• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Sherman Oaks December 1982

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Hello everyone

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this? I know it was Karen's last public performance at her godchildren's school in Sherman Oaks, but:

1. What did she sing? Christmas songs?
2. Who accompanied her (as Richard wasn't there), or did she sing to a backing tape
3. I also wonder if it was an amplified performance i.e. through a PA system, or just Karen singing without a mic to the children (what would you give to have been there to hear her do that?!)

Harry can you fill in the blanks on this one?

Stephen

Oh and how come there weren't any pictures? I find it hard to believe that if a world famous superstar came to your schoool, NOBODY would have taken a single snap of her!!

A friend of mine spoke with someone at the school (the principal, I believe) and it turns out it was not so much a performance as it was a visit to the kids' school... supposedly she was just in a classroom and sang along to a vinyl copy of CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT. I wish I could remember more details...

Randy

Even if it was just a visit instead of a performance I would still want to be there to see it :!:

I would love to be in a room with Karen or Richard jus to talk to them.

Andrew
...wishing I knew Karen...

Sorta makes sense that if it was just a classroom performance there may not have been any photos taken. I always imagined it being in a lunchroom cafeteria type setting but that is only my imagination running, as I also had no idea what this visit was really all about.

But even so it would seem like parents would of had there camera's already for there kids & would have seemed natural to ask Karen if she would take a picture with the parent or child. But maybe they had a rule no photos? Sure would be cool to see a photo from that time or even read more about what really happen, musically.

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback - interesting one about the Principle!

I'd give my right arm to have been there still! (well maybe not my whole arm, just a finger or two!)

Stephen

Randy is close to recollections from a few other Carpenters sources -understand School visit was very informal -really for her Godchildren and nothing was planned in advance :o

Karen arrived, met up with children and sang some verses to Carpenters Christmas songs.One source suggested Karen may have sung some Christmas carols -not featured on the 1978 release -favourites of Karen's and Godchildren :?:

Photo -wise probably few cameras at the School and perhaps Karen requested no pictures on this occasion -I doubt whether there were many or any parents / visitors present ....perhaps there is one photo in the School year file or with Godchildren and these are kept for personal use only :?:

There is the Grammy photo from January 1983 as an official photo finale :sad:

Peter

Hi

Interesting comments - PJ do you (or anyone else) know where to find that infamous last Grammy award photo???

I know that it's only a group shot of K&R with other award winners but priceless nonetheless :cry:

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom