sergiomendestimeless.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trevor said:
Funny that Harry mentions "North on South St" wasn't that done by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis who were at the time helping Janet Jackson. And now we have Justin on this CD. Is this an omen???

No, that was Keep Your Eye On Me. North On South Street was essentially a "Herb Alpert/Eddie Del Barrio/Greg Smtih" Production...

--Mr Bill

Where in the world will the record stores file this one!?

A bigger question is, will stores even have it? The company we buy CDs from doesn't even list it yet -- and they are usually at least a couple of months ahead on releases. Concord being a small company may have something to do with it -- Herb's Shout!Factory titles typically didn't show up until a week or two before release.

I think this is an area where the cover may hurt. Dorky store employees may look at the 1960s-era image of Sergio and put it in the e-z-jazz section...or unknowing buyers may think it's an old album repackaged and not order it at all. Hopefully, the company will do some marketing that it's a Black-Eyed Peas-related album and a sticker will be attached to that effect. And (like Herb) they need to get Sergio and the Peas on LETTERMAN and LENO.

Isn't this going to be sold at Starbuck's? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it was. Lord knows that should mean huge sales up in this neck of the woods. :)

It is -- but according to a Billboard article it's supposedly going to be available in real music stores too.

they need to get Sergio and the Peas on LETTERMAN and LENO.

Well it looks like the second part of this is going to happen. Glad they took my advice! (Yo HERB, are you listening? Re-whip it on late-night TV, man!)

And you KNOW there are going to be videos.
And who knows what they will look like...could be REALLY interesting! :badteeth:

Does anyone remember the "Indiado" video? I found it on gemm.com as part of a complitation / promo for "Brasileiro".

It had a mystery woman lip-synching to Gracinha's singing. Does anyone know who she was?

Mike Blakesley said:
Where in the world will the record stores file this one!?

A bigger question is, will stores even have it? The company we buy CDs from doesn't even list it yet -- and they are usually at least a couple of months ahead on releases. Concord being a small company may have something to do with it -- Herb's Shout!Factory titles typically didn't show up until a week or two before release.

Amazon has Timeless listed, but not Rewhipped. The Shout product seems to hit Amazon about a month before release.

"Yes, Yes Y'All" seems to be the song they are promoting. The song runs at 5:09 (which doesn't seem very radio friendly, but...). I really like it! You hear the sergio chords on accoustic piano with a moment or two of an older sounding electric piano, but just for effect. The main part is accoustic. It has a "Massive Attack" sound to it. It's not abrasive rap.

The overall feeling that I get from listening to the various samples is that the artists are into it. And that the artists of today appreciate what Sergio has done over the years. And they all seem to be toasting him. And this is how they do it.

The Justin Timberlake song reminds me of Robbie William's "Millenium". Robbie took the counter-melody of Nancy Sinatra's "You Only Live Twice", and made it into a #1 song in the UK.

Will.i.am is doing for "Timeless" what "Vai Quem Vem" and Carlinhos Brown did for "Brasileiro".

"Does anyone remember the "Indiado" video? I found it on gemm.com as part of a complitation / promo for "Brasileiro".

It had a mystery woman lip-synching to Gracinha's singing. Does anyone know who she was?"

Trevor, I had no idea there was even a video for "Indiado"!
The last Sergio video I remember was one for "Olympia" which featured quick shots of Joe Pizzulo and Sergio and lots of dramatically lit, slo-mo footage of Olympic runners, javelin throwers, divers etc. Shows you how often * I * watch MTV or VH-1.

Appearantly, lots of Sergio has been "sampled" over the years: "For What It's Worth" has supposely been heavily cribbed from, and a while ago, someone mentioned that a popular song (don't know what it was or who did it) cribbed from both the B'66 and Joni Mitchell's recordings of "Chelsea Morning". Anybody know any others?

Personally, I always thought Sergio's opening piano riff from "Pretty World" would be an obvious candidate for "sampling". And weren't Lani & Karen rapping in "Ye-Me-Le"? :)

Okay everybody! You are all ranting and raving about this new website but YET NOONE has provided a link to the website. I typed it in and it's not coming on. So can somebody at least provide a link for sergio mendes timeless.com and stop leaving me in the dark! THANK YOU !

THANK U VERY MUCH MR. BIll! :)

However, I did type the exact address in & it keeps on coming up as error. So what I did was a GOOGLE search and I had finally found the website.But I clicked on the link and it came up once again as error. So I clicked on cache and I finally was able to access the website. AMEN!

I have listened to to samples & I LOVE this new cd!I have no disapointments whatsoever!However, I do recall SOMEBODY from this forum claiming that Gracinha would be singing lead vocals on most of the songs from TIMELESS. SORRY DUDE! This is NOT THE CASE and I am irritated about Gracinha not singing as much as she usually does. :mad:

When I listen to Yes'all, it sounds like its sampling "I'm A Man" by THE SPENCER DAVIS GROUP!

Yes, Courtnee, it's the same melody, but I don't think that it's been sampled outright...

Brasil6699: interesting comparison with the Justin Timberlake song "Loose Ends" and Robbie Williams' "Millenium".

But you also said that: "Will.i.am is doing for "Timeless" what "Vai Quem Vem" and Carlinhos Brown did for "Brasileiro"." I kind of disagree, I think Sergio discovered Carlinhos Brown and "Vai Quem Vem" and helped them in their career with Brasileiro. But I understand what you are trying to say, I think. Something like: How the outside artists influence the sound that Sergio is creating for a record. In the 60s, it was the orchestration (for example, on a much smaller scale).

"However, I do recall SOMEBODY from this forum claiming that Gracinha would be singing lead vocals on most of the songs from TIMELESS. SORRY DUDE! This is NOT THE CASE and I am irritated about Gracinha not singing as much as she usually does."

Courtnee, that was me - I was just reporting what Gracinha told me! And yeah, I'm hoping that there is more Gracinha on the CD that clips don't hint at (but I kinda doubt it). I think we ALL want more G.L. and a bit less W.I.A.

That said...while I don't warm to all of the CD (I do NOT care for Jill Scott's "Let Me" AT ALL)....I'm more enthusiastic after several listens (Certainly much more than my initial post on this thread) and the songs that feature a heavy dose of B'66 'flava' I like a LOT. "Mas Que Nada" sounds VERY fresh, and "Yes, Yes, Y'All" and the lovely title track have grown on me. I'm bemused by "That Heat" (dying to hear what else happens on that track)...but "The Frog" is FIERCE. (Miss Lani on point...Miss Janis on point...). It's my current favorite and it in particular SCREAMS for a club remix.

You know, a few years ago, I was wondering why Sergio didn't cash in on the "Lounge Music" vogue...and now I'm glad he didn't. That would have been fun, but it might have proven an artistic dead end. TIMELESS is a far bolder move, and more power to Sergio for going this route of "Hip-hop mixed in with Samba". It's probably Sergio's most daring album since PRIMAL ROOTS.

I have a hunch this album will make "Never Gonna Let You Go" a distant memory.

If those of you who are able to access not just the sound samples, but the full length tracks that they play as background music on the site....I've heard "Yes yes" and "Mas Que Nada" all the way through, and it seems (I was also told this by someone who's heard the whole thing) that several of the tracks have a form like "Mas Que Nada" - which is, basicially, groove, rap, rap, (c)rap, :) and then 30-60 seconds where Gracinha actually gets to sing whole sections without interruption.......

Three of the tracks actually have full-length samples online: the two that A&M Guy mentioned, and "The Frog". I managed to use my sound editor to save them to a WAV file, just to listen to them easier (and save Sergio some bandwidth). The rest are just short samples, probably about a minute long.

Mike Blakesley said:
I did type the exact address in & it keeps on coming up as error
Too many Black Eyed Peas fans overloading the site maybe? (Not that that's bad.)

Hey Mike B.! I was probably having the problem accessing the site due to browser stubborness.I can't say I am a Black Eyed Peas fan either.

Interesting website, sergiomendestimeless.com. Unfortunately the use of 1970s refrigerator colors is not to my taste. And someone desperately needs to proofread that thing... I mean, "Lain Hall"? C'mon, now.

I'll defer judgment on the music for a bit. This album might be a real gift to iTunes... that way I can buy only the tracks that have a molecule of "real Sergio" in them. But I'll give the samples a good listen first and try not to be an intolerant old fogey (who started avidly listening to Sergio while still of single-digit age).

Still, I ceased buying Sergio's records for a reason: his sound, to me, became un-intimate, un-cool and un-swinging, and festooned with jarring synthesizers and huge bloomin' orchestrations... and, looking back, "Lain"'s voice and phrasing were a big part of the attraction for me. Let's put it this way: looking back at the first B'66 group, I'm just amazed at the engrossing, irresistable sound that came out of such a small, tight group of people. I continue to hope that with at least a few tracks Sergio has bottled some of that magic again for us.

Not to go too off-topic, but I just heard Kevin Federlaine's new "Brazilian" rap single "PopoZao".

It makes TIMELESS seem like STILLNESS.

I just got an email from CD Japan stating that the release date for Sergio Mendes' TIMELESS in Japan has been pushed back from Jaunary 18th to January 28th, making it just 2 and a half weeks ahead of the US release date.

Harry

Thanks, Harry - I can deal with waiting another ten days.
Any news about what the Japan-only bonus track is? :rolleyes:

MasterLcZ said:
Thanks, Harry - I can deal with waiting another ten days.
Any news about what the Japan-only bonus track is? :rolleyes:

It's Sergio with Kevin Federline.

(That's a JOKE, don't freak....). :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom