Singer Laura Branigan dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Singer Laura Branigan who had songs like "Gloria", "Solitare" (not the Carpenters/Neil Sedaka song), "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You" (later covered by Michael Bolton), "Self Control" & "The Power Of Love" (later covered by Celine Dion) has died at age 47. Read more at: www.canoe.ca/JamMusic/aug28_branigan-ap.html Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I can't frickin believe it! this really sucks. She was only 47. Laura was a very beautiful and talented singer whose work was never taken as seriously as it deserved to be. I think she was a better singer and more enjoyable to listen to than the likes of Celine Dion or anyone from her breed of singers. It's hard to deal with this type of tragedy. It just makes no sense. Why didn't she seek medical help? The article said she had a headache for 2 weeks before this happened. That should have made her realize something was wrong. Oh well, another bright light that burned out way too soon.

David,
wondering why people like Charles Manson will live through a nuclear holocaust........

Truly sad that another great singer has died at such an early age. Yeah...there's not a NEWBIE out there in the Music World who can compare with Laurie Brannigan (even if "How Am I Supposed To Live Without You", was, to me, a bit sappy...and written with Michael Bolton, who put out a version of it, too.)! :confused:

And "Gloria", is definitely NOT to be confused with the song by Shadows Of Night... :laugh:

Anyway, in a world of Mariah Carried's, Celine Di-Drone's and Britney Shears' and Christina Agularities', Laura Brannigan was REAL!! :D Wouldn't it have been neat if she could have collaborated on a song with Karen Carpenter?! :)

Dave

...Yeah, A&M Corner really does get The Latest News...Fast...!!... :shock:

You know this is so weird. Last night I got in the mood for some 80s music, so I pulled out my People 80s CD. It came with the humongous book of People's important people of the 80s.

I was listening to Gloria and I thought "What a great song!" I wonder whatever happened to her?

Now, I know.

I am so sorry that she died so young. Even though I am 15, I still consider 47 a young age to be dead. A great artist...

raz42289 said:
I am so sorry that she died so young. Even though I am 15, I still consider 47 a young age to be dead. A great artist...

47 IS too young. :sad: And when you're much closer in age to that, it's downright scary.

A man that was the motivation for three generations of music educators (including myself) this week passed away at 75 years young. E. Lowell Rogers was a big A&M Records fan, and I tell you this so you can see where his musical tastes lay.

47 is much to young but we all must be ready when we are called home.

(Juan Oskar getting reflective about age since I'll be 51 on 9/17)

BTW, she died of a brain aneurism. She'd had a headache for about two weeks and never had it checked out. She's now the new poster girl for what happens when you don't pay attention to your body...:sad:

Ed

Kinda eerie, what with having just lost Rick James as well, to lose yet another big pop star of the '80s at a young age so soon ...

I wholeheartedly agree that Branigan was really underappreciated; for having had a run of 7 Top 40 hits in the '80s, I really can't say I've heard her on the radio much in the last few years; "Gloria" I hear frequently, but that's the only one of her hits that the radio stations in my area ever seem to play - it's literally been years since I've even heard "Self-Control" on the dial. A shame, really - that and "Solitaire" and "Spanish Eddie" are really great singles. And I definitely agree that Laura was more talented than Celine Dion - I'll take Laura's version of "The Power of Love" over Celine's ANY day!
No matter what you thought about her material, you gotta really admire Branigan, though, if only for that she's one of the few female singers of the '80s and '90s to have that powerful of a voice and NOT "trill" and make a point of showing off her voice in every last instrumental measure. Mariah and Celine can't boast of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom