"SINGLES" Box Set Clarification from Richard;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
As the release date for this box set nears, and many questions surrounding it, I've spoken with Richard Carpenter's assistant Becky Boxberger to get direct information regarding the mixes included in this set, and the discrepancies in communication.

Becky said:
As far as Richard and I know, these "singles" are original mixes. Richard took time to review the request and specify the source, and the guys at the Universal Music archives spent time searching for the correct tracks. I have no knowledge of any alterations, and have not had any correspondence from Shun illuding to changes.

The gentleman "Shun" that she refers to is project coordinator on this release in Japan. Hope this clears up any confusion. -Chris

Becky said:
As far as Richard and I know, these "singles" are original mixes.
Well, that helps a little, but one still might wonder about discrepancies that might have originally occured between Japanese and US singles (were there any?), and if Richard might be referring to original "album mixes" as opposed to original "single mixes". There were some differences, some very minor, in terms of slightly different fade points, and the actual emphasis of certain musical elements over others.

My biggest concern here is whatever differences that could have occured betwen US and Japanese releases. Since I never heard the Japanese 45 singles, I wouldn't know what's authentic and what's not - hence my hesitation to spring for the big bucks for this set.

Sorry to be such a pessimistic stick-in-the-mud here, but I'm just not clear about these and what they are.

Harry

I tend to agree with Harry, original mixes could mean album mixes or single mixes. I almost would have been more convinced if he used the word single versions instead of mixes.

In the latest Gold CD Richard writes of Solitaire saying, The is the "single version" released to CD for the first time.

I'm also with Harry in the fact that I don't own all the Japanese original 45's, I only have 1 Japanese single 45 given to me from a friend, Hurting Each Other/Maybe It's You on ochre label #AM-130. What I found neat was on one side is the lyrics to the song, never seen that before on a pic sleeve 45.
japansingle456au.jpg

picsleeve3ei.jpg

lyrics9pm.jpg

outersleeve1fr.jpg

...who will keep his order for this set intact since Richard has reviewed the request and specified the source...

Harry said:
My biggest concern here is whatever differences that could have occured betwen US and Japanese releases. Since I never heard the Japanese 45 singles, I wouldn't know what's authentic and what's not - hence my hesitation to spring for the big bucks for this set.

Yeah I see what you mean. I'll try and get a little more clarification on that. -Chris

What's weirder is that Sakura found an article somewhere which stated that the Japanese single version of Solitaire was 3m27s long. I've tried all ways to edit that song down, and there's no way you can get it to anything like that. So I wonder if it was a typo. If not, then it only reconfirms that we have little idea as to whether the 'versions' we ultimately get on this set are truly authentic Japanese single versions, or not. Sakura can probably advise on the source better.

Stephen

Stephen, thank you for your effort to edit it down.

You misread my post again. My first message was
I found "Solitaire"(3:27), Japanese release in 1976. 45 single size but 33 1/3r.p.m.
Is this 3:27 misprint? I cannot play this now.

I was talking about small size LP which contains 4 songs, not single. B Side of the 45 size LP has "Solitaire"(3:27) and "(I'm Caught Between Goodbye And I Love You"(4:06).
3:27 was on the back cover of the LP.
I don't know if it was misprint or it was cut off the last of song thanks to time limit.
(Max 20 Series LP of King Record has 20 songs each on 1 LP. Carpenters, Burt Bacharach....
I don't know how many minutes 45 size LP could have.)
The small size LP was released in December 1976. 800 Yen.
(I think 45 was 600 Yen or 500 Yen in 1976.)

I don't know when Becky contacted with Shun. But January 1st, 2nd, 9th are holidays in Japan. We Japanese usually enjoy winter vacation at least until 3rd or 4th.
As we read Mitch's posts, we can guess Shun doesn't know the answer well. Mitch already posted some differences between American releases and Japanese releases.
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6574&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=16

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6574&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=28

You may contact with collectors whose websites were posted in Mitch's message.

Sakura

My gut instinct is that these are single mixes, not album mixes. We already know the original album mixes are on the Remastered Classics CD series, so Universal's people would not have had to do any digging in the vaults for the album versions. (They could just go to the digital master they made for the CD and pull it off, if that were the case.)

Whether the Japan or US singles had any differences...that's another story.

Rudy said:
My gut instinct is that these are single mixes, not album mixes. We already know the original album mixes are on the Remastered Classics CD series, so Universal's people would not have had to do any digging in the vaults for the album versions. (They could just go to the digital master they made for the CD and pull it off, if that were the case.) Whether the Japan or US singles had any differences...that's another story.

My thoughts exactly. However, I do still want to verify that the Japanese *versions* weren't [occasionally] an album mix here or there extracted from an original 1/4" and transferred to the original 45. If that was the case, there could still be a search for a separate tape, however it could still contain a copy of an album mix. Sounds redundant, but not unlikely. -Chris

I think a good example of our concerns can be found in "Ticket to Ride." I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Japanese single of "Ticket to Ride" contains the full stereo album version from 1969, not the mono edited version that was released in the U.S.

And of course the B-side to that single in Japan was not "Your Wonderful Parade," so the strange mono version of that song won't appear in the box set.

I'm going to buy the box set, regardless of these issues, but I'm sure hoping for at least a few treasures, like the orignal single version of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Yown" and the edit of "Calling Occupants."

David

davidgra said:
I'm going to buy the box set, regardless of these issues, but I'm sure hoping for at least a few treasures, like the orignal single version of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Yown" and the edit of "Calling Occupants."

David, I have a note into Richard about the specifics regarding Japanese vs. U.S. *versions* (i.e. "Postman", "Santa Claus", "Solitaire", "Calling Occupants", "Look To Your Dreams" "MCD", and so on). As soon as I get word back, I'll post it here. Probably not until around Wednesday sometime. -Chris

It was just a couple of days ago I have received a phone call from Universal Music Japan asking me to write linernotes for the sigles boxset.

What??

It is already mid January, and the box needs to come out on March 2nd. I had long assumed they had asked somebody else to be account for it ...... Isn't it way toooo late to ask???

What I have gotten from Universal Music is a bit surprising :
"We still do not know which mixes would be included in the set. We have been doing everything and anything to include original Japanese singles mix but that does not seem to be the case. We still do not know which song which versions yet. "

Well, I did not speak with Shun this time. Shun has been promoted and working A&R is somebody who works under him. Shun has been responsible for making contacts with Richard on tnis project though. When I had met Shun in late fall last year, he said it was all depends on Richard -- if Richard can find Japanese original single mixes and if he does not, if he would be willing to work on the sound from original Japanese singles disks but not from original tapes etc. Also he said Richard should be mastering them with his usual mastering guru.

When I spoke with working A&R on the phone, he even did not confirm if Richard and Burnie has mastered them. I would say it is easy for us, enthusiastic Carpenters fans, to assume Richard would not allow anybody to master Carpenters works but Bernie.
So, I am not sure if this new A&R is well informed or does not want to specify ANYTHING for some reaasons -- he asked me to write linernotes in general terms, and not going into different versions, which I found it a bit confusing. We all understand a boxset such as this is for music enthusiasts but not for genenral music fans. I do not think they want another general linernotes from me.

A Japanese Carpenters collector had leased original Japanese singles to Universal Music. They have original artworks and also music. If UN people play those 45's, they should know which version. Or as always, they must be way too busy to take time to make such comparison.

People, I do not know. I do not have enough info to specify and tell you which versions.

Yuka

Thanks for passing along that information, Yuka. We appreciate it. If you get more details later on about this project, it would be great to hear them straight from you.

Harry

This is getting more and more interesting by the week. :laugh: In any case I'm keeping my pre-order in place. I wonder if the release date will get pushed farther in the future since Richard seems to be involved and we know that Richard doesn't release anything unless it's just right.

I agree that this is really a collectors edition for the true Carpenters enthusiasts not just casual listeners in general.

...single mixes vs album mixes, us single versions vs japan single versions, still wondering, online...

Chris, did you hear back from Richard's office about specifics regarding Japanese vs. U.S. versions on the upcoming box set. Just a little over a month for the release date.

No, actually Becky and I have not talked about that since the original request. I will ask her again, but I know Rich has been busy, particularly with the upcoming Dionne Warwick show tomorrow night in L.A. Hopefully she has already discussed it with him and can give me the low-down. Thanks for your patience. -Chris

Ok, I just talked to Becky. She said that all Richard has received on this thing is the flyer/advertisements, but has not been given the project yet. As soon as he gets it and listens to it, she's going to let me know what he hears and whether or not the correct mixes are included, and where the mixes originated. Again, we're sort of left waiting for confirmation.

I only hope that this isn't going to delay the release. :confused: -Chris

I appreciate your report, Chris.

well, I have finished writing linernotes as Universal Music had requested. Meanwhile I had communicated Oken who had contributed/rented original Carpenters singles to UM to reproduce original artworks.

Oken was obviously asked to check which version and what are the differences. He was checking things in detail. So I take UM will indicate versions and differences according to his report, and I have decided to write about things that are general and not going into details of the difference between album versions and sigle versions.

I myself do not know what it means. I just have to hope UM is including original singles mix. I think I have seen a post stating UM is not aware of the existance of different versions. That is a false statement. They are very well aware that there are different versions such as original album mix, original single mix, re-recorded singles mix, re-mix etc etc.

In the past, this one A&R who did not know anything about it, and had compiled original album mix into new "22 hits". Oh boy what a surprise when I had listened to that album. It was reported immidiately and that particular "22 hits" was in the market probably only for a few months. Thus, a rare collector's item created. He was a very short lived A&R and no longer works for UM.

I too hope this singles boxset will come out on March 2nd. Though they were supposed to update me as often as they could.. I was only updated once since last I had posted. It was about Oken completed his report which I had alredy known by communicating with Oken personaly.

Well, folks, I really hope this is going to be another great boxset release!

Thanks,
Yuka

Well, I figured this would happen. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's sad cause I was looking forward to this box set. But if Richard has not approved it then maybe he wants to be more involved. Later Date? Let's hope. :sad:

CD Japan indicates "Released Postpoined"

I have spoken with working A&R of Carpenters on the phone just now. It was pulled out for the moment, but should be up on their release list in a couple of months.. hopefully. They are aiming May release, but they do not want to say it for sure.

To sum, they have decided to include ALL Japanese original singles mix, instead of .. "oh boy, we do not have mastertape of this single, let's see which version we should include if not original single version". If there was no original master, then it will be up to Richard. Personally I have encouraged A&R to please include original single mix even if Richard needs to get it from analog disk. To me, that is the only way to do it.

Folks, that is why the delay. Giving Richard more time to look for original single mix and work on them. We are very patient people and very used to waiting and waiting. It does not matter if it has to push a few months back.

I was extremely happy to hear what A&R has to say, as I was not quite happy when he explained they may include different versions other than original singles mix. I hope you feel the same way.

if you would like to secure the set, I am keeping my website ordering place up.
http://iceland.cool.ne.jp/yuka/english/Carp/index.html

I would not ask anybody to send me any money until a month prior to its release. If the exchage rate changes drastically, I will adjust pricing. I am keeping S&H fairly low also.
As I always say, I am simply helping fans. Probably I have been doing this for 10 years.

Thanks,
Yuka

Folks, the release of this set has been pushed back further. I have spoken with the one in charge, not a working A&R but his boss. They are in search for original master tapes, still ! And looking at fall/winter release. "Hopefully by and in November".

Well, we are very used to all those "waitings"!!! Let's just hope it will be an ultimate collection of Carpenters Japanese singles.

http://iceland.cool.ne.jp/yuka/english/Carp/index.html

Probably no online shop is taking any orders nor keeping them. Since mine is not an online shop, I am keeping orders which had been placed. If you are tired of "being cancelled" by online shops, you are welcomed to place your name on my list. You will find my updated info on the above URL.

Hope it helps!

Yuka

Yes, Yuka thanks for your update, your postings are always informational. I will still buy this whenever it appears, we fans are use to waiting and it will be worth it.

I wonder if the long wait could possibly lead into making the discs 5" instead of 3"? I think that would sell more sets.

Today I spoke with my friend Mike Ragogna (who some of you may recognize in the credits of several Carpenters' reissues). He is a producer at Universal.

In our conversation, I made sure to bring up the question as to the release date of this set. He informed me that the word at the label is that the set is expected to see release finally in August. They've had difficulty locating some of the original 1/4" tapes, and have every intention of making this as authentic as possible, hence the delay. -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom