September 2023 In Memoriam

Though I have a couple of Jimmy Buffett singles around here ("Come Monday" was always a favorite), I was never quite caught up in the cult around him. We have a neighbor who does his exercising by riding his bike around the neighborhood and is ALWAYS listening to Jimmy Buffett while riding. And any time there's karaoke going on, you can count on him to get up and sing one of Jimmy's songs.

It still is quite a shock that the guy was as young as he was. Ironic that the closest I ever got to eating in a "Margaritaville" was on Maui in old Lahaina, but we ended up in Bubba Gump's instead.

Sad news. 3 rock stars in 4 days. All artists we sold huge amounts albums for during their heydays. Jimmy Buffett has most of the top 20 albums and singles on iTunes today. Rightly so. 🥺

Back in my earliest internet days, I happened to find an email address for Gary Wright. So I sent him a fan note and told him that a concert of his I’d seen in Billings MT was one of my favorites. (Which it was, he was riding high then and was awesome.)

To my surprise he wrote back and mentioned that he remembered the Billings concert because it had been his first trip to Montana and he’d really enjoyed himself traveling around the area.

David Clayton-Thomas (former Blood, Sweat & Tears vocalist) did the remake of Gary Wright 1970 "Sing A Song" (from the 1972 first solo) Song went to # 112 in April of 1972 on Billboard Bubbling Under The Hot 100 Charts.

Sad news. 3 rock stars in 4 days. All artists we sold huge amounts albums for during their heydays. Jimmy Buffett has most of the top 20 albums and singles on iTunes today. Rightly so. 🥺

Very sad and surreal to have all three of them pass away in such a brief time span (especially considering how young Harwell was in comparison). I'm a fan of Buffett, Wright, and Smash Mouth alike (and have quite a few records by each), so it was a pretty depressing weekend. I'm sure I'll be listening to all three quite a bit this week.

Wright, of course, has a direct connection to A&M via both his first two solo albums and as the former songwriter and co-lead-vocalist for Spooky Tooth. While his only solo hits to crack the Top 40 ("Dream Weaver," "Love Is Alive," and "Really Wanna Know You" all hailed from his tenure at Warner Brothers, the last of them (and my favorite of the three) actually has an A&M connection, anyway, since it was co-written by the very underrated then-A&M artist Ali Thomson of "Take a Little Rhythm" fame:

Very sad and surreal to have all three of them pass away in such a brief time span (especially considering how young Harwell was in comparison). I'm a fan of Buffett, Wright, and Smash Mouth alike (and have quite a few records by each), so it was a pretty depressing weekend. I'm sure I'll be listening to all three quite a bit this week.

Wright, of course, has a direct connection to A&M via both his first two solo albums and as the former songwriter and co-lead-vocalist for Spooky Tooth. While his only solo hits to crack the Top 40 ("Dream Weaver," "Love Is Alive," and "Really Wanna Know You" all hailed from his tenure at Warner Brothers, the last of them (and my favorite of the three) actually has an A&M connection, anyway, since it was co-written by the very underrated then-A&M artist Ali Thomson of "Take a Little Rhythm" fame:

I never made the connection between Gary Wright and Spooky Tooth until after I had heard and bought the Dreamweaver album. I was listening to a compilation cd this past weekend and I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Though I have a couple of Jimmy Buffett singles around here ("Come Monday" was always a favorite), I was never quite caught up in the cult around him. We have a neighbor who does his exercising by riding his bike around the neighborhood and is ALWAYS listening to Jimmy Buffett while riding. And any time there's karaoke going on, you can count on him to get up and sing one of Jimmy's songs.

It still is quite a shock that the guy was as young as he was. Ironic that the closest I ever got to eating in a "Margaritaville" was on Maui in old Lahaina, but we ended up in Bubba Gump's instead.
I never got caught up in the Jimmy Buffet craze. I liked some of his songs (Come Monday is my favorite) but not enough to buy them.

British guitarist Brendan Croker has died at 70 years old. Brendan & former Dire Straits Mark Knopfler formed The Notting Hillbillies & had released the 1990 CD "Missing...Presumed Having A Good Time" (with 2 more members) which was their only album. Brendan Croker - Wikipedia

There was a compilation of Gary Wright's music released on A&M not too long after "Dream Weaver" hit the charts. I don't remember the title, and I'm not sure if it just contained his solo stuff or they included Spooky Tooth tunes, but I remember liking it.

Back
Top Bottom