• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Seals and Crofts catalog reissued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
A glaring gap in the nation's CD catalog has been filled...the entire catalog of Seals and Crofts has been reissued by Wounded Bird Records. (Two albums, SUMMER BREEZE and GREATEST HITS, continue to be available on Warner Bros. Records.)

There is a slight A&M connection with S&C...first of all, at least one or two of their albums were recorded at A&M Studios -- and of course, Jim Seals is the brother of Dan Seals, who was half of England Dan and John Ford Coley, who had two albums on A&M.

For a band with as many hits as they had, it's surprising so much of their catalog has been MIA for so long.

List of albums:
Seals and Crofts
Down Home
Year of Sunday
Summer Breeze (Warner Bros.)
Diamond Girl
I'll Play For You
Greatest Hits (Warner Bros.)
Unborn Child
Get Closer
Sudan Village (Live album)
Takin' It Easy
The Longest Road
One On One (soundtrack)

Wounded bird is right up there with Hip-O Select and Rhino with the exception being: no major label relationship. They've been picking up several artists with both A&M and I.R.S. connections. I check their site at least once a month...

www.woundedbird.com

--Mr. Bill

I made a slight goof...the DIAMOND GIRL and GET CLOSER albums are on the Rhino Flashback label, and GREATEST HITS is on Rhino proper.

I was pretty much a S&C fan in my day, too! 'Specially songs like "Summer Breeze" and "Diamond Girl"...

Glad to see that their Catalog is finally receiving some "Reissued Attention"...!!!

Dave

I got four of these reissues the other day.

It's kind of weird...they still say "manufactured by Rhino" on them, yet they're on the Wounded Bird label.

Packaging is basic but complete...full credits, but no liner notes.

To me, an opportunity was missed with the SUDAN VILLAGE album. That's a live record, but contains no S&C hits. The full tape of the concert probably still exists....they should have done an expanded version. On the other hand, the original was not one of the group's better sellers, and expanding it might not have helped.

On a side note: I ordered these direct from Collectors Choice because our warehouse was out of them for 2 weeks. Service was quick, but every one of the four jewel boxes was cracked across the front.

Wounded Bird released, among other artists, two CDs by Vince Guaraldi that are worth picking up. One is "The Eclectic Vince Guaraldi" which features some nifty electric harpsichord work.

Yes, this is a shameless plug, but Vince is one of my favorites. I highly recommend the CD "Oaxaca," a compilation of previously unissued '70s work where he uses Hammond organ, electric piano and clavinet. There's a Carpenters cover or two in there as well. Hard-hitting cover of the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" too.

Mike Blakesley said:
To me, an opportunity was missed with the SUDAN VILLAGE album. That's a live record, but contains no S&C hits. The full tape of the concert probably still exists....they should have done an expanded version.

I had inquired at Jean-Luc Ponty's site about the same thing, actually: his album "Live" was reissued on Wounded Bird, and there was more than enough room to include at least another album's worth of music. WB, though, just releases whatever tape the record labels decide to send them, so quality is all over the map on these, and it'd be rare to get bonus tracks on these too. In JLP's case, they didn't know if the original tapes from the concerts even existed anymore, so that is sometimes a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom