• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Simon and Garfunkel live in Cologne!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

I just read the announcement, that Simon and Garfunkel will perform in Cologne on the 20th of July!! Their show will also feature a special appearance by the Everly Brothers!

This is great news for me. Ever since I watched their CONCERT IN CENTRAL PARK back in 1981 on German television, I wanted to see them perform together. Last year Art Garfunkel performed live in Bonn. It was a fine show, but to see them perform together will ofcourse be much better.

Bruno :) :)

You're in for a treat!!! I went to see them back in December on the US leg of their reunion tour, and it's easily my favorite of all the concerts I've ever been to. Pretty incredible experience. :D

The tickets here in the U.S. were expensive, hard to get, and a must-buy for anyone who really likes their music. I probably would have gone if they were playing a smaller venue and not a basketball stadium. It's definitely worth going--it WILL be a treat! :)

I just checked the prices: 65 Euro to 180 Euro! My goodness.....

But anyway: I will go to this concert.

The duo is playing the KÖLNARENA in Cologne. This is a very big hall, where I already watched Elton John and Neil Diamond perform.
Simon and Garfunkel will also give a concert in Munich one week later.

Bruno

Wow! Although, converted to US dollars, that is close to what they charged when they came to Detroit. But here, we have a ticket service called Ticketmaster that also adds a large fee onto the ticket purchase. :shake:

Holy Cow! And here in Japan I can see Kiss for what amounts to $100 or Cyndi Lauper for $80! Sheesh!

Speaking of concerts here's a weird one... Some of us here ended up on that "Aja Kim" email list regarding her performaces, recordings, gigs etc. Well, I never "un-subscribed" and still get them. One of the last ones I got was for her current act, an all-female Iron Maiden tribute band called -- what else? -- Iron Maidens... Well guess who's playing here in Japan on base in about four weeks? Iron Maidens!!! Weird. I may go just to meet this person or shoot some pics for her and her website...

--Mr Bill

As part of Simon & Garfunkel European Tour -UK concerts have been confirmed for London & Manchester :)

Have seen superb solo concerts by S&G individually .....so together will be the icing on the cake :wink:

Peter

Bruno, I saw them in concert back in Dec last year, was the highlight of my year end. It was awesome, they sounded great & at my show, Art's mother was on the front row so it was a really great show. I got floor seats about half way back & paid about $140.00 for 1 ticket. :shock: But I kept justifying it by saying well Art gets 70.00 & Simon gets 70.00 :tongue: The Everly Brothers were great, some have said they didn't sound good but I thought they were pretty decent. The thing that pissed me off was how when the Everly Brothers came on about 45 minutes into the show, the audience started to get up & either go to the bathroom or get food & drinks. :shock: I couldn't believe it. I thought that was really rude. I mean the money I spent, I wasn't moving from my seat for the whole show. :D

I figured it was a once in a lifetime chance & couldn't let it go by me. I have no regrets spending the cash. I probably would have paid more money had I been able to get closer seats but I went online the minute they went on sale & I got half way back, bummer...but it was great show.

Timing and high prices forced us to be unable to see the Simon & Garfunkel concert in Philly last year, but it turns out that they'll be back this year (next month in fact), and we'll finally be seeing them. Though the prices aren't much better this year, we did find some middle-range tickets that will do just fine.

Too bad about people being rude and getting up during the Every Brothers, but there seem to be rude people everywhere these days. We're just as eager to see the Everly Brothers as we are S&G.

I like your logic about breaking the price of ticket down per performer. With ours working out to about the same price as yours, we can rationalize $35 for Don Everly, $35 for Phil Everly, $35 for Art Garfunkel, and $35 for Paul Simon. Having them all together is just icing on the cake...

Harry
...anticipating two big summer concerts this year, Simon & Garfunkel in Philly and The Corrs in Boston, online...

I recall the '81 tour as if it was yesterday...a sensational concert...we saw them at the Concord Pavillion. My Dad's boss at Nordstrom was called away to the East Coast on business. He gave the tickets to Dad. Dad gave the tickets to me and my girlfriend, Karen.

As a humorous aside, I remember Paul stopping about five beats in "Feeling Groovy". He looked at the audience and deadpanned, "Hey! It bought the shirts on our backs!!" A funny moment.

It reminds me of Herb during the Bullish tour. He made the same comment as the band broke into "Tijuana Taxi" and just about brought the house down...also at the Concord Pavillion...Sergio Mendes & Brasil '88 opened the show.

Jon

I went to the nearest ticket store today, and guess what they told me? The concert is already sold out, only two weeks after it was announced in the press!! :shock:

I will try and find tickets somewhere else, but I'm not to optimistic. Simon and Garfunkel will also perform in London, in Paris and in Amsterdam. What a schedule! Perhaps, if I don't get tickets for the two German concerts, I should travel abroad.....

Bruno :sad:

Bruno, you might want to try & still go to the show & if your not pressed for cash, you might find some folks there selling tickets outside. They had a pre-recorded message that kept running while waiting outside in line that said, if you have a camera/video please return it to your vehicle now. etc...

My concert was also sold out, I think it sold out like hours after the tickets went on sale, anyway, as I was walking from the parking lot to get to the arena I was approached by 2 people asking me if I needed an extra ticket. (These are probably tickets that people couldn't sell off ebay or something) I was tempted to ask how much but I didn't.

The security to get into this arena was very very strick, they were checking people's bags which took me almost 1 hour to get inside. Luckely I left early so I wasn't late.

About 2 weeks after the concert, I saw someone on ebay selling a DVD copy of the concert, not the exact one I saw but it is very very similar. I bought it even though it was a bootleg cause I wanted it so bad for the memories since it was such a great concert. I still wonder how that person got there video camera in that areana. But I also remember there were camera set up by the front stage & also about half way back in a corded off area, so I don't know what was going on. The bootleg I got was decent, picture is great, close shots but the audio is kinda poor as the arena was big.

If they ever release this "Old Friends" Tour on DVD I will surely buy it, as it was a terrific concert & seeing them sing along with the Everly Brothers was also really cool. I don't know why it's taking them so long to come out with a DVD.

Let us know if you get the chance to go & also harry after you get back from your show, curious to see how you like it.

How can music lovers stand up / walk out on Everley Bros :confused:

Really looking forward to both S&G and Everley's performing all their great songs :)

Peter

I'm attending the July 2nd event in Fresno, thanks to my brother-in-law, a local DJ who is covering the show...turns out my sister has little or no interest in seeing Simon & Garfunkel, so I'm going in her place.

He called through while I was on hold, listening to one of those endless loops about 'upcoming' concerts and dates...blech!! Later, when I discovered the cheapest ticket was $315.00, I jumped for joy.

I'm afraid, had they quoted this price into the phone, the representative would have been treated to the ultimate insult: a dial tone! :angel:

Jon

We're heading out within the hour to see Simon & Garfunkel here in Philly. We're looking forward to it.

Harry
...getting ready to go, online...

I'd loved to have gone, but the venue they appeared at was an arena, and the price just didn't fit my budget. You never know--this could be the last time they ever tour. (Then again, I swore this past spring that I'd make it a point to see Ray Charles, and now... :shake: )

The Simon & Garfunkel concert in Philadelphia last night was overall excellent. Though Artie's voice sounded a little strained on a few numbers, the duo blended well just as they were always meant to. Some voices just fit naturally together: Lennon and McCartney; Simon & Garfunkel.

Truly a highlight was the Everly Brothers appearance. It was woven so naturally into the fabric of the concert. A thirtd of the way through the evening, Paul introduces the song that was the first recorded by he and Art back when the called themselves Tom and Jerry. Just a couple of school chums getting together to make a record. They sang a verse of the rather simple tune and the Paul stops and explains: "Well we always wanted to be the Everly Brothers." This of course led to the appearnce of Don and Phil Everly who proceeded to delight the audience with about four of their signature tunes. Then Paul and Art joined them for one final song, "Bye Bye Love", and the concert continued. Much nicer than the typical warm-up act, long break, main concert setup that usually occurs.

For the record, while a few fans got up during the Everly Brothers appearance, it wasn't quite as bad as it could be.

The concert continued to the close-to-sellout crowd for about a total of two hours, including two encores. A great evening of music. Those who have the opportunity to see this tour owe it to themselves to splurge.

The remainder of their itinerary:

Pollstar said:
Mon 06/14/04 Baltimore, MD 1st Mariner Arena
Wed 06/16/04 Pittsburgh, PA Mellon Arena
Thu 06/17/04 Buffalo, NY HSBC Arena
Sat 06/19/04 Grand Rapids, MI Van Andel Arena
Sun 06/20/04 Cincinnati, OH U.S. Bank Arena
Tue 06/22/04 Nashville, TN Gaylord Entertainment Center
Wed 06/23/04 Indianapolis, IN Conseco Fieldhouse
Fri 06/25/04 Milwaukee, WI Bradley Center
Sat 06/26/04 Saint Louis, MO Savvis Center
Sun 06/27/04 Omaha, NE Qwest Center Omaha
Tue 06/29/04 Salt Lake City, UT Delta Center
Thu 07/01/04 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl
Fri 07/02/04 Fresno, CA Save Mart Center
Sat 07/03/04 Las Vegas, NV MGM Grand Garden Arena
Tue 07/06/04 Austin, TX Frank Erwin Center
Wed 07/07/04 Houston, TX Toyota Center
Thu 07/08/04 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center
Wed 07/14/04 Manchester, UK Manchester Evening News Arena
Thu 07/15/04 London, UK Hyde Park
Sat 07/17/04 Dublin, IRE RDS Arena
Mon 07/19/04 Paris, FRA Palais Omnisports
Tue 07/20/04 Cologne, GER Cologne Arena
Wed 07/21/04 Amsterdam, NET Amsterdam Arena
Fri 07/23/04 Copenhagen, DEN Parken Stadium
Sat 07/24/04 Oslo, NOR Oslo Spektrum
Sun 07/25/04 Stockholm, SWE Stockholm Globe Arena
Wed 07/28/04 Munich, GER Olympic Stadium
Thu 07/29/04 Basel, SWI St. Jakob Stadium
Sat 07/31/04 Rome, ITA Colosseum

Harry
...with his little concert review, online...

Glad to hear you had a good time. I'l also glad I spent the money for this one. Did they film your concert? Could you by chance see any panavision cams set up? They filmed mine & I heard they filmed others too. I also think that a official DVD will probably be released in the future.

I have a bootleg DVD from my concert, which is cool.

Yes, they had a film crew catching it all - and it was all put onto the big screens for those with far-away views. I'm sure that once the tour is over, the powers that be at Sony/Columbia will get it all edited into a nice DVD.

Harry
...on a dreary, foggy, Tuesday morning, online...

Well it appears the DVD & 2 CD set of this tour will be released in Nov. I plan to get this as I attended this tour. I have a bootleg of this concert, which isn't bad but this will be much better. Also includes extra bonus tracks and the cool part is the Everly Brothers are on it too.

The link at this site also brings you to order it also.

http://artgarfunkel.com/sgdvd.htm

Art Garfunkel is giving a solo concert at The Macomb Center For Performing Arts in February of 2005...! I might consider going, as he was the first person I saw perform there, back in January of 2000...!

Dave

Dave, I already have my tickets in hand, front row, for March 2005. I still can't believe it, my first ever solo concert by Art. I am hoping I can get backstage to meet him.

Well, have a good time, Chris! And bring Art something to sign, too...he's good about that. In fact, I'm planning to have him be "the half" that will sign my Simon & Garfunkel Old Friends 3-CD set, when I go see him!

Dave

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Well it appears the DVD & 2 CD set of this tour will be released in Nov. I plan to get this as I attended this tour. I have a bootleg of this concert, which isn't bad but this will be much better. Also includes extra bonus tracks and the cool part is the Everly Brothers are on it too.

The link at this site also brings you to order it also.

Look forward to this release , great to have Live CD / DVS sets from this memorable tour -probably last S&G tour ....I can see both performing occasional concerts / benefits ....but another World tour is a long shot .... :sad:

Interesting that Citizen ....was written in early 1980's ...not recently as some fans claimed by Paul Simon ...S&G recorded whole album of new songs , then after disagreements ...Simon canned the lot and re-recorded these tracks for his Hearts & Bones album .... :wink:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom