• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sergio at the IMAC, NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinman37

I am a long time Sergio Mendes fan and I finally got to see him live at the IMAC theatre in Huntington, NY. After the show, he autographed my Brazil88 album and commented that it was the only album he really wanted a copy of. I am so excited because I just won the bid on e-bay of an unopened copy of that album and I am going to send it off to Sergio. I have also copied my album on CD and will include this for him too.

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats for getting to meet Sergio and getting his autograph. That's got to be a thrill.

Brasil '88 has been released in Brazil by BMG/RCA on CD. It's listed on most of the popular online ordering sites like Amazon.com with a hefty import price of around $30. It's one of Sergio's better non-A&M efforts.

Harry
...watching another round of Winter weather (is it Spring yet?), online...

I would like to add that I think the show was great! They opened up with Pretty World and I'm telling you that it brought me right back to 1966. (Although I was only 9 in 66 and really didn't know Sergio back then) The singers were so smooth and the band was very tight. Sergio played great and his other keyboard player covered many orchastral sounds.

After the show I was disapointed that he didn't come out for autographs but I hung around and eventually he did come out. I got him to autograph my Brazil 88 album and spoke to him for a few minutes. He is very softspoken and very kind.

I also went outside to see if his guys would be loading up and I got to meet and talk to the drummer, guitar player and the sound guy. Then a taxi pulled up and Sergio, his wife and the other singer got in the car and went off to a restraunt. I did hear them asking directions to the restraunt and also the name and was very tempted to go there for dinner to
see if I could hang out more but I thought it be best to give him his privacy. Then a van pulled up to take the muscians back to the hotel.

I am a new member here and I'm so glad that I found this site.

Absolutely! I was amazed how similar the stage version of Pretty World was to the recorded version -- Sergio and Bill Brendle make an amazing pair on keyboards.

Sergio is, indeed, soft spoken. He was so nice at the Blue Note. I was outside of his dressing room (waiting for the restroom) talking with him before the show. He was standing there with his shirt untucked when he looked up and realized a Brazilian TV crew was down the hall. With a quick "Excuse me!" he slammed the door. When I came out of the restroom, Jessica Taylor, one of his vocalists, was looking for me. "Were you just talking with Sergio?" she asked. "Yes," I said. "But I think the film crew surprised him." She laughed and said, "They did, and Sergio felt bad about slamming the door in your face. He's looking for you." About that time, he came out of the dressing room, grabbed me, pulled me inside and said, "I'm so sorry about that...I didn't want to be on camera with my shirt untucked...kind of indiscreet, if you know what I mean?" He really felt bad. It was no big deal -- point is, he really cares about his fans. Very humble man.

Jussein Jiffry, Sergio's bassist, is just one of the nicest guys there is. Matter of fact, his entire band is very nice, approachable. They show genuine interest in their fans (and put on one hell of a great show!)

You're not alone -- I've not been to one Mendes performance that hasn't sold out. He's known for putting on one heck of a great show. If it's entertainment you want, Sergio will provide it in droves!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut" :D

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know what Sergio's touring plans are for this new year ? I have to see him, particularly if he is opening his concerts with Pretty World, my favorite song from them.

... I had a chance to see them this past October, but due to a fall out with a friend, I pulled out of it ( Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! ). I lost out due to a woman. Now, not only is the girl gone and out of my life, but I also lost out on seeing this incredible band due to wrapping myself in some stupid martyr flag ... Ugh, I hate myself!

SoCalfan :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom