• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Rosinha and Brasil '77

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
I may have posted about this a long time ago, but I was immediately struck by something this morning, listening again to Rosinha da Valenca's excellent Um Violao Em Primeiro Plano after many years. No fewer than three songs (much) later done by Sergio and Brasil '77 are on her album: Asa Branca and Zanzibar, of course from the first B77 outing, Pais Tropical, and Marinheiro, from Vintage '74. In another synchronicity, both Rosinha and Sergio chose Marinheiro to end Side 1 of the original LP versions of these releases.

I am going to have to seek out some of Rosinha da Valenca's work. Thanks!

She was a magnificent guitarist, as is obvious from her Brasil '65 sides.

I just realized, though, I shouldn't have said Sergio covered the tunes "(much) later" above--I was thinking this was one of her mid-1960's albums, but it in fact came out in 1971, probably around the same time as Pais Tropical.

The date is irrelevant. :wink: The best part is that there's some good music in store, and I'm anxious to hear it. That Brasil '65 era is one of my favorites, and I always liked the guitar on those sides.

I just located the album--that is quite a version of "Zanzibar" on there! Same for "Summertime." I'm surprised we never heard more from Rosinha over the years. One of those obscurities I'd probably never find in our local used shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom