• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Singles 1969-1973 original LP pressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Was the original Singles 1969-1973 album released on the silver/tan label, or the original ochre (brown) label? Saw the former the other night, but passed on it until I found out for sure.

If this is of any help, in the course of my Columbia discography research I came across three-ring binder books with old LP and 45 label sheets of labels that were clients of Columbia's custom-pressing division and/or labels in the Columbia Record Club's stable, and their LP and 45 sheets for A & M's silver/tan design each had a date of Nov. 8, 1973 stamped on the back (these were apparently sample proofs sent to the New York HQ). Measure that against the original release date of The Singles 1969-1973 -- Nov. 9, 1973, a day after the stamping of the label sheets, per carponline.bravepages.com -- and you'll have your answer as to which label design was the original.

I have 3 Singles 69-73 Lp's

1. Has the silver/tan label- dead wax reads: AM SP 3601 RCA 1 that ends with a circle with 2 dots in the middle. This label has the songs running all in the very center of the label. The words at the very top start w The Singles 1969-1973 then under that Carpenters.

2. Is different label. Same tan/silver color-dead wax read: AM SP 3601 P1, this label starts off the top with Carpenters then below that is The Singles 1969-1973, this one has the songs starting way off to the left side down to the bottom then starting again way over to the right side.

3. I have the Audiophile Canada Pressing with the label having A & M in yellow with audiophile in red letters. Dead Wax-SPJ-03601-A + followed by a triangle 381-X

Not sure I have ever seen the ochre color for the singles lp

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I have 3 Singles 69-73 Lp's
2. Is different label. Same tan/silver color-dead wax read: AM SP 3601 P1, this label starts off the top with Carpenters then below that is The Singles 1969-1973, this one has the songs starting way off to the left side down to the bottom then starting again way over to the right side.

That's the one I saw yesterday. I didn't check the runout area for any numbering, but the songs were labeled down both sides. It looked OK, but nothing special. I am still waiting to find the Audiophile version, to get the better vinyl.

A&M changed designs in 1973, but with Will's info about the labels, I'm inclined to think it was silver-label. The book I have isn't that accurate in telling where the changeover happened. :mad:

Rudy said:
I am still waiting to find the Audiophile version, to get the better vinyl.

I think this is probably one of the best sounding Carpenters LP that I own. I crank up the volume & it's simply amazing.

I would like to get my hands on the quad one too.

Oh forgot to mention that the Audiophile LP is also pressed on that see-through vinyl, not quite as purple color as my VOTH Lp but you can still see through it.

It's probably has the brown tint to it. I got Nazareth's "Greatest Hits" last night in the Audiophile version, and it, too, is on the good vinyl. (I passed up the first four Police albums on Audiophile...I figured with my having the SACDs already, I didn't really need these. :wink: )

I have seen an American pressing of the Singles 1969-1973 with the Classic Ochre label. I am pretty sure that it was originally released with the brown label.

raz42289 said:
I have seen an American pressing of the Singles 1969-1973 with the Classic Ochre label. I am pretty sure that it was originally released with the brown label.
Just curious: Did you take note as to what was written on the dead wax? May've been from either RCA's or Longines' (ex Capitol) record club . . . but anything is possible, I suppose . . .

I'm pretty sure that the standard, original issue SINGLES 1969-1973 was on the silver & tan label. I'm pretty sure I bought it upon release, and my copy has that label configuration. In my travels, I've never seen an ochre label on that album.

The only exceptions I can think of would be if a foreign release was still using ocher labels, or perhaps a record club edition that hadn't switched over to the newer label design.

Harry
NP: Carpenters, SINGLES 1969-1973

It would also appear that "ochre-label" issues of The Singles 1969-1973 would have likely emanated from Canada, as well. I glanced an eBay offering of this LP where you'd clearly see the ochre label -- but the person offering this copy at auction originates from Alberta, Canada. Besides, the A&M logo as on that copy is bigger than on Columbia-made U.S. pressings up to the label design switchover -- and comparable to Monarch pressings with the ochre label.

Wow so it did exist, uh, proved us all wrong, unless....that is a different Lp inside that cover? :shock:

...remembering when that happen to me on a Lp from Ebay....(I hate when that happens)....online...

W.B. said:
It would also appear that "ochre-label" issues of The Singles 1969-1973 would have likely emanated from Canada, as well. I glanced an eBay offering of this LP where you'd clearly see the ochre label -- but the person offering this copy at auction originates from Alberta, Canada.

It must be a very early pressing. My Canadian-made copy, purchased in early 1975, has the silver & tan label. W.B., do you have any info on which plant(s) pressed A&M's Canadian vinyl? Also, did A&M ever own it's own pressing plant (in the USA or elsewhere), or did they always contract out?

Murray

Murray said:
W.B., do you have any info on which plant(s) pressed A&M's Canadian vinyl? Also, did A&M ever own it's own pressing plant (in the USA or elsewhere), or did they always contract out?
I do know that Columbia of Canada handled pressing for A&M starting in the mid-to-late-'70's; as I don't live in Canada, I couldn't tell as to who would've handled them prior, but I believe Quality Records may've pressed for them earlier (i.e. the ochre-label era).

Also, while A&M had owned its own studios, they did not have any manufacturing facilities of their own, thus they always contracted with other plants, such as Columbia and Monarch in the U.S.

Since this thread is titled: Singles 1969-1973 album

I had to tell you that I'm here tonight with my Sony MDR V600 headphones on listening to my Audiophile Singles LP, I can't stress enough how I can hear every sound coming off each song, every noise from each instrument is just unbelievable. I just don't hear all these sounds from the regular singles LP. For example, Superstar is playing now & even the soft taping of the drums are soo evident & the tamborine shaking is incredible, it's so cool to hear these sounds with the same audio level as Karen's vocal. It's hard to put into words but it;s like the instruments are just as loud as Karen's & Richard's vocals & the overdubbing. It almost makes me appreciate more the arrangement & the Richard's pick of instruments used on these tracks & how well they bring out the best in Karen's vocal.

Hope I'm making sense.

...Relieving my days stress, with the sounds of the Carpenters, online....

Several years ago I was in a used record shop and saw THE SINGLES 69-73 in quadraphonic sound. I DIDN'T buy it. Can you believe it? I've been kickin' myself. I did return shortly thereafter but it was gone. Since that time I've fervently scoured EVERY used record shop here in Portland. I dig thru every CarpenterS section with a real sense of purpose. I know, how out of character. Does anyone at THE CORNER have a copy of said album? If so, How does it sound. I would love to hear an album actually designed for "surround". My 5.1 simulates this experience...still I can't help wondering about the original.

Lost but not forgotten,

Jeff

There are some older threads dealing with the Quad issues. I have the SINGLES 1969-1973 in quad - interesting mixes.

Harry
NP radio at work

I finally grabbed that copy I saw a few weeks ago.

One thing I noticed other than the remixes: is side 1 sped up? It sounded too fast to me. (I'm very sensitive to that.) My turntable was a hair fast, but not by THAT much.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Since this thread is titled: Singles 1969-1973 album

I had to tell you that I'm here tonight with my Sony MDR V600 headphones on listening to my Audiophile Singles LP, I can't stress enough how I can hear every sound coming off each song, every noise from each instrument is just unbelievable.

That LP release is probably the closest to the source tapes as you'll find. I'm still looking to buy any of the A&M Audiophile series LPs that I can find...but they're not very common. I have only three right now, but they are all very VERY close to the CD versions...they're that quiet.

Shoot...this Singles LP I just got is just a hair off-center. This one may go on eBay. :sad:

Harry said:
There are some older threads dealing with the Quad issues. I have the SINGLES 1969-1973 in quad - interesting mixes.

Harry
NP radio at work

I believe our forum friend Jon Urban has it as well--he's a Quad collector. I did look through the Quad section when I went, but didn't find anything A&M related. Did get some more half-speed LPs though. :thumbsup:

OK, I just spot-checked Side 1 again: the tracks "Goodbye To Love" and "Rainy Days and Mondays" are most definitely sped up. "Top Of The World" is just a very tiny bit fast, and "Ticket To Ride" may be also. The others sound OK though. Very odd, IMHO.

As I mentioned way back here, I used to think that "Superstar" was sped up to match the key of "Rainy Days And Mondays" and/or "Goodbye To Love". Perhaps it was to match the recorded connectors' key, but you'd think they'd have just recorded THOSE in the proper key.

Harry
...also wondering, online...

Rudy, Got lost here for a sec, what LP are you speaking of that is speed up, the Singles Quad or the Singles Audiophile? Not sure which your were referring to in your posts above.

Edit, My Audiophile LP is simply amazing to me, (does not sound speed up to me) I swear it is one of the best Lp's I think I own of the Carpenters. I didn't think Lp's could sound any better until I got this months ago. Best purchase I made.

No, mine is an early pressing, not the audiophile or quad version.

I walk around perpetually lost. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom