Singles box on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgra

Well, I received an e-mail that the singles box has shipped from Japan. It's coming via an overnight carrier, so it should be here in two days...

Have any of our Japanese friends picked one up yet?

David

Cool David, will you be posting your review here or on your website? I've not ordered yet still deciding. I originally had an order in but then the date changed and have not re-ordered.

I think I'm waiting to find out if "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" will be the original 45 version. If it is, I might be trying to find one of these.

Harry

Thanks Chris for the pic, first I have seen this, it sure looks like a nice box set and from the pics nicely done. I too am keeping my eye on this.

I wonder if this is limited edition numbered on the box?

I will definitely post a mini-review here once I get the set -- I'm dying to know about the mixes for "Santa Claus," "Calling Occupants," "Ticket to Ride," "Please Mr. Postman" and several others...

I checked the tracking for my package, however, and after 24 hours it still only says it's been picked up in Japan, not that it has arrived in the U.S. anywhere, so I'm kind of doubting that I'll see it Thursday afternoon...

David

I don't understand why there is no mention of this box set on the official site on the news page. Japan was huge for the Carpenters and I would have thought Richard would have identified this release on his website.

As a side note-there is a mis-spelling on the front page, here is the copy and paste, can you see it? It's been bothering me for weeks. :shock: :laugh:

Califronia State University Long Beach

I think the official site concentrates on Richard, I feel there isn't enough focus on Karen, apart from that one tribute paragraph about her voice. It's more about Richard, what he's up to now, and his car collection than anything else.

I mean, I know he's the one who's still alive, but still...

And Chris - I noticed the 'Califronia' mistake too!

Stephen

David, hope you are going to receive the box very soon.

Chris, the box has number.

I received the box on the release day. Beautiful set!! :love:
Thank you very much, Richard!!
Thank you very much, Yuka!!

I haven't listened to every CD yet. I think all the mixes are just the way that I have guessed so far. "Ave Maria" as well.

Mitch's name is on the booklet!!

Here is the box set page at Universal Music site. Written in Japanese but you may read how many minutes & seconds of each song.
http://www.universal-music.co.jp/u-pop/artist/carpenters/carpenters_disco/uidy9034.html

(Old thread has song list.
Single Box Set 2006 March 
http://forum.amcorner.com/viewtopic.php?p=53709

HMV Japan page was changed after the delay.
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1245168 )

Sakura

EDIT:
'Universal Music Japan new releases 2005 & 2006' is on news page.
Universal Music Japan released "22 Hits of the Carpenters, 10th Anniversary Edition" on December 7, 2005. This releases includes a Carpenters Karaoke DVD. Planned for June 2006 is a new box set of 3" CD singles, a real collector's gem.
It has not been updated.

OK, the set arrive this morning! I'm on my way out the door, but I had time to pop in a few discs and here's some of what everyone's been waiting to hear:

"Ticket to Ride" -- stereo album version (not the mono edit found on the U.S. single)

"I Kept on Loving You" -- DOES have the clean start from the single mix, which makes it different from the album mix

"Top of the World" -- original album version, NOT re-recorded 1973 version (in keeping with the story that its success as a single in Japan gave Richard the push to re-record it and release it as a single in the U.S.)

"Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" -- indeed, this is the original version of the song, not the 1984 remix for AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS

"Please Mr. Postman" -- original single mix

"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" -- single edit, starting where Karen first sings, "In your mind you have capacity to know..."

That's all I've been able to listen to so far; I'll post more tonight after I get back home. Sound quality varies quite a bit -- "Santa Claus" sounds pretty bad (a lot of distortion in it), while "Please Mr. Postman" sounds a lot better than on the UK version of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE.

The little 3" CDs are each in their own plastic sleeve, which are a real pain to open. The box is essentially 7"x7", about the size of a 45 rpm single, and inside are four compartments, each containing a stack of discs. The liner notes are extensive (the book is 56 pages long), but other than a handwritten note from Richard and the song lyrics, ALL the notes are in Japanese only.

That's all for now... more later. Let me know if there's anything specific you want to know about the set.

David

Thanks Sakura, nice that it is limited # printed.

David,

* Look to Your Dream the single edit or the Cd version with the tag ending piano by Richard.

* Could you elaborate more on the distortion on Santa Clause this is the primary reason for me getting this set but you scared me with that comment.

* Merry Christmas Darling was this lifted from the single verson on From the Top

* Yesterday Once More-is this the remix?

*Bless the Beasts-Is this the mono version from the US 45?

*Make Believe-Does this have the opening line from Karen?

This should do me for now. :D Thanks again.

I'm trying to work while listening to the set, and it means I'm not getting much done...

I started ripping each of the discs into iTunes, and, working sequentially, I've uncovered the first major surprise.

"Bless the Beasts and Children" is the SOUNDTRACK version of the song, not the album version used on A SONG FOR YOU. It is in stereo, and it has the vibes (or electric piano, or whatever it is) at the beginning instead of the English horn.

I get the feeling this fact will be causing a number of you to buy this set...

David

davidgra said:
Let me know if there's anything specific you want to know about the set.David

Thanks David, whenever you have more time if you could answer my above questions this just might push me over the edge on ordering this.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I think I've been pushed - darn it!

There are too many unique, unavailable anywhere else mixes on here to ignore.

I just placed an order with CD Japan, whose price was a little better than HMV Japan, and I had gotten a coupon for 500 yen off in the mail.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom