• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Singles 69-73 LP w/out intro and trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I have recently acquired another copy of The Singles 1969-1973 LP. I was excited because it was of the silver label era.

Anyway, I dropped the needle down and noticed that the usual into that starts with Close to You was not there. Not even the whole song of We've Only Just Begun. It fades in about 2 seconds of the original track.

I was surprised so I inspected the LP.

Side A
In the dead wax, there is no handwritten signing. There is stamping that reads Columbia NY and a stamped SP 3601-1B.

Side B

a handwritten <B-TR>
SP 3602
G1
G 10

Have I stumbled on to something :?:

I must have something really rare! Is their anywhere I can find out what this really is and how much it is worth?

You will not beleive this :!:

The Singles 1969-1973 has always had the trilogy of Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays, and Goodbye to Love that segue perfectly together. This one doesn't. :!:

It starts with Superstar and it has the normal sped up track. At the end, of Superstar it starts to fade out then ends.

2 seconds later Rainy Days and Mondays starts with the last part of the Superstar intro. The rest of the song is exactly like the other part untill...

Rainy Days and Monday has the re-recorded me down and then fades out. After 3 whole seconds Goodbye to Love starts to fade in but a second or 2 is lost.

Is this intesting or what :?:

Has anyone ever heard of this :?:

I would really like to know what I have here :!:

Just a wild guess: could it be some kind of record club edition?

How is the sound quality otherwise?

Harry
...not knowing what the heck this is, online...

It sounds okay though my turntable and surround system are rather on the cheap side. Only about $270.

I thought to myself could this be a foreign release, bootleg, or fan club edition. But is a Columbia NY pressing and the only difference is a CRC on the back and no barcode.

raz42289 said:
the only difference is a CRC on the back and no barcode.

That's it. CRC is a code for a Columbia Record Club edition.

Harry
...helping solve the mystery, online...

Almost all of my 8-tracks have CRC on them so I thought it was nothing special. Thanks for helping me solve the mystery Harry.

I figured it was a record club edition. They're notorious for very poor sound quality and shoddy packaging. And in this case, no clue on how to properly assemble an existing album. I have yet to hear ANY CRC vinyl that sounds good--you figure that back then, record companies would supply the record clubs with copies of the masters that are at least a couple generations away from the originally released LP. I'm now careful not to buy anything that has "CRC" on it. For CDs it's not quite as big of a deal (since the labels can send out digital copies), but I do also avoid CRC tapes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom