⭐ Official Review [Single]: 17. "ONLY YESTERDAY"/"HAPPY" (1677-S)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side A: "Only Yesterday"

Votes: 60 92.3%
  • Side B: "Happy"

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
I'd venture to say that "Only Yesterday" is a return to the C's early peak, putting all of their strengths into one glorious four-minute package.

Brilliantly summed up! Not only does the opening give me chills the same way I guess the intro of Close To You or Superstar does for others, but it’s the song that keeps giving more. From the rich, low notes and the dark lyric in the first verse (After long enough of being alone/Everyone must face their share of loneliness), to those beautiful minor chords and wavering, unsure lyric in the bridge (And when I hold you baby baby/Seems like maybe things will be alright), to the total shift to a positive message in the choruses (Only yesterday when I was sad and I was lonely). It’s the song that has everything.

If ever I get the opportunity I would like to know how the drums/drumbeat
for Only Yesterday were conceived. Did Jim Gordon originate that ? Richard Carpenter ?
Anyone know ? It, and Goodbye To Love remain my top two Carpenter/Bettis compositions.

If ever I get the opportunity I would like to know how the drums/drumbeat
for Only Yesterday were conceived. Did Jim Gordon originate that ? Richard Carpenter ?
Anyone know ? It, and Goodbye To Love remain my top two Carpenter/Bettis compositions.
My favorite drum track ever is Jim Gordon on "Only Yesterday".
I play that track, (4:10 version) at least 3 times per week.
Since 1975.
Seriously.

Jim Gordon definitely has a very unique and interactive drumming style on OY. We've never really experienced it before on a Carpenter recording. Almost like the technique that Keith Moon had with "The Who". They're not content to just sit back and provide rhythm, they bring the drums to the forefront of the production. That being said, I wonder what Hal Blaines' approach would've been if asked to provide the beat for this track or even Karen Carpenter's?

To be honest, years back I first thought it might be Karen drumming on this single, only because it’s absolutely crammed with tom tom fills.

I look at the two songs on this single and I’m simply amazed. What a 45!!!! The only time in the duo’s history where we got TWO new songs on one single prior to the album’s release. Both superb songs, vocals and arrangements.
Even more amazing when you consider how few songs materialized on the album.

Curious, I looked up the current status of Jim Gordon. He is still incarcerated and was diagnosed as recently as 2017 as still extremely psychotic and unstable if off his medications. He has been denied parole numerous times.

A sad tale for such a talented musician.

Worth noting that Happy was one of two b-sides (the other being the single version of Can’t Smile Without You) to make it onto Singles 1974-1978 (both chosen presumably as they loosely met the interpretation of “singles”).

Only Yesterday has to win out. It’s Carpenters’ ultimate pop single. Karen explores her lower register in the verses and then there’s that uplifting chorus, with more hooks than you could shake a stick at.

The video also has everything, with Karen and Richard in the recording studio and then at the sunny Huntington Library Gardens. Reassuringly, it doesn’t seem to have changed that much if the Wikipedia photos are anything to go by, the Japanese bridge still being intact.

Even the single cover had longevity, inspiring the artwork of the later Yesterday Once More compilations.

I like Karen’s hairstyle in this period too, it really suits her. Carpenters manage to look cool at this point.

I like Karen’s hairstyle in this period too, it really suits her. Carpenters manage to look cool at this point.
Is Has always fascinated me to the way they looked during this era. It seems around 1974 they started to look a little more like human beings. I know the designs of the early 1970s were certainly a sign of the times, but it seems like from the mid to late 70s they finally got their looks right. Unfortunately in 1981 Karen’s poodle hairdo never really did much for me.

Worth noting that Happy was one of two b-sides (the other being the single version of Can’t Smile Without You) to make it onto Singles 1974-1978 (both chosen presumably as they loosely met the interpretation of “singles”).

Only Yesterday has to win out. It’s Carpenters’ ultimate pop single. Karen explores her lower register in the verses and then there’s that uplifting chorus, with more hooks than you could shake a stick at.

The video also has everything, with Karen and Richard in the recording studio and then at the sunny Huntington Library Gardens. Reassuringly, it doesn’t seem to have changed that much if the Wikipedia photos are anything to go by, the Japanese bridge still being intact.

Even the single cover had longevity, inspiring the artwork of the later Yesterday Once More compilations.

Agreed. The "Horizon" album cover is their very best.

Ed

It did very little for Agnetha from ABBA either, it seemed to age her by about 10 years (also 1980-81). It must have looked good on some, but not Karen or Agnetha.

It didn’t look good on any of them!

29f0710a82b7ccd243fb834fcba0a6bf.jpg

Sorry, but I disagree. The Horizon cover is one of the worst. I think they could’ve used a better photo than that. Maybe one from the session that produced the 2nd NA “Gold” 35th Anniversary CD, where Karen was smiling.

I’d say their best cover was the “Ticket To Ride” reissue with the ship. 2nd would be the Gold that I mentioned, or “Passage”. I also like the 2 Christmas covers, “As Time Goes By” and the cover to Richard’s “Time”.

Going off topic here, I know, but is it just me that thinks the A Kind Of Hush cover is a bit weird? To me it looks like a wedding photo.

I like the fact that they aren’t smiling on Horizon. Apart from Now and Then (which appears to show the car moving?), it’s the only original album cover where they aren’t.

So, how is it I have managed to go all these many years not realizing that the
opening drum beat for Only Yesterday strongly resembles the opening drums for
Be My Baby by The Ronettes ?
Oh well, that is where the similarity in drums between the two songs ends.

So, how is it I have managed to go all these many years not realizing that the
opening drum beat for Only Yesterday strongly resembles the opening drums for
Be My Baby by The Ronettes ?
Oh well, that is where the similarity in drums between the two songs ends.
I had put that part about Be My Baby in my new and upcoming review of Horizon revisited! Great minds!

Here is an article about Hal Blaine's drum-opening:
"...laid down one of music's most memorable opening riffs on the Ronettes' Be My Baby."
Source:

Funny thing is, I always thought Jim Gordon's "opening riff" on Only Yesterday was one of music's "most memorable."
I still believe it.

Back
Top Bottom