later, he hit No. 1 with the smooth-jazz instrumental "Rise."

However, Alpert was never considered rock 'n' rollish. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, instead, gives him props as co-founder, with fellow inductee Jerry Moss, of A&M Records. (Alpert is the "A," Moss the "M.")

Between 1962 and 1989, A&M was among the savviest and most lucrative of independent labels, with a roster that encompassed rock (the Police, Procol Harum, Joe Cocker, Human League, Peter Frampton, Free, Styx, Joe Jackson), R&B (Billy Preston, Janet Jackson) and pop (Tijuana Brass, Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66, Chris Montez, the Carpenters).

On the heels of Alpert's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Tijuana Brass' best-known album got an updated hip-hop treatment with the release last week of "Whipped Cream & Other Delights Rewhipped."

The original 1965 release sold tons, with major help from the album's cover, which showed a strikingly seductive young woman wearing what looks like a whipped-cream gown.

(Actually, it was shaving cream and a white blanket. The model, Seattle-born Dolores Erickson, was three months pregnant at the time.)

Run of DeMille

You have to do some mighty squinting to spot Herb Alpert in the 1956 film "The Ten Commandments," but he's there, as a tribal drummer, in one of his few screen roles back in the days when he had ambitions to be an actor.

"The Ten Commandments" had ambitions, too, nearly four hours' worth, with producer-director Cecil B. DeMille parting the Red Sea to remake his 1923 silent version of the biblical epic.

A spare-no-expense account of the Old Testament Book of Exodus, the film starred Charlton Heston as let-my-people-go Jewish patriarch Moses. Though Heston was no ingenue -- he had led the cast of DeMille's 1952 circus blockbuster "The Greatest Show on Earth," which won a best-picture Oscar -- "The Ten Commandments" solidified his image as a purveyor of iconic roles.

The rest of the cast of thousands included Yul Brynner, Edward G. Robinson, Anne Baxter, a pre-"Munsters" Yvonne De Carlo, Vincent Price, Cedric Hardwicke, John Carradine, Debra Paget and John Derek, who would later marry a young lovely named Mary Cathleen Collins and remake her as Bo Derek.

"The Ten Commandments" became 1956's biggest money-maker, but the only Oscar it could buy was for special effects. Best picture went to another spectacular, "Around the World in 80 Days." Best actor went to Brynner, who won for "The King and I." Heston may have defied Pharaoh, but he wasn't even nominated. Nor was DeMille.

Last week, Paramount released "The Ten Commandments (50th Anniversary Collection)," which includes both the 1956 and 1923 DeMille productions.

Carbon Dating

Herb Alpert never appeared on "The Dating Game," but his music was a regular guest.

Created by TV wild man Chuck Barris, the game show debuted in December 1965. With its bachelors and bachelorettes and flower-power decor, the show needed to appeal, at least in part, to a younger demographic. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass were at the zenith of their selling power, so it made sense that several of their songs were used as instrumental themes.

The two most familiar were "Whipped Cream," the title song of "Whipped Cream and Other Delights," and "Spanish Flea." The former had been written by New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint; the latter by Julius Wechter, the marimba-playing leader of the Baja Marimba Band, an act produced by Alpert on his A&M label.

"Spanish Flea," heard on the Tijuana Brass' 1966 album "Going Places," was parodied by Allan Sherman on his 1967 album "Togetherness." Some 30 years later, the song was sung, as "Little Spanish Flea," by Homer Simpson on an episode of "The Simpsons."

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom