Single Versions We Still Want on CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Since this new single of Solitaire arrived recently, it made me wonder what are some other singles that we as fans really want to have released on CD for the first time???

Here are mine:

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (Edited Version 3:59)
Santa Claus is Coming to Town (original 74 Version)

Are there other singles never been released to CD?

I would like to have I Need To Be In Love single version released on CD again. It is on my Startrax CD but the sound quality is from the early 90s.

Can't Smile Without You would on the 45 is different. The only place I have found this one on CD is on The Singles 1974-1978. This has only been released in Canada so far.

Want my frank, honest, gut-instinct opinion of which single versions I want on CD? EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! :) (No pun intended! :wink: )

Consider this: we get compilations every year or two, different repackagings of songs and versions we already own, remixed more often than not. We finally have the original albums on CD with the "Remastered Classics" series. BUT, one thing A&M or Universal has never released is a true "Singles" collection...not a collection of the hit songs in whatever remixed version is available, but the original single mixes, in stereo AND/OR mono, as they appeared on the very 45s that appeared in the stores and played on the radio throughout the 70's. The only Carpenters compilation I own is the original From The Top box set, and I now own most of the Remastered Classics CDs. I would immediately buy a collection if it had pure, 100% untampered single mixes on it.

As much as A&M/Universal/Whoever-They're-Called-This-Week treats Carpenters' recordings as a perennial "cash cow", they could at least use some originality and put together a true collection of single mixes. I know more than a few people, music collectors like myself, who actually want a compilation like this one, and dislike this constant revisionist remixing and rerecording that do nothing constructive with the original performances except to "prettify" them.

Bring it on, Universal...there are already customers waiting!

Rudy said:
not a collection of the hit songs in whatever remixed version is available, but the original single mixes, in stereo AND/OR mono, as they appeared on the very 45s that appeared in the stores and played on the radio throughout the 70's.

Amen, and if we could only get them to release all those mono 45's on CD, this shameful incident of people profiting from other people hard work recently witnessed on ebay would be a thing of the past.

What you wrote Rudy is so true, I would be camped outside of my record store the day before release date for a official CD of original singles. :D

It is actually a very good idea & one that could be a huge hit with Richard behind it & with good promotion.

N.P. Mono 45-It's Going to Take Some Time...

One thing I've seen on another forum I'm involved with: music lovers out there just don't like the remixes! They expect to buy a CD titled "Singles" and hear the single versions of the songs. If anything, they'd like to hear the original versions they heard on their old 45s, on the radio, or even on the albums they used to buy. They can tell right away that what they're hearing on modern-day compilations isn't correct. These aren't even Carpenters fans like we have here--these are the same type of listeners who buy Motown reissues, the Atlantic R&B Singles box sets, the Stax/Volt box sets...there's a big market out there that isn't being served.

I just thought of something. How about Richard/Universal release a CD with the greatest hits or whatever exactly like the multi-tracks. The tracks would be un-mixed and they would have the counts and the fade would be longer. Exactly like Last One Singing The Blues .

Speaking of the single version of CALLING OCCUPANTS...In '77 I was 14 y/o and journeyed to my local record store for 15 copies of the single. I thought that by my purchase that it would push the single up the charts. Funny what extremes a fanatic will stoop to. Incidentally, I still have each copy. 14 of the 15 have never been played and they are safely nestled away with my CarpenterS treasure trove. Also, a local am radio station here in Portland referred to me on the air as the "CarpenterS freak" as I was very faithful with requests and kept the single no. 1 in the top ten for weeks. I was assisted by friends at school who received the radio station's request line # from me. Talk about your passion. Whew! Devoted. At one point the DJ put me on the air just long enough to give the Downey Fan Club's address. I really felt like I had accomplished something in the world of radio. It all seems so funny now. But, given another single, the CarpenterS freak may strike again!

Jeff

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom